Phantasy Star Universe Details Emerge!

Numerous gaming media sites have posted conflicting reports regarding a recent article in Shonen Jump which divulged new Phantasy Star Universe information.

Gamespot has hinted at it being a single player RPG for the PC and PS2. IGN on the other hand has reported that it's likely to be an limited online RPG or full-blow MMORPG. CVG Online also chimed in with word that it would be an online RPG, though it appears they've taken the liberty of adding a few of thier own facts. Given that no sources were named, thier article should be taken with a grain of salt.

Regardless, I would guess that these discrepencies (along with variations in the names or characters & locations) are the result of a poor translation.

I wish it was going to be a single player RPG, but I really don't think that's the case.

If it were single player, they'd be posting stuff about the main characters, like names and concept art. The somewhat generic characters hint it's actually multiplayer.

--EDIT--

Wait... there's a small bios for those two characters in the article... there names is in kana... Karen and Ethan. Maybe it's actually single player...

But geez, even the PSO generic characters had more personality than two. Talk about bland design.

Originally posted by M3d10n@Mon, 2005-03-21 @ 03:18 AM

If it were single player, they'd be posting stuff about the main characters, like names and concept art. The somewhat generic characters hint it's actually multiplayer.

--EDIT--

Wait... there's a small bios for those two characters in the article... there names is in kana... Karen and Ethan. Maybe it's actually single player...

But geez, even the PSO generic characters had more personality than two. Talk about bland design.

[post=131902]Quoted post[/post]​

What are you looking for? A blitzball playing blond surfer with overalls and a hoodie that reveals his belly?

I agree with you that they could have done better. He is bland, but hey. So was Chaz. So was Rolf. This dude is just a new generation of generic.

It's the personalities in the characters that count.

Speaking of...

Ethan is a 17-year-old trainee at a planetary security organization named the Guardians, and Karen works as his instructor there. Ethan and Karen, along with some friends, are charged with the duty of protecting humanity from the mysterious alien life forms

I like the parallels between this and Chaz and Alys' biomonster hunters plot in PSIV.

If it is an MMORPG like Final Fantasy 11, I would like the idea of these main characters being NPC's that go abou their universe saving story on their own.

The characters that you play would just be generic dudes that you create who hjave no huge destined role to play, but rather observe the actions of these heros from a citizens point of view.

Almost as if these Ethan and Karen characters were real celebrity heroes. You know, like Mazer Rackham, Ghandi or Oprah winfrey or something.

First Id like to say that CVG doesn't seem like they know what they are talking about. But thats just my opinion.

Second, (possibly my dreams and hopes coming out) possibly this is a new step in RPG that SEGA is trying to take. What if SEGA is trying to revelutionize MMORPGing by giving it a full story (reason I don't freakin' play the awful things, PSO being the only one I really ever enjoyed) and personal character but online capability. I don't know exactly how it could be done, but maybe thats why SEGA is keeping this so closed tight. They are rather secretive about it, maybe they are trying to blow RPG gaming apart like they did with PSO.

Hopefully they did do this, I am NOT looking forward to a MMORPG, please god oh dear god (SEGA) please bless me with a full story that enthralls me like the originals. PSO was great and all but only addictive for its hack and slash. Oh yeah and get your ass over to XBOX or GC, im really not looking forward to having to buy a PS2. (I might even actually not play it if its on PS2, I really feel that would be a waste of my money seeing how SH3 and PSU would be the only games I'd play on it)

Back