PAR+ is so great!

ratfish

Established Member
I just bought one from GameGizmo (and I'm pretty sure they gave me one from their old stock) and it's probably a defect.

Long story short: I tried about everything; cleaning the PAR contacts, cleaning the Saturn contacts, wiggle that PAR ho around; NO DICE!

So I'm gonna buy an official Sega 4M cart and I wanted to know what features does it have compared to the PAR+. I already know it doesn't have the cheat feature or the country lock-out code thing.

What does it do for flash ram or does it have 4M of video ram?

hummm
biggrin.gif
, lets see. for starters, all that works is the cheat code feature.

the country code de-lockout doesn't work, neither does the 4MB backup ram.

so it's basically a useless defect!

lets see. for starters, all that works is the cheat code feature.

the country code de-lockout doesn't work, neither does the 4MB backup ram.

Could you describe, in detail, the way in which these functions are failing? This combination of working/nonworking functions is quite strange from a hardware standpoint.

Also, you've probably been given some incorrect information, so FYI:

- The 1MB/4MB cartridge RAM is not video RAM, just additional RAM for general data storage.

- The AR4M+ doesn't have 4Mbit (and certainly not 4Mbyte) of backup memory; copied saves share the same 2Mbit flash memory that contains the main AR program (which takes up 1/4 of the available space) and cheat code list. I do think the saves get compressed, so maybe it's possible to store 4Mbit worth of saves there. However, this depends entirely on how compressible the save data is; some developers might compress it before saving anyway...

Right, I know this post was sort of incoherent so I started a new topic, this new post, which describes my situation better, and goes over what methods I've tried.

Thanks

Back