Raident silvergun

Not at all! Its brilliant. Now i'll be the first to admit, shoot-em-ups like this and gunbird are really not my thing, i find them dull and boring. But Raident silver gun, i duno if its the mix of 3D and 2D graphics the way it plays or what, but it is wonderful, truely a great experience!

I duno if its the sense of joy you get of missing hundreds of missiles or what but this is really really good! I underestimated it as a stupid shooting title made by a great dev team. Its brilliant, not so brilliant its work 150 pounds or what ever it goes for on ebay, no game is, but it is still worth owning/copying as its stupidly brilliant, i just cant work out why!

You've joined the party late, haven't you?

smile.gif

And I think what makes the game so great that you can't seem to figure out...is how Treasure managed to combine technical excellence with a cinematic experience that most other shooters are devoid of...consider the cut scenes, the film score-like music, and the sense of HUGENESS that's conveyed by the moving backgrounds and the bosses.

Add to that the fact that this game has a LOT more variety than other shooters... they came up with so many different ideas for enemy attack patterns, it's manic. :)

I think Treasure just did their homework very well, RS is a perfect combination of R-Type style strategy shooting and manic shmupness. Plus it has that cool non-sensical Treasure-ness to it
smile.gif

I love Treasure... Dynamite Headdy... and, of course, the great Silhouette Mirage, a fantastic platformer, and my fauvorite game of this type for Saturn.

Really, I don´t remeber a bad game of Treasure...

I may be late, but least i havent missed it!

Yeah i love the way just on the second boss that the background twists and rotates as if you are actually in 3D and then strightens out into 2D again, also the opening to the game, i dont understand it, but its still cool. Its the presentation that does it for me most.

Stretch Panic for the PS2 is a below average game, and Silpheed for the PS2 is apparently really crappy. I'm also not a big fan of Light Crusader. But thankfully, their latest game (and pseudo-RSG sequel) Ikaruga got VERY good reviews. Lets hope the DreamCast port is good (which it will be, since the differences in NAOMI-2 and DreamCast are about as much as the Saturn and the Titan).

My favourite Treasure games are Sin and Punishment (N64), Radiant Silvergun (SS) and Rakugaki Showtime (PSX).

Guardian Heroes (SS) and Mishief Makers (N64) also are great
biggrin.gif

Treasure needs to stay in the mainstream market and put all of these 3-D game development companies to shame! RS kept to the advancing evolution of 2-D.

Silpheed is pretty crappy, but there's not a whole lot of shmups to choose from nowadays.. Psyvariar and Night Raid look cool but I doubt they'll see releases outside of Japan. I wasn't keen on Light Crusader either, to me it doesn't really seem like a Treasure game and the hero is kind of embarassing to look at..

Apart from that Treasure can do no wrong (haven't played Stretch Panic, but the idea behind it seems quite cool).

Originally posted by Myname@June 27 2002,12:00

Silpheed is pretty crappy, but there's not a whole lot of shmups to choose from nowadays.. Psyvariar and Night Raid look cool but I doubt they'll see releases outside of Japan. I wasn't keen on Light Crusader either, to me it doesn't really seem like a Treasure game and the hero is kind of embarassing to look at..

Apart from that Treasure can do no wrong (haven't played Stretch Panic, but the idea behind it seems quite cool).

When I first got my SCD, I thought Silpheed was pretty cool -- except for the load times. I still think its one of the best games for the system (not saying a WHOLE lot)

I think Myname and AstroBlue are referring to Silpheed: The Lost Planet, the sequel of the SCD title for PS2 that was co-developed with Treasure, although it is not known how much of it they were responsible for.

I have not played the original Silpheed but reviews I read gave me the impression of an overall good game.

As for Light Crusader, yes, the character design was slanted towards western style and yes, the main character would bounce on his legs as if he was retarded and walked in a silly manner, but the villagers were totally freaked out. Their stance matched with what they said. Made more sense than those standard RPG-fare villagers walking around in circles and basically saying the same old things.

Besides, you just had to love (or loathe, depends on the POV) the puzzles. Like blasting explosive barrels in sync or the bits which had you planning to move objects in a sokobanish fashion.

It nowadays looks like a somewhat low-key release from the company, but wouldn't it have been a hit if somebody else had written it?

Just my 5 cents.

Back