Please, help me saving my Mega CD 1 model!

Well here I go again, about 8 months after my last try on another post, I wanted to test if there is something to do with that stupid Mega CD, so I tried it again.

This seems an Asian Mega CD (or something like that) that works with those two configurations: 60 Hz jap language (jap Mega Drive) and 50Hz english language (pal Mega Drive). With American configuration it does show the message "This is a PAL-Compatible Mega CD for exclusive use in southeast asia"

Anyway, the problem I always had with this Mega CD is basically that it does nothing more than show the clouds, without Mega CD logo or music on the background, and with the Ready light ON but the Access not. It does stay that way, infinitely... or that was what I thought, because I left it about seven minutes there and then it started showing the logo and playing the music. It surprised me, obviously, so I tried to do something. Pressed start but it does nothing, it only changes the japanese message below the logo, which I can't understand. I powered it off and on several times, it does start the music and showing the logo sometimes, and sometimes not... and finally it get back to it's initial status: it does only show clouds, and nothing more. I left it a lot of minutes powered one... but it does nothing.

If I haven't seen nothing more than the clouds I probably would have forget about it for some moths more, but beeing able to see the intro gave me some hope about making it to work.

Well, I add here two screenshots done with an emulator. The first one is what I always get, and the second one is what I get that time, with the message it shows for if someone is able to read it for me. Also, when I press start that message changes, but I have not an screenshot of that because I can't remember how the jap letters were :(

If I manage to 'boot' the intro at least one time more, I will try to add the last screenshot.

I hope someone could help me with that details of this strange behaviour... thanks!

Attachments

• megacd.gif
    megacd.gif
    19.4 KB · Views: 210
  • megacd.gif
    megacd.gif
    19.4 KB · Views: 120
  • megacd.gif
    megacd.gif
    19.4 KB · Views: 113
Well, I have been trying things with the emulator and I get the message I can't remember before. I have made an screenshot.

Anyway, as I have been able to get these messages on the emulator, I did the same things with european and USA bios with the emulator and the messages are these ones: the first one is 'Checking Disc' and the second, the one I get when I try to press start is 'Please Wait'

So it's pretty obvious that my Mega CD tried to check the disc... well, there is no disc inserted because I haven't been able to open the tray to insert one (and there is no one inside, I opened the whole Mega CD at its time.

Does someone know how to open the try the hard way?

I add this information, wishing someone could show a theory of why it's not working :)

Attachments

• megacd2.gif
    megacd2.gif
    10.4 KB · Views: 131
  • megacd2.gif
    megacd2.gif
    10.4 KB · Views: 118
  • megacd2.gif
    megacd2.gif
    10.4 KB · Views: 118
Many years ago my bro dropped the Sega and it had behavior similar to yours. It was still under warranty so we sent it to sega and they fixed it. According to them it was a loose ribbon cable or something (I really don't remember exactly). So it might be an easy fix.

by the way, the first pic says: checking cd

second pic says: please wait

Thanks for the opinions, I think that the last theory could be because of the fact that when I power on the mega drive & mega cd, sometimes it shows the clouds but if I turn it off and on again, it's hard to see them again. What I have to do is to unplug the mega cd from electricity and plug it again to make it 'work'.

How can I try to figure where is that kind of problem exactly, any idea?

Back