Question about US Saturn with PAL games

I can't seem to find a simple straightforward answer online anywhere about this.. Hopefully someone here knows the answer.
I have a US NTSC Saturn console. I have two 4M all-in-one action replay carts. One is flashed with Pseudo Saturn, the other is not. I have both US and Japanese games and have never experienced any issueswith any of those.....yet. I'm looking to buy a copy of Duke Nukem 3D PAL version beacuse of the much lower price. I have not played PAL region games on this system before, so I don't know how the action replay handles the 50hz/60nz problem or if it even handles it at all? I've read that Duke Nukem 3D on the Saturn has graphical isues running the PAL version on a US console with the status bar being cut off and the screen zoomed in.. Does the action replay cart fix this problem? Does the Action replay cart fix the 50hz/6hz problem in general for PAL games or does it not address this? If it does fix this problem, is it automatic, or is there a setting somewhere in the carts software where it needs to be changed?

Thanks in advance!

I can't seem to find a simple straightforward answer online anywhere about this.. Hopefully someone here knows the answer.
I have a US NTSC Saturn console. I have two 4M all-in-one action replay carts. One is flashed with Pseudo Saturn, the other is not. I have both US and Japanese games and have never experienced any issueswith any of those.....yet. I'm looking to buy a copy of Duke Nukem 3D PAL version beacuse of the much lower price. I have not played PAL region games on this system before, so I don't know how the action replay handles the 50hz/60nz problem or if it even handles it at all? I've read that Duke Nukem 3D on the Saturn has graphical isues running the PAL version on a US console with the status bar being cut off and the screen zoomed in.. Does the action replay cart fix this problem? Does the Action replay cart fix the 50hz/6hz problem in general for PAL games or does it not address this? If it does fix this problem, is it automatic, or is there a setting somewhere in the carts software where it needs to be changed?

Thanks in advance!
The only thing that can deal with the 50/60hz issue is a physical mod with a switch to your saturn, a cart won't help with this.

As far as the video issue, I really have no idea, but I don't see why it would.

Doesn't the 50hz switch only matter if you're using it with a 50hz TV?

I think you can just play your PAL games on your 60hz TV and not think about it, because your Saturn is already wired for 60hz. Most of the games weren't reprogrammed for 50hz, so they just ran slower, but should run "normal" on a 60hz Saturn. at worst, they run a little too fast - but unless you have a PAL CRT you really want to use, I don't know what you can do about that.

Admitting that you have a method to bypass the region lock.
All PAL games will work on a NTSC saturn in 60 HZ flawlessly to the exception of a few "PAL optimized" games in which display optimisations have been hard coded.

You can find the complete list of PAL games and their 60Hz compatibility in this excellent resource :

List of PAL optimised games and their optimisations described
I appreciate the link, because I think I have honestly passed on many good versions of PAL games because I didn't think they'd run as well as NTSC games, but now that I think about it most of them would be fine, since the difference is really in the TV, not the game itself. thinking about that logically, it doesn't make any sense!

Last edited:
Back