Rare

Grabbed from the IGN boards written by one of its editors, Matt C. ...

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I've been trying to stay away from this one as there's no way to prove the rumors true or not, but in spite of this I did some digging today.

A UK source very close to Rare (or possibly Rare itself): "The Microsoft news is true. It's definitely happening. An announcement mid-next week is planned. There is some potentially good news though in that the Stamper brothers might be leaving to form another company which will support multi-platform development."

I have no reason to doubt this source's news. I'm going to dig some more. In the meantime, I thought this latest info would, at the very least, spark debate. Enjoy.

Matt "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Bear in mind that this is not a definite confirmation. But these guys have hooked me up with plenty information in the past and they have always been right.

Add in what I've already heard, dating back several months ago, and I find it hard to believe that something big is not happening at Rare. "

Quote:

"Really, there's no reason to get upset. With comments like "you've been wrong so many times in the past" (total crap) and "I'm sick of you" I have to wonder if some of you guys need a vacation.

I held off on reporting any Rare news for awhile, but figured this was noteworthy. It's still a rumor, if you haven't read this topic's headline. If that makes you angry, I don't know what to tell you. Welcome to the real world. You're going to have to deal with things you don't like. If you can't stand to read any more Rare rumors, don't click on the thread. You have that freedom.

For the rest of you:

If it's all true, I'm not sure how I feel about the Rare thing. On the one hand I'd be sorry to see Nintendo lose Rare and on the other I'd be excited about what the company might be able to bring to the Xbox. Free of Nintendo licenses, Rare might show off its darker side, which I would happily look forward to.

It'd be a big blow to Nintendo, but not gamers.

Matt "

Quote:

"Hmmm. If next week passes without an announcement, I'd still believe that something was up with Rare, but I'd be more skeptical of news from the source on this particular rumor.

Not to make excuses or anything, but plans do change. What's true today is not tomorrow. This makes it particularly difficult to depend on rumors.

For instance, I knew things about Nintendo and Rare at E3 2002 that absolutely confirmed that Rare was going away. But since that time the relationship could have been salvaged and, to the general public, it would seem that nothing had ever happened. Considering all the rumors, that doesn't appear to be the case, but you get my point.

Matt "

It's official....from IGN:

"September 11, 2002 - In past months, UK development studio Rare has been the subject of a seemingly endless stream of rumors, all of them suggesting the company would break from Nintendo's wings and possibly join with a new publisher. Now we have the full story, anonymously confirmed by numerous credible, high-level insiders. The reports are true. We stake our reputation on it.

Nintendo, formerly a 49% shareholder in Rare, had the chance to purchase the company outright nearly a year ago, but refused, according to high-ranking sources. With Rare software contributions amounting to only 9.5% of total revenues in Nintendo's fiscal 2001 year, and a miniscule 1.5% in fiscal 2002, the publisher weighed the benefits and drawbacks of making additional investments in Rare and decided against it.

Rare went on the market. Publishers bid on the company. Activision and Microsoft were both interested in acquiring Rare, but it was Microsoft who won out and delivered the asking prices for the developer and Nintendo's 49% stake in it. Nintendo sold all of its shares in Rare, according to insiders, and the studio's second-party status was terminated.

The obvious questions then: why all of the secrecy and why haven't Rare, Nintendo or Microsoft made any announcements? The truth is that the details have not been finalized. Insiders allege that Nintendo and Rare are still haggling over licenses, and specifically whether or not Rare will be able to purchase the properties it worked on under the Nintendo brand, including Perfect Dark and other trademarks Nintendo holds. Franchises and characters created and owned by Nintendo, of course, including Donkey Kong, will remain in Nintendo's control. An official announcement, though, is not far off. The latest word is that the news will be made public at Microsoft's X02 Europe event which begins September 24 in Seville, Spain.

Meanwhile, sources indicate that Nintendo plans to utilize some of the money it made in the selling of its Rare shares to entice other development studios to make GameCube software, fund new games, and more. The company's de-emphasized focus on a second-party model and its new partnerships with Namco, Sega, Capcom and others exemplifies its change in development philosophy, and leaves no room for an expensive investment in Rare.

Look for much more on this major news as it develops."

BTW, thier previous game Kameo is rumored to be already running on Xbox hardware making for the possibility of a quick release.

http://www.rarenet.com/cgi-bin/ib/ikonboar...act=ST;f=1;t=26

Stay tuned for the next episode of "As the Deveoper Turns..."

Originally posted by Myname@Sep. 11 2002, 8:24 am

I dunno, for some reason turd humour doesn't strike me as something the Japanese would be big on. Conker is quite a western sort of a game humour wise, I think.

Still cool though
smile.gif

I think the game is genius, i've been obsessed with it ever sicne i got the rom (won't seel m games to minors here) and it's just... WOW. Yeah you are right i don't find it japanese at all i man for chirssakes they gave him an ENGLISH accent and also, i don't think the grim reaper is a powerful horror figure in japan.

That might have something to do with Rare being an English company. Poop is actually pretty prevailant in japanese culture and humor, though.

Personally, I thought the fart and poop jokes were the lamest part of the game, but then again, I'm not really into jocular gastronomical humor. There was some BRILLIANT writing and acting, however, and made me laugh quite a bit. The game itself was pretty damn great too.

Hey this reminded me, i've had this question forever. besides conkers pocket tales and diddy kong racing, has he been in anything else. It seems odd that they would turn him from a nice little squirrel into what he is today without giving him more of a solid fan base so there might actually be some people to recognize the change.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Sep. 12 2002, 6:07 am

Hey this reminded me, i've had this question forever. besides conkers pocket tales and diddy kong racing, has he been in anything else. It seems odd that they would turn him from a nice little squirrel into what he is today without giving him more of a solid fan base so there might actually be some people to recognize the change.

Conkers adventure on N64... he was all cute in that too

Are you sure cause i can't find ANYTHING at all on conker's adventure. I know that the japanese title for conkers bad fur day was conker's QUEST, but i can't find crap on conker's adventure. Could you give me a link if you got one?

Yep
smile.gif

I still don't think this is over... I'ver heard the Stamper brothers will be leaving soon for their own company and that some disgruntled staff will follow them/get back with Nintendo... who knows
smile.gif

One rumour that's been going around since the first rumours about the deal began is that the Stamper brothers want to get out of the business and selling Rare was a way to cash in. No doubt several employees will leave Rare, and the Perfect Dark developers have already left so the question is what Microsoft have bought, besides the brand and a few franchises not owned by Nintendo.

In essence it was a well intentioned (better titles) but ended up being meaningless.

And it seems the Perfect Dark franchise is moving into the 'Anime' look. Check it out here.

I still don't get why they (Stamper and staff) would want to get back with Nintendo, when Nintendo obviously didn't want them, and when Microsoft is dying for some good games...

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Sep. 25 2002, 1:46 am

So they are NOT developing for xbox then?

All rumours at this point, it seems. But hell anyone can start a rumour. From the link above, the Stamper brothers make no indication of leaving (but hell, it's just one line).

Who knows.

If anything, I'm looking forward to a Perfect Dark game that runs about 20 fps and isn't a pain on the eyes to play.

Back