question of dangers of wiring cat5 cables in house

dnguyen800

Hey, my dad and I have been running network cables throughout the house to connect all the computers, but I have a concern about that. I think I read somewhere that it is unsafe to have a cat5 cable go through a heating vent. The cable will heat up and melt the outside, releasing something toxic? I know there are special cables that can handle the heat, but since my cables cost aruond $2-4 I don't think it's high quality. I need someone to confirm this so I can get rid of the cables before winter approaches.

Curtis

I wouldn't risk it myself. Things could get very hot in those vents and having the cables there may actually invalidate your house insurance. Do a proper installation, if at all possible - run them through the walls, under the floor or in the ceiling away from power cables.

Tindo@heart

RadioShack has decent Cat5 for .10 cents a foot. I've used a >50ft length for over 2 years that performs very well. (I'm sending through it now actually.) It runs underneath the house.

I would also be concerned about all of that static electricity that heat vents can produce. Although, I think that should be the least of your concerns.

slinga

The big thing with cat5 cabling is that it gives off some sort of hazardous gas when it burns. So in a fire, you guys would be fucked :Þ Forgot the name of the chemical, it starts with P I think.

dnguyen800

I just checked the writing on the cable, looks like it can handle up to 167 degrees fahrenheit. I think I'll get a wireless pc card soon. Thanks for the reply.