Playing backups on saturn.

So I just got a Saturn, and I want to play imports and backups on it. I want to avoid the chip as much as possible, because I don't have a soldering iron, and I really don't know how to to do it. I'd probably kill myself with it. Anyway, I heard from some people that you need the chip to play backups and the cart for imports. Is there a cart to play both? What about backed up imports? What would I need for that? Is there any type of boot disc I can get? Thanks

You are new, so first here is a bid of advice before someone gets cranky at you for this :D, make sure to search the forums before asking a question, it saves time and space.

To answer your question, carts do exist that allow you to play imported games, they simply handle the region lockout. If you are going to play backup games of any sort, imported or domestic, you need to use the swap trick or install a modchip.

Depending on your saturn, modding has become very easy, just a simple soilder to a power pin and then soildering the second wire to a pin on the modchip (see the modding sticky at the top of this category).

Good Luck, and make sure to search before asking again, will help everyone to avoid any issues :D.

cart is only for playing imports. You need it for imports even if you have a chip anyway. Might as well get one with 4Mb of RAM too since there are some really great games that need it.

But if you don't want to get a chip (which I still recommend since they are cheap) is the swap trick. There are tutorials on the main site for it.

No boot disc.

I am using the swap trick now. However I can't play my backup of Panzer Dragoon with it. Well I can, but there is no music and the graphics get all glitchy, plus the game messes up after I beat the first boss.

I really hate the swap, if necessary I will get the mod and I am sure my dad can get me a solder iron from his work, but I don't know where to get the chips from. Any cheap places that accept money orders or paypal someone can recommend?

Also would I need both a chip and a cart to play backed up imports?

the problems with PDS sounds like a bad burn or bad image -- nothing to do with the Saturn.

For import backups, it's best to convert the country code of the images with SatConv. Then you don't have to worry about it being an import

Originally posted by racketboy@Jun 4, 2004 @ 08:20 PM

the problems with PDS sounds like a bad burn or bad image -- nothing to do with the Saturn.

For import backups, it's best to convert the country code of the images with SatConv. Then you don't have to worry about it being an import

It wasn't Panzer Dragoon Saga, it was the original Panzer Dragoon. I tried Zwei and that didn't even load. I read a site that said the swap trick may cause some glitching.

Anyway I see the "Place to get a saturn modchip" thread below so I'll check that thread. Thanks anyway.

Originally posted by racketboy@Jun 4, 2004 @ 08:45 PM

huh -- never heard that PD swap glitch thing before.

as for the mod chip, I recommend Jandaman

I heard of jandaman before. Someone was talking about him on Mirc the other day. Do you think he would trade for the mod chip?

probably not unless you got something he really needs.

he runs a business. businesses usually don't do trades.

Back