Poll on price of Saturn follow-up console

What would be a reasonable price for a Saturn follow-up console? (USD)

• $125-200

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • $200-275

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • $275-350

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $350-425

• $425-500

• Total voters
I have been sourcing and pricing parts for my plan to create a follow-up console to the Saturn. The prices are higher than I expected. I just wanted to post this poll to get people's opinions on what a reasonable end user cost would be. Additionally, I'd want to have a top-loading disc drive, rather than a PS3 style. However, the cost is higher. I don't know if fans would prefer to stick with the Saturn and Dreamcast style of disc loading?

Without any concept of what this thing is, I cannot answer.
If it's a quad-core J2 with software PCM audio and software rendering pipelines that outputs via video/audio DAC [AV] with 64mb of memory and a CD drive,

i still have nothing to say, since that's probably not what you are looking at, as that would be cheaper.

Last edited:
Well, that's fine. At least I know what you might be interested in. I think people would want different things. A lot of developers would have very specific wants. We know what the pricing is on regular consoles. This would be a console that would appeal to Saturn/Dreamcast fans and have some kind of carryover from those consoles, whether it is in hardware or software. I am looking at putting together a square console that would be about the same size as a Saturn. At this point, I think it would be something like 4-6 core with 8 GPUs, 4 threads, and running between 3.2-3.7 GHz. Based on hardware I've been looking at, it would probably be around 10 channel DAC with 7.1 channel playback and 16-24 bit PCM. The disc drive would probably be 8x read.

That gives me enough information to cast a vote.
And I suppose I have already exposed my bias towards the J2 core (seeing as it is essentially the Saturn SH2s).
Though I really do not know what it would take to actually get J2 cores manufactured.

It is ridiculously premature to talk about price when you have no idea of what you want to make, nor of what it will cost to make it. Do you have the skills required for a project of this scale? Maybe start with something small and achievable instead of thinking about what colour the retail box should be.

Price is a determining factor in what the console could do and what kinds of games could be played on it. I did want to mention that there is a larger discussion about this poll over at segasaturngroup. I have the skill required to put the system together. I've constructed multiple computer systems before and have experience with all three major operating systems and many console operating systems. The system would be similar in size and shape to the Saturn, but it would be like an updated Saturn. I do have an idea of what it would cost to make. As I said, I've been sourcing and pricing parts. The consensus between here and the other board is a final price point of $125-275. Whether something is achievable or not is up for debate. Will someone create a bootable Saturn disc? Maybe. Who knows?

Why not take a Raspberry Pi and write some sort of open source engine that closely resembles what the Saturn could render, quads and all?

I really don't know what processor you're talking about either.

I've constructed multiple computer systems before and have experience with all three major operating systems and many console operating systems.
Unless you're actually just talking about assembling a PC out of off-the-shelf parts, that's not relevant at all. And if you are, why would anyone care? Maybe some people would like a novelty Saturn-shaped micro-ITX case, but that requires some degree of mechanical design engineering experience. Getting them actually manufactured is its own separate headache.

As I said, I've been sourcing and pricing parts.
That's maybe good for a one-off, not so much for anything beyond that. Components also form only one part of the total cost of a commercial product. Add to that manufacturing, testing, certification, storage, shipping, taxes, etc. etc. Once you have a realistic estimate of what everything will cost, you will need the money to pay for it all.

This all sounds like just daydream fantasy. Which is fine, as long as you realize that's what it is. If you're genuinely interested in electronics design and manufacturing, try to get an industry job and stick your finger in every pie you can.

Reactions: XL2
I wanted to post again and ask to seriously consider reducing the scope down to something realistic. Like the example I gave above.

We definitely don't want you to get discouraged, but you need to drastically reduce the scope of your project. We can help along the way.

As I said before, a Raspberry Pi + Saturn shell with an OpenGL or partial software renderer that "emulates" a much, much beefier VDP1 would be an awesome project. It's big in scope, but awesome nonetheless.

Look into Yabause's repo. If you study and use it, you'd have to make your software GPL licensed.

After researching this more, I've come up with an updated plan. I can use the Raspberry Pi, along with a custom shell and additional accessories. I can also do a custom setup with OpenGL that limits the output to match the max output of the Saturn or slightly better. I have picked out a couple engines, depending on whether it's a 2D or 3D game. I also came across a couple of developers who are working on new games that emulate PSX graphics, and I realized I can do the same thing for Saturn. This will open up a new console that I and other developers can make Saturn-style games for. I'd like to work towards getting a licensing agreement to produce a sequel of a game that was on the Saturn. By emulating the look of Saturn games, the console can be a kind of continuation of the system. There is also the possibility of the console being backwards compatible with Saturn discs. Unlike the Saturn, developers can use all modern tools and games will be much easier to produce. I look forward to any feedback.

Great!

But forget licenses, emulation, shells, additional accessories, etc. Even the RPi.

Get a working demo on your machine with some software VDP1 renderer.

Rip out Yabause's software renderer and use that to get up and running ASAP if possible.

Yeah. I'm going to start work on a new 3D game, soon. I will take another look at the max Saturn specs, and get a tech demo together to get people's feedback.

Back