PSX

That's what gets me about their new version of the PS2... the one with progressive scan and an updated DVD drive and I forget what else. But at the core, it's still the same old system that came out like four years ago. Seems to me like a long time... the hardware IS beginning to get old, it's much more outdated than the GC and XBox (I'm disregarding our beloved DC here, which at least was ahead of its time anyway and still manages to impress).

I guess it's sorta like Microsoft's second-edition Windows, like 98SE... charge for what's essentially the same thing with relatively minor updates, and keep spoonfeeding the masses.

well there's enough kiddies out there (and some adults too) that think anything with the Playstation name is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

With that kind of crowd, Sony can get away with it.

agreed cloud, and they aren't using the cell technology no more...also the only reason M$ didn'ty make it play DVD's out of the box is becuase they wanted $$. That's the only reason, if they wanted to be mainly focused on games, it wouldn't of been able to play dvd's and shit.

As far as Xbox is concerned, what's wrong with extra functionality as long as the focus is still gaming? Should they go OUT OF THEIR WAY to make sure that their DVD-based system can't play DVDs and other types of disc/file based media???

that came out like four years ago

Playstation 2 Japanese Launch March 4th 2000

US Launch October 26th 2000

the hardware IS beginning to get old, it's much more outdated than the GC and XBox

:bs Not even close.

http://www.konamijpn.com/products/zoe2/eng...h/download.html

http://jpn01.konami.co.jp/movie/mgs3/mgs3_e32k3_e.asf

http://tinyurl.com/bvb1

well there's enough kiddies out there (and some adults too) that think anything with the Playstation name is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

With that kind of crowd, Sony can get away with it.

Sounds kinda like the Nintendo crowd back in the day, eh? And to a lesser extent; the Sega crowd.
wink.gif

Casual gamers are nothing new to videogames. They've been around since the Nes days.

Originally posted by cww80@May 29, 2003 @ 09:05 PM

that came out like four years ago

Playstation 2 Japanese Launch March 4th 2000

US Launch October 26th 2000

the hardware IS beginning to get old, it's much more outdated than the GC and XBox

:bs Not even close.

Hmm, OK... 3 years then. I was sure it launched in 1999... Ohwell.

I still maintain that the hardware is not state-of-the-art anymore unlike XBox and GC. I never said it was downright bad.
blink.gif
And the links you gave me are VERY impressive, I'm not denying that. But you did inadvertently make a different point, to me at least:

The PS2's hardware is well-known by now and programmers are making the most of it and have developed all sorts of tricks to work around some memory bandwidth-related bottlenecks and indeed come up with vastly impressive graphics. *momentarily swoons at Shutoko Highway Battle 01*
smile.gif

On the other hand, while GC and XBox do have more raw power than the PS2, that power is really just beginning to be tapped into, I think. We should be seeing some AWESOME graphics demos--I mean, games
blush.gif
for these two systems yet... games that, in the end, will put the final nail in PS2's coffin.

My real issue all along was just that Sony makes this big fuzz about re-releasing the PS2 with no true improvements to the core hardware and capabilities.

Alex, the prob. is that u pay 100 dollars more for stupid bullshit.....I do however absolutely LOVE the HDD and the progressive scan output....it's great. It's my only DVD player so that's cool, but either way I dont really care at all...

Originally posted by Alexvrb@May 29, 2003 @ 09:31 PM

As far as Xbox is concerned, what's wrong with extra functionality as long as the focus is still gaming? Should they go OUT OF THEIR WAY to make sure that their DVD-based system can't play DVDs and other types of disc/file based media???

Well this reminds me of a post of mine a little while ago

Well, perhaps, but my point was a lot simpler. I'm saying that it doesn't cost more money since they are using existing technology. It would cost MORE to go out of their way to adapt this technology so it is no longer capable of doing things it normally would be able to do. Meaning making the Xbox incapable of playing media of any sort without serious modding/hacking.

In closing, its OK to be able to play DVDs and other media, as long as that is not its express purpose as a console. It's not just a media box, it was designed for gaming and its focus is still gaming. The other features come as free extras because it uses a DVD-ROM, and has a HD.

I read Sony is trying to make a processor 1000X's faster than the PS2 one. Is that the "cell" chip people mention here?

Couldnt give a flying f#ck how much faster Sony claim their next console will be over the PS2, they need to concentrate harder on a decent graphics chip with a shit load more memory than what is on offer now.

This is so true and it makes me sick. Its these lame f#cks that allow companies like Sony to sell whatever shit they throw at the public, and for top dollar mind you.

Originally posted by BooBoo02@Jun 1, 2003 @ 02:31 PM

This is so true and it makes me sick. Its these lame f#cks that allow companies like Sony to sell whatever shit they throw at the public, and for top dollar mind you.

Although the VG industry isn't the only one in the entertainment world that is like that

Look at the movies that get put out and sell well even though they aren't great (esp sequals -- same as a brand name) Then you got the pop music industry -- don't even get me started.

Originally posted by BooBoo02@May 31, 2003 @ 03:31 PM

Couldnt give a flying f#ck how much faster Sony claim their next console will be over the PS2, they need to concentrate harder on a decent graphics chip with a shit load more memory than what is on offer now.

so true... I'm still waiting to see a ps2 push 100 million Polys/second that Sony claimed it could handle during the hype-me-the-fuck-up phase. Ever heard of being realistic? Turn up the power or turn down the hype. Sega and Nintendo promised realistic figures that were achievable and usually surpassed... take a page from their books.

This is so true and so sad. The Ps3 could be a ps2 with a tagged on 2mb addon and it would still sell like hotcakes for all these dumbasses care. Although such a strong videogame community is great for sales and allows for more games and bigger budgets for creating games its morons like these that keep the quality of games down by buying into whatever they are told. I'd rather have a nice niche community than a giant faltering one... companies no longer are focusing on how to make the best games but are skimping out to suit the new formula of dumb consumers who can be conned into buying a complete p.o.s. game with little effort. Sigh.

---Ammut

Originally posted by Ammut@Jun 4, 2003 @ 12:50 AM

Turn up the power or turn down the hype. Sega and Nintendo promised realistic figures that were achievable and usually surpassed... take a page from their books.

Yeah that's so true. I remember a while ago, 1998 I believe, at epcot in disney world there was a huge room full of sega consoles and games. There was this booth though, about half the size of a gym, with a huge projection screen and it was demoing the dreamcast. It looked INSANE. It was only me and some other people, but these two guys in white labcoats come out from all this smoke and star talking about how powerful the dreamcast was and it showed demos of sonic adventure and stuff. It was so insae and crap for the time.

Ok so this was a little off topic, but did anyone else ever see that?

Back