Programming...

Originally posted by Tindo@heart@Jun 29, 2003 @ 04:07 PM

What software is required to learn and use these languages?

And is there a free download anywhere? or a trial? or what's the price?

I want to learn C++ but I want a program that I can look at and use to see what the developers look at. What program is that?

There isn't software that _teaches_ you languages. Well, there are, but he best way is by books (yes, those pulpy, white paper things people use a school
wink.gif
kidding), and simples learn by example.

Between learning how to code, and learning what the developers "do", is a complex matter. I know Z80 asm, for example. I don't know how they did starstrike II run in a 4Mhz speccy. Coding games, nowadays and ever since the games stopped being "2D", is very complicated, and requires years, if not a decade of compete devotion to coding and improving oneself.
smile.gif

I have a lot of books about programming on my FTP, maybe I should share them on sega account. they mainly are about C/C++? Assembly, Java and SQL.

As everybody gives his developement starting point, I'll give mine.
smile.gif

I learnt basic on MO5 before have ten years. Some years later I studied electronics and view 6809 and assembly developement on it. Then I moved to industrial computing studies and saw CPU architecture (x86 for instance but see also RISC), learnt 8086 and 68000 assembly. Also I saw at the same time C/C++ and finished by Java.

Originally posted by TakaIsSilly+Jun 29, 2003 @ 03:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TakaIsSilly @ Jun 29, 2003 @ 03:25 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Tindo@heart@Jun 29, 2003 @ 04:07 PM

I want to learn C++ but I want a program that I can look at and use to see what the developers look at. What program is that?

There isn't software that _teaches_ you languages. Well, there are, but he best way is by books (yes, those pulpy, white paper things people use a school
wink.gif
kidding), and simples learn by example.

Between learning how to code, and learning what the developers "do", is a complex matter. I know Z80 asm, for example. I don't know how they did starstrike II run in a 4Mhz speccy. Coding games, nowadays and ever since the games stopped being "2D", is very complicated, and requires years, if not a decade of compete devotion to coding and improving oneself.
smile.gif
[/b][/quote]

Actually, I have hundreds of $'s worth of college computer books, and old vintage GW-Basic books.

With both of these languages I used the coding program side-by-side with the book.

I just don't have any book or a clue
laugh.gif
about C++ yet?

BTW, thanks a ton IBarracudaI! I'm looking over it now.
smile.gif

Originally posted by Tindo@heart@Jun 29, 2003 @ 12:07 PM

Sounds like stupid questions to the ones that know, but that's because you know and I don't.
wink.gif

BTW TakaIsSilly, my question really is worded poorly. Sorry to confuse anyone.

What I mean is: What enviroment is used to code in C++?

What program does Windows use where you can create a program in C++?

This is something I can probably find on Google, but I didn't know if there are choices of Windows programs. And what do different people use?

I understand you can code C++ on Linux also, but what "software enviroment" is used to write the program.

Sorry for repeating myself or sounding like an idiot.

I'm looking for a low-cost software where I can test my skills as I learn C++

Thanks guys, all replies have been very informative and interesting
smile.gif

I'll try to take all your pointers to heart as I start out and tell you how it goes
cool.gif

---Ammut

I'm looking for a low-cost software where I can test my skills as I learn C++

I haven't played with it, but Dev-C++ comes highly recommended.

edit: since the rest of your post kind of makes it seem like you'd like to understand how this works a bit better, here's a rundown of what's needed to go from zero to program:

- Text editor: anything that can save plain text without using stupid nonstandard BS (*cough*smartquotes*cough*) will get the job done. This just lets you get the program out of your head and into source code.

- Compiler: Turns the source code of a "high-level" language like C or Java into assembly language.

- Assembler: Turns the assembly language output by the compiler into chunks of machine code.

- Linker: Stitches the assembled chunks together so that they're all in the right place for the program to run and produces the final executable file.

(Usually the above three are distributed and used together as a package called a "toolchain", though it's usually possible to mix and match different ones with a bit of work)

- Build system: a program or set of programs that automatically manages the build process to produce the needed files for a program. This could be as simple as batch files, but most developers directly or indirectly (e.g. through a GUI) use some variation of a "make" program, such as GNU Make. The make program reads a script called a makefile that contains a list of files to produce. For each file there is a list of the files needed to build it and the list of commands to build it. Make automatically checks the list and makes sure everything is built in the correct order.

Hope this helps.

It sure does help, Thanks!

I assumed it would be in text form, kinda like Qbasic, BASIC or HTML.

I prefer Windows Notepad for text. I create most of my webpages from scratch with notepad. I have perfectionist tendencies and I prefer to just do it all myself.
blush.gif

but I assume some developers use some program that checks the syntax realtime. Instead of notepad/text editor.

. . . remember, I'm brought up on Qbasic so that is what I'm familar with. So I'm expecting you can click "run" and test how it goes.
blush.gif

but I assume some developers use some program that checks the syntax realtime. Instead of notepad/text editor.

Yeah, there are a bunch of editors that do syntax coloring; it's helpful for catching some silly mistakes and generally makes your code a bit easier to read.

. . . remember, I'm brought up on Qbasic so that is what I'm familar with. So I'm expecting you can click "run" and test how it goes.

Then you want an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) like Dev-C++ or Microsoft Visual Studio; any good one will have a button you can click to build+run. It will take a bit longer than "Run" in Qbasic, but it will essentially do the same thing.

Originally posted by IBarracudaI@Jun 29, 2003 @ 07:04 AM

or even better.. z80 assembly :p

If you like maths... z80 is the processor used in the TI graphic calcs.. :)

Then again, you should start with something simple that will teach you some "programming logic".

Wherre exactly can I find something that'll teach me some "programming logic"? Any places online?

Back