Reoccuring problem with burned games

Hoping someone can help me out here, as this seems to be a reoccuring problem, as of such I have a heck of a lotta coasters now trying to make backups.

For Guardian Heroes it plays the opening animated movie, but then just sits at a black screen, won't go to the title screen.

Also on Panzer Dragoon Saga after the Sega logo and the Team Andromeda logo, screen just goes black and refuses to advance any further.

EDIT: And a similar problem with Panzer Dragoon Zwei, after the intro FMV it goes to the title screen, the kicks back to the System screen.

Does anybody know what causes this?

Any information would be much appreciated, thanks!
smile.gif

I have a similar problem with some (most) of my burned games with one of my Saturns. Guardian Heros does this, PDS does not and most of the other games crash randomly at some (random) point.

Best I can determine is that it is a problem with the actual Saturn, as none of my games crash on my other Saturn.

Of course, you probably have a completely different and unrelated problem. For example you may be burning said games too fast or on crappy media. Try burning the games again on some decent media at 4x and see if that fixes you problem.

I've burned at a variety of speeds, my latest being at 8x and 4x.

I'm using Memorex 700mb/80minute CD-Rs, using a TEAC 24x10x40 CDRW drive, with Nero and CDRWIN.

Dunno how the CD-Rs compare though.

shouldn't be...

but I suppose there's no way to tell, although its kinda strange for it to be happening so often now.

Nobody else has any ideas, eh?

You might be using the wrong settings in Nero....I suggest when reading the original games into images, turn RAW mode on for all track modes...when writing back, DAO/96 mode... I would REALLY recommend though that you use CloneCD. A lot of people are going to dispute this now and say it's overkill - well, it is, but it's also a 100% reliable way of backing up Saturn games.

Well the images are okay, that I know, well at least on the account of Guardian Heroes and PDSaga.

What settings would I use to burn Guardian Heroes under Nero? Its iso + mp3 (made my own cue sheet).

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Its just weird that the FMV runs then it dies.

EDIT: Maybe its the DAO/96 thing I'm not doing, I'll hafta check that on my next attempt to make sure that's set. Anything else I should watch out for in the meantime?

Do you have the audio tracks for PDSaga? IIRC one of the tell-tale signs that they're missing is that it crashes mysteriously. The game is definitely burnable with Nero, though. (Oh, and if you're making backups, why on earth convert to mp3s..?)

PDSaga is not iso+mp3, Guardian Heroes is.

PDSaga is bin/cue.

How come i'm always the one that has these troubles >_<

EDIT: These were all received from friends by the way, basically for a test drive, before I go and spend far too much time tracking down my own copies.

If you are getting them from friends, get them to burn and test copies of the games and snail mail/give the CDRs to you. That will let you know if it's a problem at your end with burning, your Saturn or your swapping or modboard (if you have one).

It should be a good start anyway.

its not the swapping or the saturn, that I'm fairly sure of.

I have other backups here that run perfectly, that I burned myself. Maybe its just bad files, meh, maybe i should read up on, and educate on how to properly rip stuff.

EDIT: Although just thinking back a long time ago, I had download Guardian Heroes from somewhere before, and it did the same thing. I've burned GH at a variety of speeds, variety of programs, variety of settings. Ya know I wish it was easier just to find the damn game to buy.

If you can it would be good to get some verified CDRs.

At the very least get one of Guardian Heroes which you've had trouble with before. That way you can try to work out right now what the problem is with that game. If it has happened before it could be a swapping issue.

Originally posted by Nishu@Sep. 23 2002, 6:04 pm

Ya know I wish it was easier just to find the damn game to buy.

How can they be backups if you don't own the originals?

Nishu, this is your lucky day.

lonesuperman recently posted this link to a copy of Guardian Heroes on Ebay.

Best of luck to you.
smile.gif

Nishu,

I just got a bin/cue of Panzer Dragoon Saga Disc 1 from a really great guy, and I burned it, and tested it. It seems to work great on my Saturn.

Originally posted by Nishu@Sep. 24 2002, 4:04 am

its not the swapping or the saturn, that I'm fairly sure of.

I have other backups here that run perfectly, that I burned myself. Maybe its just bad files, meh, maybe i should read up on, and educate on how to properly rip stuff.

EDIT: Although just thinking back a long time ago, I had download Guardian Heroes from somewhere before, and it did the same thing. I've burned GH at a variety of speeds, variety of programs, variety of settings. Ya know I wish it was easier just to find the damn game to buy.

Well, if you are sure you are burning it correctly (and I don't think there is anything special with any of the games you are having problems with) and you have other games that work perfectly, then I would suggest that maybe you have a hardware problem with your Saturn.

Can you test the games on another Saturn?

It maybe simply a case of the laser being dirty. Easily cleaned. It may also be that your Saturn is suffering from the same problem as mine. As yet, I haven't figured out what is causing my problem, though I know that it is not the CD drive.

Nishu, what is the exact size (in bytes) of your Guardian Heroes ISO? I have a haunch I might be able to help you get that game working.

Sad thing is, eBay auctions have a way of being cheap right until the final 5 minutes.
sarcasm.gif

*still waiting for Nishu to answer*

Back