Pseudo Saturn Kai official thread

Oh I see. Thank you for the help.

But I tested a bit more and maybe the issue is not even that.
I tried the disk on my computer and it didn't show anything, as if there was no disk inserted at all. If I checked the properties of the CD drive it showed 0 bytes.

Does it mean the CD I got is not burned at all? Or maybe just corrupted?

EDIT: I made the aluminium fix, didn't change anything. I really think the CD I have has nothing on it.

Last edited:
EDIT: I made the aluminium fix, didn't change anything. I really think the CD I have has nothing on it.
Rip the disc to an image file using ImgBurn - if the image file is smaller than 582MB or the disc can't be ripped at all, that pretty much confirms the disc is bad.

The "Aluminium Foil Tape" roll should cost a little under $3, give or take. It will give you a cleaner result than if you use normal kitchen foil.

It will fix the cartridge's temperament! :colgate:

Attachments

• 407438370_10230140775805081_140091883785819906_n.jpg
    407438370_10230140775805081_140091883785819906_n.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 0
Hi, just to let you know, the issue was indeed the disk itself which was not even burned.
I received another one and it worked like a charm. Thanks for your support!

Thank you for all the hard work you've put into this for the community over the years!

I'm currently using a Fenrir 20 Pin ODE inside my Saturn in addition to Fenrir Loader Kai. I have a Kai 4-in-1 (all in one) Cartridge from Jimmy Choi in Hong Kong. Several layers of Aluminium Foil Tape added to the inside, all working good. As I have Loader Kai already I had no need for the Kai software on the cart and I wanted to be able to add more cheats than Kai would allow, so I replaced the software on the cart with AR v1.94. (Anything above this like 2.01 or 2.02c would brick the cart, no idea why)

Now, onto my question... if I use the original Fenrir ODE menu and load a game by pressing C, it will return me to the AR menu so that I can then select cheats and play the game with them. When I've tried this with Loader Kai, it simply just boots into the game, meaning I have to manually restart my console, which of course isn't the biggest deal in the world, just a bit inconvenient. I can't even do the A+B+C+Start method to restart it with the cartridge, as it just flashes to a black screen. (I think this behavior is normal for the AR software even without Fenrir or Loader Kai installed, which is a whole other issue in itself)

Now, am I crazy, or did Loader Kai used to allow you to do the same thing by pressing C? I'm probably just misremembering. Would it be possible to have this added to Loader Kai? Obviously this isn't a demand, and I know nothing of any potential technical limitations, but it would be a cool feature to have.

Again, thank you for your hard work, and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes in the future~

Now, onto my question... if I use the original Fenrir ODE menu and load a game by pressing C, it will return me to the AR menu so that I can then select cheats and play the game with them. When I've tried this with Loader Kai, it simply just boots into the game, meaning I have to manually restart my console, which of course isn't the biggest deal in the world, just a bit inconvenient.

Now, am I crazy, or did Loader Kai used to allow you to do the same thing by pressing C? I'm probably just misremembering. Would it be possible to have this added to Loader Kai? Obviously this isn't a demand, and I know nothing of any potential technical limitations, but it would be a cool feature to have.
Unfortunately, Load Cart feature is not (and has never been) available in Fenrir Loader Kai. Limitations of FLK are explained in section 3 of the readme - https://ppcenter.webou.net/pskai/readme_fenrirloaderkai.txt

The Select cheats screen of PS Kai has a strange behavior when no cheat is enabled that confuses some users (see this post) :
  • When pressing A, C or start to launch the game, the code where the cursor was is enabled in the game as if it had been selected by the user.
  • When pressing Z to add custom codes, then selecting Load built-in codes, the code where the cursor was is automatically added to the code list (this is an example : https://youtu.be/zh7fnF0LwQU?t=139). If cancelling with B to go back to the Select cheats screen, that code is now green as if had been selected by the user.

When pressing A, C or start to launch the game, the code where the cursor was is enabled in the game as if it had been selected by the user.
In my opinion this behaviour is intuitive; the alternative is requiring the user to select the code with X and then press A/C/Start to launch the game, which doesn't really make sense for a single cheat code.

When pressing Z to add custom codes, then selecting Load built-in codes, the code where the cursor was is automatically added to the code list (this is an example : https://youtu.be/zh7fnF0LwQU?t=139). If cancelling with B to go back to the Select cheats screen, that code is now green as if had been selected by the user.
Yeah, I had this noted down as something to report to @cafe-alpha. I think things can be made a bit more intuitive with the following changes :
  • Rename "Load Built-in Codes" to "Load Selected Codes".
  • Add "Enter New Codes" to the following menu which populates the Custom Code Input screen only with the stored master code for that game (or the default master code if the game isn't in the cheat codes list)

1.png

That's how it currently behaves if you invoke Custom Code Input from this screen :

2.png

In my opinion this behaviour is intuitive; the alternative is requiring the user to select the code with X and then press A/C/Start to launch the game, which doesn't really make sense for a single cheat code.
It's unintuitive because there's a message that says "No cheat codes enabled". It doesn't say "The highlighted code will be automatically enabled in case you don't select any code".

It's unintuitive because there's a message that says "No cheat codes enabled". It doesn't say "The highlighted code will be automatically enabled in case you don't select any code".
Ah, I forgot that it says that. It's probably a good idea to remove or replace the "No cheat codes enabled" message to remove this potential source of confusion.

Back