PAL 50/60Hz switch

:blink: Hi Devo,

I just read your post,

Wow,Superb,Brilliant.

Thats great to know.

The machine looks so much better in full screen.

The megadrive also loks awsome in RGB 60hz.

I have rainbow islands extra on it and i placed it inside an arcade cabinet,It looked better than the original Taito PCB. : :blink:

Great Divo,

I hope you enjoy the Saturn.

Its one of my favourite machines along with the PC engine.

Do you have Radiant silver gun,

Saturns finest moment and a landmark in video games history.I paid £25 when it was released and sold it for £35 :huh

Got it back though :eek:wned

Thanks very much,

Ian. :thumbs-up:

Hi

I havent really got a very big collection, all originals though. My original collection from 199*? was stolen which is a pity. Which brings me to this mod chip thing, my 1st saturn was the 1st model with oval buttons and it was mod chipped, Im guessing chips for these originals no longer exist?

Thanx again for all your help ppl

Hi Devo,

Sorry to hear your Saturn collection got stolen. :angry:

I hope the culprits get caught and have a real bad punishment. :flamethrower:

With the Chips Devo the main compatability issues are to do with the ribbon cable and how many pins it has.

It can be quite confusing as to which chip fits wich machine.

You are on the wright track with this site though and there are some very good members who have a vast knowledge.

There are a few companys still selling the chips,

I have a few of them which apparently firt all (21) pin vershions.

(21) relates to the number of pins on the laser feed cable.

there are storys aswell of some of the chips not working due to manufacturing flaws etc,This is rare though.

With the Sat that you mentioned it is harder to mod beacuse the chip instructions state that one of its cables has to be soldered on to the 64 pin ic on the laser board.

As you probably know this little chip can be a little tricky to solder on to.

Another member reported that you do not have to solder on to this at all :huh:Just the cable itself.

I will have a look for the thread.

The seconmd generation are better for chip aplication as the ic on the laser board has 32 legs and is easier to solder on to.

I use the swap trick and it works everytime,Its a little tricky but does work.

Hope this info helps you out.

Cheers,

Ian. :D

Well I'm back again :D

I've found a couple of places selling modchips to allow play of CD-R's - Although I'm not sure if they will work with my version of Saturn.

Croft, you said my Saturn was a 32pin earlier in the thread, do all modchips work with my type of Saturns, or is there some that don't?

Thanks B)

HI Miobocca,

Sorry to be late in posting.

I found a pal vershion of Virual fighter 2 lying around so i can test this with the Sats that we have.

Will test asap.

The Chips do tend to work better for the 32 pin machines.

Which ones i will get more info on.

I watched some films on a video card for one of the sats last night,It was suprising how good the Sat is at VCD.? :unsure:

Will be back with much more ifo for shure.

Ian.

I just tried the 60hz mod on my Model 2 Pal 21/32 pin Saturn. The first time, I joined JP1 using a pencil and tested it, but it would play at 50hz for a few minutes and then the screen would go black. So I opened it up again and carefully soldered JP1. Now nothing happens when I turn it on, not even the power LED comes on, and it makes a high pitched noise when turned off. I'm not sure if it's dead. :(

Hi Funzo,

Thanks for the post.

Have you got access to a dijital camera?

The Saturn you have Funzo sounds like its the model with the small surface mount resistors on the board.

The 64 pin Sat mod does work.

I have done over 10 of these and all are ok.

I do have further info regarding the Sat model 2.

With this model you may have to make a break in one of the tracks on the board.

I have received this info in the last hour.

Its sounds like something has either shorted or is short ;) ing inside your machine.

I have yet to try a 32 pin machine myself,But this i will do this week.

Does power get to the system when you turn on Funzo.

If so we can presume that the psu board is ok.

Does the laser spin round when the lid contact lever is in contact?

The laser board board should be ok.

Have you tried desoldering the contact and powering up?

If you could please let me know i will try and help you out as much as i can.

