Recommendations for subnotebooks?

slinga

Established Member
Hey guys,

Anybody have any experience with subnotebooks (think of them as smaller laptops)? I'm heading back to school in 2 weeks or so and I have $3k in computer scholarship money burning a hole in me. I'm thinking about splitting the money evenly between a new desktop monster and a subnotebook.

For the subnotebook I'm looking for:

- small enough to slip into a pocket

- long battery life (more than 5 hours)

- atleast 1 gig processor, hopefully more

- ram upgradable to atleast 1 gig

And if possible, no touchpad. I hate those things. I prefer those little rubber bits that are on the keyboard.

Here's a machine from Sony I've been looking at. It's not bad, but I think it's too big to fit into a pocket, and it has that annoying touchpad. Damn it.

Ugly Fujitsu, but specs are nice...

Edit: Added a link to the Fujitsu.

I haven't looked much at subnotebooks, but I haven't been able to find a good high end regular notebook that uses an 'accupoint' style mouse in a long time, seems everything is touch pads these days (unfortunately).

The only downside to the accupoint mouse is that those rubber caps do wear out, and they're expensive to replace (atleast for what you get)

The Sony is MUCH smaller, the Fujitsu is just slightly smaller than a standard laptop. Both far too big for a pocket though...

The Sony is a really nice machine, all the major retailers (Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA) had them on display a while back.

~Krelian

It isn't "weird" for a PDA-sized device. Most PDAs and similar very compact devices can NOT make use of x86. There are a few, though. Look for something like the OQO or its competitors (like the Flipstart). They aren't as heat or power efficient as ARM-based mobiles, but they can run Windows XP!

Edit: They aren't cheap though.

I just bought a Fujitsu Lifebook P1120 for only $1k at newegg.

Sure it's not the most powerfull one but it is the cheapest/smallest sub notebook I could find.

Link

Back