Stereo speakers

Originally posted by Curtis@Oct. 02 2002, 6:21 am

Speakers not important? Usually they are the weakest link in a system. The difference between good and bad speakers can be phenomenal - and the difference is directly related to the amount of cash you spend.

I didn't say they weren't important, but when money's tight, new speakers aren't a necessity.

Originally posted by Taelon@Oct. 03 2002, 11:29 am

Mmmm... Radio Shack? They're not necessary low-end quality, and they haev TONS of different kinds of speaker cables...thick, thin...heck, you might consider building your own speakers from parts, can be cheap if you do it right....

I'll check out radio shack for wires.

I don't think I'm up to building my own speakers though -- it'll probably end up being a non-working piece of junk
smile.gif

Edit: I checked out Radio Shack -- what are "Phono RCA-Type Plugs"?

RCA plugs are usually used for connecting audio components (CD players, cassette decks etc) to amplifiers or for connecting composite video with VCRs, TV and so on.

It strikes me as odd to be using them for speaker cables.

product_2491.jpg
<--- RCA plug.

Originally posted by mal@Oct. 03 2002, 6:09 pm

RCA plugs are usually used for connecting audio components (CD players, cassette decks etc) to amplifiers or for connecting composite video with VCRs, TV and so on.

It strikes me as odd to be using them for speaker cables.

product_2491.jpg
<--- RCA plug.

yeah that's what I thought

You seriously do not need to be worrying about cable at this stage. The equipment you have (and in the audio world, $300 is not much to pay for an amp) will be generating more noise than any grade of cable would be able to help reduce. Unless you are running 20m of cable to each speaker, there is no reason to buy anything more expensive than plain, unshielded cable.

Nadius -> Sorry for misinterpreting your post - it just seemed that you were saying speakers were unimportant.

Originally posted by Curtis@Oct. 03 2002, 7:16 pm

You seriously do not need to be worrying about cable at this stage. The equipment you have (and in the audio world, $300 is not much to pay for an amp) will be generating more noise than any grade of cable would be able to help reduce. Unless you are running 20m of cable to each speaker, there is no reason to buy anything more expensive than plain, unshielded cable.

I know $300 isn't that much compared to some receivers, but it's more than enough for my needs.

Anyway, what did you mean by "generating noise" and not being able to reduce it?

All electronic equipment generates some noise. You'd notice this based on how much hiss you can hear from the speakers. If there is a lot, then more expensive cabling won't fix anything - it is the amp generating all that noise. If you can't here anything, then you don't need to fix anything.

Shielded cable can help reduce the noise picked up from other electronic devices (TV's and computers are big culprits here), but you won't be needing that unless you run the cables over long distances - 20m or more.

I wasn't meaning to critisise you for your choice of amp. All I'm trying to say is that it would be a watse of money to buy expensive cables on anything less than several thousands of dollars of audio equipment anyway. You'd need to have a really good ear to even pretent to hear the difference.

Originally posted by Curtis@Oct. 04 2002, 10:54 am

All I'm trying to say is that it would be a watse of money to buy expensive cables on anything less than several thousands of dollars of audio equipment anyway. You'd need to have a really good ear to even pretent to hear the difference.

Absolutely. Expensive speaker cables are going to make a miniscule difference to the audio quality (if you can even hear it) for the price you pay for them.

You would only want to consider higher gauge cables if you were running a great deal of power to your speakers (I doubt it with the Sony's) or running them over a great distance (to reduce signal loss).

Shielding shouldn't be a issue with speaker cables. Mic level or line level, yes. Speaker level, no.

Is this a digital surround sound system? true 5.1 sound? if so speakers and wire matter a little. its good to use thicker cable. I think monster branded stuff is for showing off your equipment. now if this 300 dollar pioneer is not a tru surround 5.1 reciever, then take it back and get a thearter in a box set. same price and comes with speakers. also you will not get surround sound through the red and white "rca" audio plugs. you will need a digital optical or coaxial cable. radioshack has a rca to optical out converter. it makes a big difference in sound. its like 30 bucks. everything that goes through my reciever is through optical cable. ive got my sega saturn, sega genesis/CD, and dreamcast connected to my tv, then the audio out from my TV(red and white "rca" jacks) hook up to the radioshack analog to digital converter. then the optical cable goes to my reciever. then my xbox and PS2 have optical cable connectors on them. there are NO rca jacks on my reciever. there is a big difference in sound if you use the rca jacks then the optical cable.

as far as your speakers go, id keep them until you get something better. best buy has sales on thier KLH speakers. you can get two KLH 15 inch floor speakers for 99.00 each. for some serious bump to your system.

Ok I think things are getting a little off topic here.

To answer your core questions racketboy in one big hit...

