PETA offers Hamburg, NY $15,000 to change its name

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
PETA is one crazy organization.....

http://www.boston.com/dailynews/112/region...ge_its_n:.shtml

''The town's name conjures up visions of unhealthy patties of ground-up dead cows,'' said Joe Haptas, spokesman of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), in a letter faxed Monday to Hamburg Supervisor Patrick Hoak.

PETA offered to supply area schools with $15,000 worth of non-meat patties for the name change.

''Our offer is serious as a heart attack,'' Haptas said.

Hoak immediately declined.

''With all due respect, I think it's a delicacy in our community,'' he said about hamburgers. ''We're proud of our name and proud of our heritage.''

The Buffalo suburb, named Hamburg since 1812, claims to be the birth place of the American culinary staple. Hamburg commemorates the birth of hamburgers at the annual Burgerfest.

In 1996, PETA proposed that the Hudson Valley town of Fishkill change its centuries-old name to Fishsave, since the group believed the name conjured up violent imagery of dead fish.

The town was named by Dutch settlers in the early 1600s. ''Kill'' is the Dutch word for ''stream.''

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

these people are so annoying its funny

Originally posted by Supergrom@Apr 22, 2003 @ 10:33 PM

I mean, come on now, i like animals as much as the next man, but some animals were meant to be eaten.

and do work
smile.gif
(horses, etc)

I still doesn't mean that you have to treat them like shit.
smile.gif

I agree though, even making that offer is a bit out there. Did they really think it would be taken up?

It shows how painfully stupid these PETA guys are, though... There's a Hamburg in Germany (major city up north) and I suspect that's what Hamburg over here is named after. The "burg" part appears at the end of many other cities' names in Germany as well and actually means "castle." Don't know about the Ham- though, probably just a *name* and possibly pure coincidence in that "ham" has a meaning in the English language.

Man, are these PETAs f?!ked up. :bs

aaron, u are as bad as a over religious mormon, if we want your views, we'll ask. If you dont like meat, good for you. Just dont tell us we are "stupid" for eating it....

Originally posted by aaron@Apr 23, 2003 @ 06:49 PM

oh by the way, eating meat is still stupid from any way you look at it.

It doesn't seem so quite stupid when I'm chowing down on a double-double.

I respect those who are vegetarian or vegan, who have the right idea in mind. After watching those peta propoganda videos, I was slightly turned off meat, and I tried vegetarianism... i went in with out a plan though, and I got sick. I was more disgusted with myself, because I was doing it for the wrong reasons.

it just doesn't make sense. unless you're looking at it from a convenience point of view, which is even still a grey area.

Originally posted by Supergrom@Apr 23, 2003 @ 10:20 PM

What doesnt make sense about it? we are omnivores at the top of the food chain. Even our teeth are still meant to eat meat and plants. If you choose not to eat meat, good for you. But I see nothing wrong with eating some meat (not in excess amounts, of course). And your right mal, a lot of animals do get mistreated, so I avoid fast food places, especially mcdonalds, who are notorious for getting meat from people notorious for mistreating animals.

well said :smash

well considering that if you were to go and live on green's alone you would die a nasty ass death.... anyways miracle of modern science all those drugs we can pop. but anyways like i was taught in bio class we need meat for protein simple as that and some other nutrients, plants for everything else.

Also if you wanna get technical on the whole subject did you know a plant screams when you cut it? did you know that when one person abuses a plant and that person walks into the room the plant shrinks back, but another person who treats that plant llike gold walks into the room the plant actually stretches out.

Another thing without us chewing on some good old protein not the estrogen laiden soy protein god soy any type of meat is just wrong.... anyways back to the point if we didn't eat those pigs, cows, and birds. 99% of em wouldn't get a chance at life and i live in farm country and i see what goes on and really alot of farmers live by a happy animal is a better animal.

like i was taught in bio class we need meat for protein simple as that and some other nutrients, plants for everything else.