Kind regards,

Ian.

Info received so far,

This i will clarrify.

Attachments

• s.jpg
    s.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 97
  • s.jpg
    s.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 97
hey Funzo, if the LED doesnt come on the fuse might be blown. It's on the power supply board, a tube-shaped transparent 'capsule' of approx. half an inch in length. If it's not blown, you should see one or more very thin wires running through it. If the wires are absent or the thing is black, it's blown.

Stick in a new one (it's amp rating is written on the side). If the thing blows again, you have a short somewhere in your Saturn.

Hi Croft. Firstly thankyou both so much for helping me.

Yes, there is a small resistor connecting JP2 in case it isn't visible in the picture.

When I turn it on the power light doesn't come on and the CD doesn't spin. I haven't tried desoldering JP1 yet.

AntiPasta, I pulled the fuse out and tested it with multimeter and it seems ok.

Attachments

• board.JPG
    board.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 122
  • board.JPG
    board.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 116
Hi Funzo,

Thanks for the post and picture,Very helpfull.

The pic is exactly the same as the model that a freind ,managed to do Funzo.

I will have a go at this myself this week and post the findings.

With the Saturn Funzo have you tried the fuse in the power lead itself?

Sorry to ask this but it may hopefully be this fuse instead.

At the moment Funzo i have 3 Sega 32 pin models.

One should be exactly the same as the one you have.

I will try the mod that my freind sent me and this should work.

If all is ok please contact me and i will post the PCB and psu to you.

Its the least i can do as i started the thread on modding and wouldnt wish for anybodys Saturn to not work. :thumbs-up:

He deffinatly got the machine running full screen and Jap compatability.

Will be back asap,

Cheers,

Ian(uk)

Well, I've desoldered JP1 and everything is working perfectly in 50hz again!

Unfortunately this will be my last post for a while because I am going on holiday for 2 weeks. The good news is that I am going to Hong Kong and will be on the lookout for rare and interesting Sega systems and games. :D

Hi Funzo,

Thanks for the post,

Great to hear the Sega Saturn is ok again.

I can only presume that the track has to be cut as in the diagram on this model of Saturn.

I will do this mod asap and post the results.

Hope you have a good time in Hong Kong ;)

Cheers,

Ian. :thumbs-up:

Originally posted by Funzo@Jan 20, 2004 @ 07:49 AM

Well, I've desoldered JP1 and everything is working perfectly in 50hz again!

Unfortunately this will be my last post for a while because I am going on holiday for 2 weeks. The good news is that I am going to Hong Kong and will be on the lookout for rare and interesting Sega systems and games. :D

Funzo

Go to the Golden Super Market!! Its a short train ride or you can walk. Its up Nathan road. Also the temple street markets are on every night on temple st, Awesome stuff to find there. All in Kowloon,,,

Have fun!

Just posting this from my hotel room in Wanchai. Thanks for the tip DeV0, I'll check it out tomorrow because everything is closed today for Chinese New Year. Kowloon is near here, it's like living in Shenmue II!

Sorry for getting off topic.

What info are you after MiaBocca?

Going by the pictures that you posted earlier, your Saturn has the 32 pin IC on the CD board. That means that a 21 mod that you'd get from Lan-Kwei, Jandaman or anywhere else should work fine.

Originally posted by Funzo@Jan 22, 2004 @ 10:17 AM

Just posting this from my hotel room in Wanchai. Thanks for the tip DeV0, I'll check it out tomorrow because everything is closed today for Chinese New Year. Kowloon is near here, it's like living in Shenmue II!

Sorry for getting off topic.

Great

I love hong kong, plenty of friends there. If you ever go to the new territory there is a giant mall there with many shops of interest. Also the dragon centre that is near the golden supermarket.

If you do the temple st markets, try and find the "very good taylor" they do great suits.

Also the devils advocate on hennesy? rd on the island is an excellent drinking hole.

Have a great time, im very jealous

Back