My concern is that I'm not sure if I will eventually blow them out. I'm not sure how many watts or whatever they can handle -- probably about 50(?)

I don't usually turn the volume up too loud.

OK, like I (and others) said, if you are not hearing distortion, your speakers are in no danger. Distortion is the only way to blow speakers out (well, distortion or a really high peak in the current, which won't happen unless you crank your amp to the max). You will be fine using these speakers.

Do you think I should just stick with the old cheapies for a while?

Absolutely. For reasons why, see my next answer.

I'm hoping to get some nice monster cable to possibly increase the sound quality instead of using the cheap wire that came with them (and that is too short).

Using better cabling in this situation will not alter the sound quality. Not with the other equipment you are using. If you had 200 thousand dollars of audio equipment, housed in a specially designed acoustically flat room and your hearing had never been exposed to to more than, say, 65dB and you were 4 years old (ok...so I exaggerate) the you might hear some difference. There are some guys out there who claim to be able to hear the difference between that batteries used in their effect pedels for guitar...I'm guessing your not one of these
smile.gif

Lemme hear your opinions and suggestions -- thanks!

Stick with the old speakers, save your cash for buying some new ones. You get what you pay for...except when it comes to speaker cabling.

EDIT: Actually, tell us what model amp you are using and also what model sony system you've taken the speakers from. That'll clear up once and for all how suitable they are for the amp.

Originally posted by Nadius@Oct. 03 2002, 12:31 am

... so this is what I might do, get some decent speakers at Circuit City; my brother tells me that they have like an upgrade service dealie, where like within two years or three years or something, you can trade those in towards something better.

That is SO far from the truth. I was told that by a Circuit City store clerk when I bought a digital camera there. Two and a half years later I go back to CC and made mention about it and got laughed out of the store. That is nothing but a scam to get people to buy their cheap shit. I don't even step foot in Circuit City anymore.

EDIT: Might I also mention that those retards working their get paid commision for each sale they make.. 'nuff said.

Originally posted by KBW+Oct. 04 2002, 8:48 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KBW @ Oct. 04 2002, 8:48 am)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Nadius@Oct. 03 2002, 12:31 am

... so this is what I might do, get some decent speakers at Circuit City; my brother tells me that they have like an upgrade service dealie, where like within two years or three years or something, you can trade those in towards something better.

That is SO far from the truth. I was told that by a Circuit City store clerk when I bought a digital camera there. Two and a half years later I go back to CC and made mention about it and got laughed out of the store. That is nothing but a scam to get people to buy their cheap shit. I don't even step foot in Circuit City anymore.

EDIT: Might I also mention that those retards working their get paid commision for each sale they make.. 'nuff said.[/b][/quote]

It only applies to speakers.

Check their website under the speaker section -- it talks about it.

Digital cameras change much faster than speakers -- so it would be dumb for them to trade up within a year for the price you paid for it before.

I try to avoid Circuit City unless they have something on sale that I need. Their commission guys are annoying. Best Buy is some much more enjoyable. I know there are people that don't like Best Buy too, but I buy stuff there all the time and they've always been good to me -- and no commission.

Originally posted by Curtis@Oct. 04 2002, 8:20 am

EDIT: Actually, tell us what model amp you are using and also what model sony system you've taken the speakers from. That'll clear up once and for all how suitable they are for the amp.

Thanks for your thoughts guys -- you've really been helpful.

Here's a link to my receiver:

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.....&scat=4

Pioneer DVD-Audio-Ready A/V Receiver with Dolby Digital, Pro Logic II and DTS Processors

Model: VSX-D711

I'll have to get back with you on the Sony system. If we still have it, it's at my in-laws. It's basically a doorstopper right now, the only thing that still works on it is the tape deck
angry.gif

How about speaker stands?

Right now I have the Sony speakers (which are bookshelf style, of course) sitting on the floor of both sides of my entertainment center.

Do speaker stands help that much at all?

trial and error will determine that, mount the suckers on some egg cartoons and see if they sound any better (pr'lly not though) i think the importance of speaker stands is to get the cones above any obstructions between you and your speakers

if you're of the mentality that prefers wires with the connectors pre-soldered on forget about the subs and any pass through devices. i like ALOT of bass so i don't think my suggestions would really be tailored to your listenening prefferences

anyway band pass, low pass, high pass ect. is a device that splits your signal by frequency so your subs don't get staticy because they're being fed frequencies they're not designed to reproduce and prevents your mids and tweaters from being destroyed by massive amounts of low frequencies. really more of a car stereo thing, but a novel concept if you have crappy home stereo speakers and you want a some-what cost effective means of making them sound much better. something like 80% of the sound you actually end up hearing is below 300mhz so ...well anyway, you're all smart people so you know where i'm going with this

Back