Reading from the framebuffer?

Do u test your engine using high resolution ? Do a small test using max vdp1 resolution 512x224
No, and I won't. The VDP1 just isn't as good as the PS1's GPU, plus it has so many restrictions in high res, I'm not even interested in wasting time on this.

VDP1, in general, has many restrictions.
High-res modes place even more restrictions, the most critical being that the frame-buffer becomes 8bpp rather than 16bpp which breaks the more "intelligent" texture mode.

Really Nice!!! Solid texture mapping with better textures and nice lightings. VDP1 support 128x128 textures? Maybe u can try use VDP2 scroll plane as a big wall and put a high texture resolution with no impact in frame rate like panzer dragon saga do in elevators scene. Your demo look better than many N64 texture map.

Latest video showing collision detection tests.
It still has issues sadly, which will take a while to fix, perhaps even a full rewrite of the engine since BSP are tricky beasts (It's only been like the sixth time I restart with a new engine...).
Still all 64x64 textures, all gouraud shaded. The weapons are drawn by the VDP2.

I will have to create another topic at one point as it's not related to the subject at all.

AI, some animations and unlocked framerate test. Also note the advertisement for SegaXtreme in the intro :

Last edited:
I will publish a demo in 2 weeks for Sage 2019.
Here are some preview shots of dynamic lights now working.
It has some impact on the framerate, but it's quite small compared to how good it looks.
dynamic_lights.png
dynamic_lights2.png

Noticed 2d content doesn't light. Is that optionally enabled? What about using extension RAM cartridge; is that straight forward? Great job!

Noticed 2d content doesn't light. Is that optionally enabled? What about using extension RAM cartridge; is that straight forward? Great job!
If you mean the weapons, I don't light them for now, but I might switch to 3d weapons in the future. As for the RAM cartridge, it would be useless for me.

Is there a problem with hobbyists using this toolkit? Wouldn't mind trying "Resident Evil 2" crossover with this and extension ram cart. If this is free to use, do you take donations? Does this work with Visual Studio 2006? Linux?

Thanks.

Back