PS2 Freezes

I've had 2 broken PS2's for a while and I finally broke down and snatched up the parts I needed to fix one of them(power/eject ribbon cable and cable for the controller port). Now the system powers up fine and the controller works but once the BIOS screen comes up and asks me to select the browser or memory card it freezes, not quite sure what to make of it, I've checked all the connections and everything appears fine.

Right before it started freezing I wasn't getting any data from the DVD drive, so I checked the ribbon connections and they were both undone(laser and CD board), I reconnected them and the laser does move, but the motor might be fried, I'm not sure, it'll spin for about half a sec and then stop when the PS2 freezes. I also checked over the ribbon cables to make sure they weren't broken and they appear to be fine.

Either way, I don't know enough about this to figure this out on my own, any help would be appreciated.

This problem is most likely your cd laser worn out. When the system is turned on, the laser will seek data, to figure out if there's a game in the drive, or a cd, or if there isn't anything at all in the drive.

When the laser is worn out, it's most likely reporting to the system "no disc" and then the motor stops spinng.

As for the freezing, I'm not quite sure what that would be.

I bought a new ps2 system, and it froze usually during gameplay, up to twice a day. After returning it for another one, it froze even more. And then I returned that one, for a new one, and it still occasionally freezes up.

Atleast three of my friends have had to replace their PS2 systems, because of something. DVD drive covers just falling off mysteriously, vibration functions quit working for no cause, memory card port problems, and most of all, their terrible quality lasers that don't seem to last.

Well the disc doesn't even spin for a full rotation so I can't imagine that the laser or lack thereof is getting enough data or no data to say yay or nay to a disc being present.

Either way, I'm not concerned about the condition of the DVD drive, I can figure that out after I get this freezing problem solved... I hope. Even though the freezing problem might be connected to the DVD drive itself since I wan't experiencing the problem until I reconnected it.

Originally posted by Malakai@Thu, 2004-12-02 @ 07:27 AM

This problem is most likely your cd laser worn out. When the system is turned on, the laser will seek data, to figure out if there's a game in the drive, or a cd, or if there isn't anything at all in the drive.

When the laser is worn out, it's most likely reporting to the system "no disc" and then the motor stops spinng.

As for the freezing, I'm not quite sure what that would be.

I bought a new ps2 system, and it froze usually during gameplay, up to twice a day. After returning it for another one, it froze even more. And then I returned that one, for a new one, and it still occasionally freezes up. 

Atleast three of my friends have had to replace their PS2 systems, because of something. DVD drive covers just falling off mysteriously, vibration functions quit working for no cause, memory card port problems, and most of all, their terrible quality lasers that don't seem to last.

[post=124922]Quoted post[/post]​

Thats wierd, because I've had my ps2 for over 2 years, and then, no freezing. (i'm not saying there good or cheep).

it's not modded, I might look at it again today and see if I can find anything again... If anyone has any ideas though any help would be appreciated.

Where did you get this PS2 at? If you opened it up and cables are disconnected and parts are missing.. it sounds to me as if someone failed in there atempt to mod the system... or perhaps swaped out working parts to fix other ones and then sold the unit with the faulty parts.

It could also be a power supply problem; if there is a problem with some component(s) of the power supply, the extra load from the DVD drive could be glitching the logic supply rails. This could also be caused by a short in the DVD circuitry.

But I blame everything on the power supply, I guess. :p

Back