Panzer Dragoon Saga - In-Game Music Replacement with Remastered Tracks

What I Want to Do​

Replace the in-game background music in Panzer Dragoon Saga with the beautiful remastered tracks from the "Resurrection: Panzer Dragoon Saga 20th Anniversary Arrangement" album. I'm talking about battle themes, exploration music, town themes, etc. - NOT the cutscene music embedded in .cpk files (that seems way more complex and I'm not interested in tackling it).

My Research So Far​

I've done some homework and found that:
  • People have successfully extracted .seq/.bin files from PDS ROMs (thanks fedex1 and others for the posts about this!)
  • CyberWarriorX's seq2mid and toncnv tools can convert Saturn audio formats
  • Extensive ROM modification appears to be possible based on community work
  • Nobody seems to have attempted music replacement specifically (please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Intended Approach​

  1. Extract PDS ISO using CDMage and locate .seq/.bin files for in-game music
  2. Analyzeformat specifications using seq2mid (via DOSBox) and toncnv to understand:
    • MIDI sequence structure in .seq files
    • Soundbank/instrument data in .bin files
    • Sample rates, bit depths, and any compression used
  3. Convertremastered tracks by:
    • Converting high-quality source audio to match Saturn specifications exactly
    • Rebuilding .seq files with proper MIDI timing and note data
    • Creating compatible .bin soundbank files or reusing originals where appropriate
  4. Replace original files maintaining exact directory structure and naming
  5. Rebuild ISO with proper ECC/EDC using CDMage or similar tools
  6. Testextensively in Kronos/SSF emulators, checking for:
    • Audio sync issues during gameplay
    • Memory problems from file size changes
    • Game stability and loading behavior

Technical Assumptions​

  • In-game music files are stored as separate .seq/.bin pairs in a BGM or SOUND directory
  • File size constraints may be flexible as long as total disc space allows
  • Saturn's SCSP audio processor specs should be preserved in replacement files
  • Timing dependencies between music and gameplay events need to be maintained
  • ISO rebuilding can be done safely without breaking Saturn-specific disc formatting

Resources I Have​

  • All 4 PDS ISOs (plus legally owned originals)
  • The "Resurrection: Panzer Dragoon Saga 20th Anniversary Arrangement" album in digital form
  • Modern development environment and tools
  • Patience and determination (I'm a diligent amateur with limited but growing technical skills)

Questions for the Community​


Has anyone attempted something similar with any Saturn game?

Are there any technical roadblocks I'm not seeing?

Any essential tools or resources I'm missing?

File Format: Are there any gotchas with the .seq/.bin format I should know about beyond what's in CyberWarriorX's documentation?

Audio Specifications: What exact sample rates, bit depths, and compression settings does PDS use? Any timing dependencies I need to preserve?

ISO Rebuilding: What's the best practice for rebuilding Saturn ISOs after file replacement? CDMage sufficient or are there better tools?

Testing: Any specific things to watch out for when testing modified PDS files? Game-breaking scenarios I should test for?

File Sizes: How strict is the Saturn about maintaining original file sizes? Can I go larger if needed or must I stay within original bounds?



This project is driven by my love of the game. PDS touched my heart when I bought it on release, and is still one of my all time favorite games. I do this because I want to contribute to the Saturn community, if I can. I intend to share everything I do and / or develop.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer. Looking forward to your thoughts!
 
Back
Top