Ps2 mods

Cloud121

Established Member
I want to get a PS2 Mod. I've been thinking about it for a few weeks, I just can't come to a decision. What would you recommend Arakon (out of this list)?

Neo 2.2

Neo 2.5

External Neo Key

Macro Mod (What is that anyway?)

Edit: I figured out what the Macro Mod is.

Originally posted by Cloud121@April 29 2002,15:34

I want to get a PS2 Mod. I've been thinking about it for a few weeks, I just can't come to a decision. What would you recommend Arakon (out of this list)?

Neo 2.2

Neo 2.5

External Neo Key

Macro Mod (What is that anyway?)

Edit: I figured out what the Macro Mod is.

crap.

crap.

External Neo Key

crap.

all of the above are simply shit. they all are based on a slightly modified psx modchip, they all damage the laser, they all need fingeracrobatics to work for dvd-r/EA games, and they all don't play original imports.

get an origa chip. it does original imports, all backups with a single swap, and doesn't damage the laser.

Well.... any chips you'd recommend in the $20 - $30 price range? I don't exactly want to pay $50 for a mod chip (well... I would... if I had a damn job. It sucks being 15, and yet all the places right up the street from you, and all the places you want to work want you to be 16 or older
sad.gif
) I REALLY want a PS2 mod, only I don't exactly want to save up $50 for a mod.

Any mods that DON'T harm the laser? Yet are in the $20 - $30 price range?

nope.

and if you think about it, a new laser unit costs 35$ too, and to have it properly installed and adjusted will cost you another 20 bucks, so you are better off spending a bit more and getting a good chip.

the origa costs 35-40$, plus install cost, plus a bootcd (which is needed for the neo series too, btw.. i.e. gameshark 2 or dvd region x, the latter being cheaper). save up some cash, sell a kidney or something.

They're pretty expensive, but the Messiah chips are the only ones worth getting from what I know. The company who came up with them doesn't make them anymore because Sony were gonna take them to the cleaners, but there's clones appearing all over now. There's no swap for imports or backups, I think it's the only one that offers this. Probably at least $50/60, I would have though. If you wait a while until more companies start cloning it, the price will probably drop.

EDIT: Ok, I underestimated the price vastly, Lik-Sang is doing them for $90.

I only want a chip for PS1 imports, I figure most 'next generation' games seem to come out worldwide. At least I never hear of great imports like in the olden days..

Better than that, get original games and don't use any mod for your ps2.

Copies for ps2 are more shit than the modchips, many of the games splitted up (even dvdrs) and ripped like hell.

It's better to have one non-ripped-not-damaging game than those bastard copies.

And for dvdr movies the ps2 doesn't need any modification, just the region-x in some cases.

But if you are going to play imports, go for the origa chip.

many of the games splitted up (even dvdrs)

When did this happen? I was under the impression that PS2 only supported running DVD games from DVD-5, which isn't any bigger than DVD-R...

hi, hello, the return of the comeback
smile.gif

lik-sang now has a "PS2 Neo4.1 No-Swap Modchip"

and the "PS2 Messiah No-Swap Modchip"

here

but our stores here in the Philippines only offer the Neo4.1 and Messiah (Messiah is still not available, coming soon).

But the freakin' Neo4.1 costs $4800PhP (Philippine Pesos)!!!

That's approx. $96!!!

Well, that's actually with labor, installation, and a free smile by the store
smile.gif

could you guys do a technical comparison here in this thread? as in that which touches on "lens damage", "swap-annoyance", "cost", etc... thanks

neo 4.x:

44 wires, no swap for cdr, swap for dvd-r, doesn't play original imports at all. has DVD movie region free.

messiah:

23 wires, no swap for cdr, dvdr, original imports. no DVD region free.

What's this about the Neo Key damaging the laser? I didn't know that.. Could that be why a DVD I was watching got scratches on it at a point where it skipped in the PS2? Does it damage it only when the modchip is being used or does the wire damage it at all times?

I'm thinking of getting the messiah but it's pretty expensive

that.. Could that be why a DVD I was watching got scratches on it at a point where it skipped in the PS2?

That's probably just the mechanism in your PS2 being crappy. I've heard of that happening without the help of a mod, particularly when the system is standing vertically...

i thought that when I saw this thread about modchips, that this neo-key-damaging-laser was the reason why my ps2 suddenly wasn't able to read GT3 and FFX properly, when it did just a few days before it didn't... hmmm...

i'm sure this has been answered a million times all ready but i'm to lazy to search.

what's nec. to play ps1 copies onna ps2?

Back