question of dangers of wiring cat5 cables in house

Hey, my dad and I have been running network cables throughout the house to connect all the computers, but I have a concern about that. I think I read somewhere that it is unsafe to have a cat5 cable go through a heating vent. The cable will heat up and melt the outside, releasing something toxic? I know there are special cables that can handle the heat, but since my cables cost aruond $2-4 I don't think it's high quality. I need someone to confirm this so I can get rid of the cables before winter approaches.

I wouldn't risk it myself. Things could get very hot in those vents and having the cables there may actually invalidate your house insurance. Do a proper installation, if at all possible - run them through the walls, under the floor or in the ceiling away from power cables.

RadioShack has decent Cat5 for .10 cents a foot. I've used a >50ft length for over 2 years that performs very well. (I'm sending through it now actually.) It runs underneath the house.

I would also be concerned about all of that static electricity that heat vents can produce. Although, I think that should be the least of your concerns.

The big thing with cat5 cabling is that it gives off some sort of hazardous gas when it burns. So in a fire, you guys would be fucked :Þ Forgot the name of the chemical, it starts with P I think.

I just checked the writing on the cable, looks like it can handle up to 167 degrees fahrenheit. I think I'll get a wireless pc card soon. Thanks for the reply.

Back