Pics, 21-pin model 1 mod

Well I did this mod on my model 2 64 pin. Works with the modchip I got from Gamegizmo.com. The only problem is that I can only play backups for about 2-3 hours before I get a cd read error. I then have to turn the saturn off for about 30 min before it can read backups again. During that 30 min the saturn reads retail discs fine. What the heck is up with that? Oh also a little gripe about Gamegizmo.com...I bought three modchips(buy two get one free) and 2 of the 3 were just dead chips. And they are all really dirty. Like they are pulls from old sega saturn systems and have been used for YEARS. Wierd. I let them know about the dead chips and they told me to send them back for exchange...we'll see how that goes.

I was a little dissapointed with one of my three Gamegizmo mods. I wondered if the deal was two good ones and a dead one free...

Upon closer inspection I found one of the ribbon cable socket pins was bent and shorting on another. I straightened it and all was well with the world.

I have no idea why your mod only works for a short period of time though. A heat related problem maybe?

my german Sat is also a model1 on the outside and 21pin on the inside, though the joypad connectors are still on a separate board. What´s strange is that I have a modchip of a different make with 2 cables and it installed in this and my backup unit (a genuine model2 but with a completely different motherboard design) the same way, no reversing needed. I begin to wonder how many different saturn revisions are out there. What about the white, JVC and clear units?

Originally posted by mal@Aug. 10 2002, 11:54 am

I was a little dissapointed with one of my three Gamegizmo mods. I wondered if the deal was two good ones and a dead one free...

Upon closer inspection I found one of the ribbon cable socket pins was bent and shorting on another. I straightened it and all was well with the world.

I have no idea why your mod only works for a short period of time though. A heat related problem maybe?

I was thinking the same thing...but the mod chip is not hot to the touch. I'm really stumped. I think it must be flea power...happens to computer components sometimes. Reflects poor design, usually. well at this point it is not that big of an issue. I just have to save a lot and take a break every couple hours...which I ought to do anyways...

Back