Portable N64

It's an official Nintendo product, made for the Chinese market. The games are distributed on secure flashcards, loaded at stores (works as rentals). The card format and low prices are inteded to help combat the piracy which so far has prevented consoles from being launched there. So far it seems the available games will be old N64 and SNES games, translated to Chinese.

That they've managed to shrink a nearly eight year old system to a single chip isn't that impressive, especially as none of that generation's machines were exactly cutting-edge at the time they were released.

5 games can fit on a 64M card???

"Plays customized games"... do you think the SNES roms on my CDR will work? What's to keep HK people (born pirates) from just getting all the games off the net?

Originally posted by jeff-20@Nov 28, 2003 @ 05:49 PM

5 games can fit on a 64M card???

"Plays customized games"... do you think the SNES roms on my CDR will work? What's to keep HK people (born pirates) from just getting all the games off the net?

Basically the way it works is, the games are run from a 'secure' flash card (heh, N-GAGE shows us how secure those are...).

iQue owners can go to registered stores, and buy/download games for like $5-6 or so, onto their flash cards. And, if their card is full, and they later want their old game back, it's free to re-download.

I'm guessing Nintendo is counting on the low price and very likely high price of a home device for writing to the flash card to counter piracy. It might just work, too.

The machine uses DRM technologies and has specifically been designed to be piracy-proof so while it probably isn't unbreakable it should take a while before that happens. The price of the hardware (about USD70) and the games (about USD6) should mean it's more expensive to buy pirate software.

The games included with the machine add up to a total 64MB, filling the card completely (Dr. Mario 4MB, Mario64 and Wave Race both 8MB, Starfox 12MB, OOT is the biggest at 32MB).

i'd make the wild assumption that the games have been reprogrammed or int he least encrypted, making it unlikely that ur gonna just copy ur goodn64 set to the card

Originally posted by Jurai@Nov 29, 2003 @ 12:34 AM

i'd make the wild assumption that the games have been reprogrammed or int he least encrypted, making it unlikely that ur gonna just copy ur goodn64 set to the card

Good luck copying the whole GoodN64 set to a 64MByte card...

wow thats sweet, I saw at a flea market near my house a snes, nes and a genesis similar product, but the 64, thats cool too... nice find man. :cheers

Originally posted by Tagrineth+Nov 29, 2003 @ 01:01 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tagrineth @ Nov 29, 2003 @ 01:01 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jurai@Nov 29, 2003 @ 12:34 AM

Good luck copying the whole GoodN64 set to a 64MByte card... [/b][/quote]

smartass 🙂

Originally posted by ExCyber@Dec 1, 2003 @ 06:04 PM

It's easy with lzip. 😉

The ENTIRE GoodN64 set? Which includes several hundred ROM's?

And that's before you even consider that iQue can't unpack those... since the ROM it runs has to be uncompressed on the flash card before running.

Back