Radiant Silvergun

Originally posted by Gallstaff+Sep. 09 2002, 7:23 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gallstaff @ Sep. 09 2002, 7:23 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-M3d10n@Sep. 09 2002, 10:26 am

And I add:

What SHMUP games you like better?

But let's forgive him. Asking for a life bar AND saying he couldn't get past level 1 promptly shows he isn't into shmups.

yeah i really don't like them that much at all. I got radient silvergun cause everyone was saying how great it was and it was the god of saturn games but... meh it's more like that other guy who was being killed next to Christ..[/b][/quote]

there are no better shmups except possibly ikaruga. what makes this game so unique is that it breaks the normal formula and it does it very well(and the bad engrish^_^). if u like more traditional shooters, try esp ra.de. or guwange, those are 2 of my other favs. japanese arcade only though.

Well, i've played both RS and, quite recently, Ikaruga. In many aspects RS beats its sequil, mainly due to the little things like all RS's menue's being in english, the game being full screen without having to turn your tv on its side, and the sheer volume of weapons at your disposal. I have played many shooters durring all the years I have been a "gamer", but few, if any, are as well crafted as RS is. I wouldn't pay the current asking price for it ($120+), but it is extreamly good none the less.

Okay I have finally played Raidiant Silvergun and Ikaruga. They are both great. I like the sword in Radiant as well as the million shots on the screen at the same time and the intenseness, and I like the Black/White system in Ikaruga as well as the many enemies and shots on the screen too.

Radiant Silvergun is a really good game as well as Ikaruga. I hope to own Ikaruga soon.
biggrin.gif

Okay here are my top 3 Shoot 'em up games. (In no particular Order)

1. Radiant Silvergun (Saturn)

2. Ikaruga (Dreamcast)

3. The Raiden Project (PSX)

There you have it. Goodnight everyone.

I forgot about the bi-linear filtering thing, so that's not their fault.

There are very few shmups I've played that I consider equal to RSG, those being Battle Garegga and Esp.ra.de

I do like this game a lot, but to say it's faultless is to fall headlong into the hype trap. One of the people who runs the Shumps site wrote this about it, much of which I tend to agree with. Still, it's up there with the best, even if I personally prefer Battle Garegga, Soukyugurentai and Axelay.

have you noticed (of course you did...)? that Treasure has released two much-awaited-acclaimed-last-minute-fantastic-hyped-up games at the death of Sega's systems like a tribute? Radiant Silvergun (Saturn) and Ikaruga (Dreamcast) will attest to that, although I don't know about the MegaDrive/Genesis...

Originally posted by M3d10n@Sep. 09 2002, 9:31 am

And the slowdown sometimes saves my life in RS
tongue.gif

and slowdowns are WAAAAYYY cool in fighting games!!! especially when there are tons of effects and you see every one and bit of the effect of the punch/kick/attack! wow! i'm not being sarcastic, i'm serious. Or especially when you do a STRONG attack (with no effects) and the thing slows down because of counterattack... that's COOL! And true, slowdowns saves lives most of the time. If that were only the fact in real life... sheesh.

While on the subject of shooters what did yoiu think of the thunder force series? Damn could Technosoft ever mix a tune.. TF4 (Lightening force over here) had the best music in any game to date

I dislike that "deconstruction" because I think its as biased as those Treasure fanboy reviews.

You can't discredit Radiant Silvergun, by simply pointing out that some of it's supposed "innovations" have been done before.

Basically, it reads like a big whinge from someone that can't handle a unorthadox SHMUP.

Dodonpachi and Battle Garegga are awesome, but they basically are the same old, same old.

rsg_coaster_a.jpg

That one picture can sum up that whole article as the view of a biased sony fanboy trying to discredit a saturn game that happens to be recognized as a true classic.

That pic was from the article. But I agree with the article. A lot of the hype RS is getting comes from people who have never played it, but have just read about it getting all that praise. It's a good game, but I don't think it's the be-all, end-all of shooters.

I tend to take a per-system approach when it comes to determining the "be all, end all" of games. So IMHO, Radiant Silvergun is the BEST shooter - *on the Saturn*. That said, consoles have been getting better and will of course continue to do so...and we'll continue to see games that just weren't possible a few years back and some that aren't yet possible today. And along the way, we'll have an ultimate game on these new systems as well. For example, it's hard to argue that Soul Calibur is the be-all, end-all of 3D fighters on the Dreamcast, but there will be (or are already?) even better fighters on current and future consoles.

Back to RS... I do love the game, and the hype is largely true... and even though I'm actually (gasp) starting to get bored with the stages (having seen it all by now), there comes a time every now and then that I go back to it and have a blast just trying to keep up with the madness of everything that the bosses throw at me (all at once, too) - and then I rediscover my appreciation of all the little technical and artistic details that make this game what it is.

Someone said the slowdown actually enhances the game - I AGREE!! :) It's just like in the movies, you ever notice that highly dramatic scenes are sometimes shown in slow motion? The effect is the same in RS and (some) other games... I love it.

In fact, I'm beginning to wonder if Treasure couldn't actually have done RS without ANY slowdown at all but chose not to. ;-)

Nahh. :)

Originally posted by Skiad-ops@Sep. 14 2002, 2:19 am

That one picture can sum up that whole article as the view of a biased sony fanboy trying to discredit a saturn game that happens to be recognized as a true classic.

Hmm.. I actually thought he was displaying a sense of humour, knowing full well that the picture was provocative and would get that sort of reaction from Sega fans. I guess maybe you played the part of the bait in his trap pretty well.

Originally posted by Myname@Sep. 15 2002, 12:46 am

Hmm.. I actually thought he was displaying a sense of humour, knowing full well that the picture was provocative and would get that sort of reaction from Sega fans. I guess maybe you played the part of the bait in his trap pretty well.

In that case, its arguable that the whole article he wrote was written in order to provoke sega fans into reacting in the way you're talking about.

Originally posted by Skiad-ops@Sep. 15 2002, 4:46 am

In that case, its arguable that the whole article he wrote was written in order to provoke sega fans into reacting in the way you're talking about.

What has liking Sega got to do with liking the game or not? In fact, he even said he liked the game, he just didn't think it was the greatest shooter of all time (at the time the article was written). If you're taking that as an anti-Sega rant.. Sorry, but that's pure fanboy-ism. If you've ever been to shmups you know they review games, no matter what system they are for.

The biggest error in that review is that it shrugs off chaining as an "irrelevant little addition" and claims that the game is too easy. That's much like writing a review of NiGHTS saying that linking is an "irrelevant little addition", and then complaining about how slow and aimless the game feels. Basically, Felix seems to be condemning Radiant Silvergun because it doesn't conform to his idea of what a shooter should be.

The clearest example of this attitude is the following passage (emphasis added):

In certain modes, Silvergun allows you to keep your weapon power levels for later games. This is counter-productive in my opinion, as the main goal in any shooter is to power-up as you progress, therefore adding an invisible difficulty curve to your games.

Most of the rest of the review is made up of relatively minor complaints ("the secrets are too easy to unlock", "Batsugun did the experience thing better", etc.). In essence, it's an attempt to stand up on a soapbox and yell "Radiant Silvergun is not perfect!" rather than an actual review. This is more or less legitimate in principle, but I get the impression that it was written more out of frustration than anything else.

Back