Radiant Silvergun

To celebrate the release of Ikaruga for Dreamcast, the mighty Radiant Silvergun - also from Treasure - is the current game of the week!

Can you fault this fine Saturn shooter?

Yes, I can. The disc (as far as I can tell) contains two complete copies of the game files; one for the arcade mode and one for the Saturn mode. How wasteful!

Aside from that, the only gripe I have is that it's been really difficult for me to absorb the gameplay. I don't mean to say that it's "too hard"; like many great games, its difficulty varies widely with what you try to accomplish. However, I think I'm better off for the effort. Without RS, I probably never would have developed the foundation necessary to really enjoy Mars Matrix or Ikaruga.

Also, there is an artistic element to this game that is quite cool. It presents a compelling atmosphere whereas most other shooters dump in more or less stock elements (music, backgrounds, etc.) seemingly just for the sake of having something there.

Radiant Silver Gun is the best Shooter i ever played in my life.

Graphically i give it a 10

The story also get high marks.

This game really shoed the power of the saturn system.

I love it!!!!!

Saturn for ever.

I haven't played either Radiant Silvergun nor Ikaruga. I need to buy them though. Radiant Silvergun will not be cheap though. I like the Shoot 'Em Up genre. My favorite as of now, before ever playing Radiant Silvergun or Ikaruga, is The Raiden Project for the PSX. I have a feeling that it will change once I get my hands on Radiant Silvergun, when I can afford it.

I actually haven't played it (or Ikaruga) yet, but many of Treasure's other games made a good impression with me, especially Sin And Punishment. So many people give credible mention to it (for an import), that has to stand for something.

I'm looking forward to playing it sometime...

RS has no powerups man. I mean, you can collect certain pinky bullets (to use the super attack), but you need to use the ship's sword to do so, since those bullets can still kill you.

What I loved in RS was the creative level design. The game puts you in absurd situations and makes your blood flow. Feels good.

Also the collision detection took the gameplay to another level, allowing (or maybe demanding) the player to make micro-dodging (tap, tap, tap technique). After RS, I couldn't play other shmups where you die by merely getting close to the bullets anymore. Everytime I died in RS, I felt it was 100% *my* fault, and could see where I have failed, and improve upon that. I like that.

It's not like, Gigawings 2, where they fire a swarn, no, a *cloud* of bullets at you, and they are so cramped together you can't dodge them without having to move all over the screen (but Gigawings 2 is fun in it's own way).

This game is great. It's one of the few Saturn things I brought over to my friends house.

He never could understand why I liked the Saturn, but then one day I brought over my Saturn with Radiant Silvergun, Virtual On (with Twinsticks), Saturn Bomberman, X-men vs Capcom.

1st: him, his brother and his cousin tried X-men vs Capcom. They liked it and were surprised at how well the Saturn handled 2D.

2nd: they tried Virtual On. They though the Twinsticks kicked ass.

3rd: Saturn Bomberman. 4 people, 6 bots, mad fun.

4th: Radiant Silvergun. This sold them the understandment as to why I like the Saturn. This game blew them away, completely away. This was the game that they played the most. They loved the graphics, the weapons, the 2D/3D combination, everything. Can you blame them?

Originally posted by M3d10n@Sep. 08 2002, 8:40 am

Also the collision detection took the gameplay to another level, allowing (or maybe demanding) the player to make micro-dodging (tap, tap, tap technique). After RS, I couldn't play other shmups where you die by merely getting close to the bullets anymore.

The collision detection in both RS and Ikaruga seems quite lenient. Several game developers have commented that most players feel a true pixel-perfect collision detection is unfair and that you should allow some overlap. Of course for the player's bullets the situation is reversed.

I think that Radiant Silvergun is the best shooting game ever. The story, the graphics, the AWESOME music, the intro, the level system for the weapons, the replayability value, the mixture of 2D and 3D, the atmosphere, everything. The final boss screen for me is one of the best things ever programmed for 32 bits consoles.

It´s a masterpiece. Incredible, unbeatable, above all other shooting games.

Don Gloton really loves that game
love.gif

Originally posted by antime+Sep. 08 2002, 3:28 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(antime @ Sep. 08 2002, 3:28 am)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-M3d10n@Sep. 08 2002, 8:40 am

Also the collision detection took the gameplay to another level, allowing (or maybe demanding) the player to make micro-dodging (tap, tap, tap technique). After RS, I couldn't play other shmups where you die by merely getting close to the bullets anymore.

The collision detection in both RS and Ikaruga seems quite lenient. Several game developers have commented that most players feel a true pixel-perfect collision detection is unfair and that you should allow some overlap. Of course for the player's bullets the situation is reversed.[/b][/quote]

it would be absurd to have it any other way. ive played games with little stuff to dodge, but the collision was unforgetfull, and those games turned into "that didnt hit me" type of things. i enjoy games with a little bit of leniency, like bullets scraping the wings. in rs its essientail, if u ever played through the game on vhard, then u would understand.

RS is a masterpeice and one of the best Shmups I've played, but is it faultless? No, it has a bit of slowdown (homing plasma/radiant sword) also, when zoomed in the textures on the 3d models look bad (giant shark). Other than that I have no commplaints.

It is one of the few games that lived up to and surpassed all the hype I heard about it. I just wish they would do a remake so everyone could experience it.

ok please don't ban me but i must say it : the game isn't all too great. *runs for cover* I mean the game is good but... meh i've played better before. I think i have to get a feel for the thing i have barely gotten past the first level but ti's just a little hard to et used to. Like for example, i don't know what you guys are talkinga bout but there is always a swarm of bullets and shit flying at you. and i think it would be cool if you actually had a life bar instead of one hit boom you die, bitch suky suky five dollah' for you!... anyway I might just suck but i do think the game is pretty hard...too hard for me. I dunno, please don't hate me but this is where we give our opinion right?

I love the game, as well as being supremely playable, some of the GFX are jaw-dropping. The spinning background when you fight the first boss, the boss on the 3 lifts on the vertical wall, the boss in the middle of the 'stonehenge' type thing, where you hide from it's fire behind the pillars... WOW!

The weapons system is awesome too, similar in concept to Hellfire, but implemented so much better.

I've only played Ikaruga briefly, but it looks like it'll become a sought-after classic too
smile.gif

Yup, sorry Gallstaff.

*pats Gallstaf on head condescendingly*

A vertical scrolling SHMUP with a life bar would be utter sacrilege.

as with nearly every other treasure game,

radiant silver gun has a very solid basis in terms of gameplay

(ie compared to other classic shoots, controls are right, the fundamentals are here);

AND it succeeds in being very original and innovative!

what makes me fond of treasure games, is that both in terms of gameplay and visuals, they are innovative, fresh, crisp...

you will always be surprised!!!!

And I add:

What SHMUP games you like better?

But let's forgive him. Asking for a life bar AND saying he couldn't get past level 1 promptly shows he isn't into shmups.

Originally posted by venom@Sep. 08 2002, 6:49 pm

when zoomed in the textures on the 3d models look bad (giant shark).

You know, that's what supposed to happen when a console doens't have hardware bilinear filtering. All 32-bit 3D games suffered from that (and all PC 3D games before 3DFX).

And the slowdown sometimes saves my life in RS :p

Originally posted by M3d10n@Sep. 09 2002, 10:26 am

And I add:

What SHMUP games you like better?

But let's forgive him. Asking for a life bar AND saying he couldn't get past level 1 promptly shows he isn't into shmups.

yeah i really don't like them that much at all. I got radient silvergun cause everyone was saying how great it was and it was the god of saturn games but... meh it's more like that other guy who was being killed next to Christ..

Back