Programming: Starting Out

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Nov 25, 2003 @ 10:22 PM

yeah my c++ teacher wouldn't accept goto's either lol. No nested if's? wtf? Only thing I can think of is it makes it harder to read... but with comments that shouldn't be a problem.

yeah they don't like things to be too complex

however none of the other programmers comment/document sqaut.

I at least put a little line here and there to give some clues

Goto have one totally valid and legal use in C/C++:

Jump out of nexted cycle. Overwise you have to do an "if" check with "break" at each level of cycle. And it's plain dumb.

Originally posted by racketboy@Nov 25, 2003 @ 10:06 PM

Haha my COBOL teach in college would not accept an classwork that had a goto in it.

I thought I was the only one left that studied cobol in highschool :)

Damn 7th column ;)

Originally posted by gameboy900@Nov 25, 2003 @ 06:16 PM

FAST (test long ago have shown that a similar program written in VB was only 4-6% slower than the same program written in VC++ (they use the same compiler).

This is highly dependent on the kind of program written, and the way the person writes it (particularly in VisualC++). Somethings will run like a dog in VB, but your standard business app should be fine. I use VB from time to time and it's great for quick and dirty development, but it was frustrating to use for certain things (at least back in VB6, I've heard it's changed a lot since then).

yeah, I'm pretty much a n00b programmer. However, from what I've looked at, most languages are very similar, only a few small changes to syntax.

Most popular languages today tend to be based off of C/C++ and as a result look very similar; however, there are all kinds of screwy languages out there like LISP that just have to do things differently.

Originally posted by racketboy+Nov 25, 2003 @ 01:02 PM-->QUOTE(racketboy @ Nov 25, 2003 @ 01:02 PM) I didn't really learn much til I got to college. [/b]

I can second that.

@Nov 25, 2003 @ 03:25 PM

When you get to college you'll realize that a lot of your professors can't teach (and guess what, they couldn't care less, they're there to do research). Find a good book, find resources on the web, have your friend tutor you, but do well in this class.

Not if you go to a community college where the instructors actually give a rat's ass.
wink.gif

Oh yeah, and my instructor won't accept work with gotos either.

Except this is all OOP, and he's really trying to make us stop thinking about non-OOP languages. Really smart guy, masters in engineering, just a great teacher. I'm lucky I have such a good teacher.

I'm a highschool senior....

sophomore year had BASIC

junior year had C++

now this year i have Java

I'm getting pretty good at "Hello World" programs ;) , but i still can't manage to follow coding for a console, i get lost in the dev kits, and can't follow the classes properly.

P.S. My teacher doesn't allow goto statements either (nor break statements), he takes it as far as giving us a complete 0 if he spots it in our code.

Originally posted by Zziggy00@Nov 27, 2003 @ 12:44 AM

I'm a highschool senior....

sophomore year had BASIC

junior year had C++

now this year i have Java

I'm getting pretty good at "Hello World" programs ;) , but i still can't manage to follow coding for a console, i get lost in the dev kits, and can't follow the classes properly.

P.S. My teacher doesn't allow goto statements either (nor break statements), he takes it as far as giving us a complete 0 if he spots it in our code.

wow that's pretty good for a HS.

my school only had the one BASIC class

My teacher doesn't allow goto statements either (nor break statements), he takes it as far as giving us a complete 0 if he spots it in our code.

I do hope that this doesn't apply to switch constructs (or do you get a zero for those too?)

Ugh lucky bastards. I had to deal with ultra slow non-object oriented TURING running on an ancient Mac Plus that would literally take a FULL second to display a screen of text. You could see the characters drawing one by one. Basically made anything useful out of the question. Probably why my teacher gave me an A+ after I deviated from the course work and create a side scrolling shooter and a dual player pong clone for it......of course both were horribly slow. But it was still something. I had to cheat in my shooter too. Originally I had you avoiding solid spheres...but had to make them circles with no fill to speed it up. My pong game actually allowed the use of TWO mac keyboards attached to a single Mac, one for each player. God the number of classes I wasted just playing that with my friends.

Hehe, and I was blessed by starting with Turbo Pascal 3.0 for CP/M on Yamaha MSX-2 computer back in 1990 (3.5MHz Z80, 128KB RAM / 128KB VRAM). It was awesome. I still like MSX platform a lot (Turbo Pascal 3 and Metal Gear!!! No one can beat this) ;)

I can't imagine programming on an old Mac. I tried it once with Turbo C, but I couldn't bring myself to it. I admire you gameboy900.

I had no programming courses whatsoever in my highschool *sigh* so I had to teach myself. I started with Applesoft Basic on an Apple IIe. It was pretty fun, and easy to learn. The only "full" runnable thing I ever made was a pong clone (seems like those are popular).

The next thing I worked on was World Builder, a pseudo-programming language, more of an IDE with a proprietary verion of Basic. I made a few games with this, as it was addicting at the time. I think I was doing this in, geeze 6th grade (wow, time goes by fast). I messed around with this on a MacSE for about a year. This Scotsman, Ray Dunakin, is the guru of World Builder, and all of his games have received some award from a Mac game magazine.

Then when I started high school, I decided to stray away from Macs and move on to Windows based computers, as there were lots of resources in that area. I dabbled in VB (I think it was ver.5) for just a short time, left it, picked it up again, repeated that process over and over again, just doing examples from the book.

That basically covers all the programming experience I've had up until now so I would say I'm sort of a newbie too. I'm really enjoying finally being able to learn programming in a classroom environment with a good teacher.

Hehe, in 1997 I was fairly good in vanilla c, I even made a contribution to Allegro library (second guy is me). But now I don't remember a shit about c coding :) Too much VBScript and c# :)

I started out with BASIC on a commodore PET when I was in 6th grade. Back then it was hard to grasp code flow constructs and there were GOSUBs and GOTOs all over the place. I took all 2 of the programming courses that my school ever offered. The last being advanced BASIC on a Apple ][ E, which was grossly outdated even in 1991 when I took the course. I finished the course a semester eary and was allowed to slough off and play games the rest of the time.

In this day and age, I'm writing C code on *nixes and Java and Python for everything that needs to be cross-platform.

I've used VB in the past (VB6), and while it's a vast improvement over the ancient dialects of BASIC, I still think it sucks. Not necessarily for technical reasons, but for my own reasons.

If I had to do it all again, I'd pick python as my first language. It's free, comes with a mediocre IDE, can be made to do just about anything, and is forgiving of mistakes.

We only have 1 or 2 good computer teachers at the school I've been going to. Of the others I've taken, 2 of them didn't speak english properly, and another insisted on talking at the same speed he wrote on the overhead projector, and being that english wasn't his first language, the writing/talking went rather slow. Maybe now that I'm changing schools I'll be able to learn something.

Back