PS2 CDs (Purple Bottom)

Cloud121

Established Member
Hey guys with PS2s, you know how PS2 CDs have the purple bottom? Well... since they're CDs, are they probably just 650 - 700MB in size?

Noooooooooooooooooo. PS2 runs of DVD's chubs. DVD's hold a few gigs, don't know how much but it's like 4.5 or 6.5. I dunno so don't quote me on that or anything. And the PS2 games my friend has are more of a gold bottom.....

Some PS2 CDs are: Timesplitters (Great FPS), Madden 2001 and 2002, NBA Street. I think Smuggler's Run is also a CD. Tekken Tag Tournament is CD. Many of the launch titles are CD I believe.

Edit: DVD's I believe hold about 4.7 gig at max. Can you confirm this Arakon?

(Edited by Cloud121 at 6:41 pm on April 14, 2002)

Games are on 74 min. BLUE BOTTOM CD's and 4.something GB DVDs for the PS2.

An easy way to tell is that CD games have a Blue bottom, DVD games don't... (also it will tell you on the label of the game, and on the back of the games package)

None of the CD based games, to date, for Playstation or Playstation 2 excede 74 min.

I've heard it rumored in various places that PS2 does not support running games from multilayer DVD, and that Sony won't allow dual-sided DVD games (probably due to the label issue). If that's true, then the size is limited to 4.7GB (DVD-5). Otherwise, it might be possible to do multilayer discs, which can get up to about 17GB (DVD-18)...

sliver bottom is a dvd-rom, 4.5 gigs, single layer. purple bottom is a regular cd. it is just like ps1, you'll need a mod-chip to play. and since sony stopped the only mod-chip that would support ANY cd to be played on a ps2, there isnt one that works perfect yet. so itd be pointless if this topic was about copying ps2 games.

ps2 DVD copy protection has to do with blocks on the end of the second layer. This renders making a dvd-r copy impossible (unless you have a mod chip or a dvd-rw drive that can record 2 layers.)

Quote: from jastnorn on 8:49 pm on April 14, 2002

sliver bottom is a dvd-rom, 4.5 gigs, single layer. purple bottom is a regular cd. it is just like ps1, you'll need a mod-chip to play. and since sony stopped the only mod-chip that would support ANY cd to be played on a ps2, there isnt one that works perfect yet. so itd be pointless if this topic was about copying ps2 games.

That chip was the Messiah correcct?

I bought that mod board (Messiah) for playing imports, but it also works perfectly for DVD-R and CD-R backups if you're of that naughty disposition - not that I condone such shenanigans ;)

So these boards *are* available, just slightly more "underground" than they otherwise would be. I believe Lik-Sang sell them.

Mike

Lik-sang is out of stock.

but yes, the messiah chip is available.. and by now, quite easily. sony only stopped it in UK and USA. doesn't keep people from getting them at all, tho.

I ordered 2 of them in UK recently, got both within 5 days. of course, they ARE expensive.. but well worth it, it really boots any game, be it import or cdr/dvd-r on the first try without any probs.

just be aware it's a bitch to install on some models, and only works on a single US model (a certain V4 series). works on all PAL models, tho.

eh, Radeon.. that's BS. PS2 DVDs are single layer, no protections in a second layer.

btw, there IS another modchip that will do it all. the origa chip costs only a third of the messiah, and will play import originals, cdr and dvd-r.. but you need to perform a single swap with a region x or action replay 2 disc.

That new PnP No Solder thing can boot anything, you just need a Gameshark 2 (It should play Originals without it I believe). There's also a new Neo 4.5 out. You only need a Gameshark to boot DVD-Rs. As it can boot anything else directly. It costs $80 , and you have to solder 11 #### pins to the board (you think you could do that Arakon? Could be a good test for ya ;)).

first of all, that crappy POS no solder dooropener does NOT play import originals and fucks up constantly with cds over 640 MB (i.e. dvd rips). it's not even a modchip, all it does is open the #### door.

the neo 4."5" doesn't even exist yet. it's easier to solder, but why the #### would anyone want to waste 80$ on a crap chip that only does cdr no-swap, when you can get a messiah for 110 that does everything? plus, neo 4 doesn't do imports either.

Yo, I thought the Messiah was stopped completely. I don't plan on buying it (I'll just stick with the External Neo Key I plan to buy), but where can I get info on it, and pictures of it?

Edit: YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!! You have to solder 23 goddamn wires to the board to get the Messiah to work? That is nuts! And I thought 11 wires was a lot!

(Edited by Cloud121 at 1:46 pm on April 15, 2002)

so you just get an USB mod that voids your warranty anyways (you still gotta open the system and solder), destroys the laser, doesn't play EA games, doesn't play DVD-R, doesn't play original imports and is nothing but a fucking overpriced psx modchip in a plastic shell.

smart move.

mind you, the neo 4 is originally 44 wires.

messiah mod is done in an hour, I've done 3.

it constantly pulses a too high voltage into the system, which ends up harming the laser. slower than with i.e. the neo 2.2 cause you can turn it off, but it still does harm the laser in time.

Here's what I don't understand... if the voltage is too high, then there must be a supply of the correct voltage somewhere. The PICs support a rather wide Vcc range, so why can't the Vcc point be switched to use the correct voltage?

Back