PS1 controller port repair

I got a PS1 for free with the Teletubbies game!!! :cheers

. . but the controller port is busted. :angry:

After some investigation, research and disassembly I've found out I have a busted fuse.

Not a regular fuse, but a SMF(surface mount fuse.)

These fuses are small black squares mounted onto the circuit board. They kinda look like a small transister, but are horizontal instead of verticle . . and they only have 2 contacts.

The particular SMF that is bad has a 15 on it. I know it's this fuse because the ports work fine if I bridge it.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

Is there a way to replace this?

Can I pull a similar fuse from something else? and where? what?

What does this fuse do?

And what would be the harm in just bridging the damn thing!?

Umm...that's not a fuse but a resistor. At least it should be. There are no surface mount fuses that I know of. Having one wouldn't be the most economical design anyway.

OWNED! LOL... Anytime there's a fuse, usually it's for a reason, since including a fuse is more expensive than not having a fuse lol. It works without the fuse and just bridging it, however who knows if something down the rode will cause some serious issues for the hardware if the fuse isn't there. I mean the fuse blew once, what's to stop it from happening again?

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Aug 13, 2003 @ 02:29 PM

OWNED! LOL... Anytime there's a fuse, usually it's for a reason, since including a fuse is more expensive than not having a fuse lol. It works without the fuse and just bridging it, however who knows if something down the rode will cause some serious issues for the hardware if the fuse isn't there. I mean the fuse blew once, what's to stop it from happening again?

That's what I'm wondering.

What caused the fuse to blow in the first place?

was it a bad fuse? or was it due to some generic controller?

Sorry to ask a PoS1 question on a Sega forum. This is my fav videogame forum and some smart people visit here, . . I thought this would be a common problem and easily answered, but by the sound of the replies it seems I should question people more educated on the PS1 hardware. Thx!

. . . so no one here has ever repaired a PS1?

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Aug 13, 2003 @ 06:04 PM

I'd suggest Gamesx.com. The forums there are full of people that should be able to give you the info you need.

thanks a ton bro!

. . I was just thinking of posting and asking if anyone knew of a PS forum, thanks again.

I'm no technical expert, I may be entirely wrong, but a surface mount fuse is pretty equivalent to a normal fuse right... it's just sort of mounted to the board right? If that's the case couldn't you just put any old fuse in there?

On another note, if you don't get a reply within a day or two, I'd suggest posting in the general forum with a link to that post.

One other thing, is if it's some kind of really special fuse or something, I have a friend who has a dead ps1 (the hub that holds the cd basically disintegrated lol), if he still has it (he's a packrat, I can't imagine him throwing it away), he may be able to sell you the psx for real cheap, that way you could take that fuse out and use it.

wow that was my 300th post... that one sort of crept up on me lol.

20 year old thread! Good lord.

I ran into this exact same problem. Picked up a PS1 on Facebook Marketplace. Booted it up. Everything works, except the controller ports. Tried several different controllers, no dice.

It sounds like the common issue is that Fuse P5605 blows. It is a "0.7A / 50V Surface Mounted SMD Fuse." I am not an electronics guy (yet), so take this with a bit of salt.

As of this posting, you can purchase them on console5: Fuse: 0.7A / 50v surface mount SMD part PS605 - Sony PS1 Controller Fuse. And here is a video identifying the fuse:

I have not opened up my psx to visually inspect the fuse or gone any further than that, but I plan to in the coming days/weeks.

Back