As far as I know, the only nutrient that you can get from animals and not plants is cholesterol (and some people do have plausible-sounding arguments as to it being a good idea to have a moderate amount of dietary cholesterol; the general idea is that eating cholesterol stops your body from overproducing its own). Protein and all micronutrients I can think of are all available from plant sources. Still, as has been alluded to here, you generally can't just take an existing diet, remove all the animal products, and be left with a healthy diet. I've considered going vegan, but pretty much gave it up due to the absurd difficulty of finding good information on developing a healthy vegan diet.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Apr 24, 2003 @ 04:44 PM

like i was taught in bio class we need meat for protein simple as that and some other nutrients, plants for everything else.

As far as I know, the only nutrient that you can get from animals and not plants is cholesterol (and some people do have plausible-sounding arguments as to it being a good idea to have a moderate amount of dietary cholesterol; the general idea is that eating cholesterol stops your body from overproducing its own). Protein and all micronutrients I can think of are all available from plant sources. Still, as has been alluded to here, you generally can't just take an existing diet, remove all the animal products, and be left with a healthy diet. I've considered going vegan, but pretty much gave it up due to the absurd difficulty of finding good information on developing a healthy vegan diet.

well you may get the same nutrients, but in what quantities?

I'm not sure, but I don't think your average vegtable has the same amount of protein as you average piece of meat. It's like those Total cereal commericals --- "you have to eat 15 bowls of ______ to get the same amount of ______ as Total"
wink.gif

keep in mind i just said all that to get you all thinking about it. apparently it worked and i'm glad it did. you're all entitled to your own lifestyles, and i really don't care if you choose to eat meat or not. i just want everyone to think about it, one way or another.

now.. *ahem*

i live on plants and plant products alone, i eat no meat, no dairy, and no animal bi-products whatsoever. i am perfectly healthy (though i do eat too much junk food), and am of normal weight (160 lbs) for my height (5'11"). plants do not scream when you cut them, and they do not shrink when someone they don't like enters the room. that's absurd. when you hit a plant, it wilts, not because it feels bad, but because you've weakened it's stalk, or because you've damaged the structural integrity of the plant. when you hit an animal (dog, cat, pig, cow, whatever), it cries. it screams. it feels pain, and has emotions just like any other animal. it's true you do need protein, but protein from green leafy vegetables (i.e. broccoli, brussel sprouts, et al) as well as soy and wheat protein have up to a 40-60% absorption of protein, whereas meat from any animal has about an average of 25-30%. so in effect, you would have to eat MORE meat (hormones, cholesterol, and unnecessary fat included) just to get the same amount of protein that you would get from a plate of greens. the same is true with dairy, but that's a whole other case.

that's (essentially) why i don't think it makes sense. but here's why i do it:

http://www.veganoutreach.com/whyvegan/imag...ingDebeaked.jpg

http://www.veganoutreach.com/whyvegan/imag...tBitingCage.jpg

http://www.veganoutreach.com/whyvegan/imag...kinningpigs.jpg

http://www.veganoutreach.com/whyvegan/imag...ges/deadsea.jpg

(those pictures are from vegan outreach, and are in no way doctored.)

if you want to ask me any serious questions, or if you just want to make fun of vegetarianism some more, or whatever, please, please do. you're entitled to do whatever you want. so make your choice, but please make it an informed one.

also, excyber, that link you posted is a satire. none of the information in there is accurate, because it's not supposed to be.

Originally posted by Supergrom@Apr 24, 2003 @ 05:22 PM

You need to get some better pictures. My english teacher is vegan, and he showed us some scary shit. A lot worse than those anyway.

yeah i could find worse pictures, but on short notice, i took the easy way out. i do have worse pictures/videos at my home, but none online (and not all of them are vegetarian propaganda. some of them are neutral group studies.)

anyway, point made. whether it was taken to heart or not is another tale.

Meh. When a lion rips into the side of a gazelle it ain't too pretty either. We're meant to eat meat, we have the teeth for them and the ability to digest it. I know where my food comes from, and I'm okay with that. I don't have neato claws, huge fangs, or the ability to run at 30+ MPH, so I need people to raise it and chop it into bits for me. I suppose I could go out and shoot my own, but I hate guns.
huh.gif

(Don't get all offended either. I'm not trying to attack your position, I respect it. But this is mine.)

Back