Repairing a GD

Hiho People!

Following problem occured today: i bought my first used DC game (Gauntlet Legends). When I looked at the disc, I noticed a few minor scratches, however nothing serious (at least I thought, only knowing the durability of CDs). However the game either doesn't load on my DC (returns after a black screen to the DC title screen) or freezes after checking for my VMU. I guess GDs are much more sensitive, than CDs. Is there a way, I could get it up running again? My DC isn't the problem, since it plays every other game I posess.

Thanks for your help.

I fixed a couple of GDs with car wax, isopropyl rubbing alcohol and a soft cloth. Clean off the disc with the rubbing alcohol, dry it with the cloth. Dab a bit of the wax on the disc and "polish" it in so that it's pretty thin, then let it dry solid. Take the cloth and wipe off the dry wax (straight from the inside out). Give the disc a shot, it might work. By the way, I don't think it matters, but the wax I used was Armor-All.
smile.gif

Strange as it may sound, toothpaste can be a good polishing agent. Just the right level of grittyness I guess, plus you get a minty fresh game
smile.gif

I have heard people that fix DC games all day long ( at a store I go to) they said if a DC game gets badly scratched its a 50 - 50 chance it will never work again.
tongue.gif

Originally posted by Curtis@July 26 2002, 10:41 pm

Strange as it may sound, toothpaste can be a good polishing agent. Just the right level of grittyness I guess, plus you get a minty fresh game
smile.gif

Yes that works well, but it will actually scracth little groves all into the disc and make a nice pattern depending on the way you wipe it, But it doesn't seem to damage anything, i've used this on many Playstation games and it's worked fine. Also if you ever get a scratch on the surface of a watch put a dab of toothpaste on it and rub away, it completely gets rid of it!!!

You also might be interested in getting a game doctor cleaning machine. They usually sell them at places like EB or Software ect..

But before you go buy more stuff try getting a refund, or another copy of the game from the store you purchased it from.

If the gd has scratches it has a chance to work again, pulishing the surface (very carefully and just once).

But if it has holes, you better start to cry. Look for holes in the gd with a good light source (no, not the sun).

My Worms Armageddon disc got scratched and the sound kept skipping bad during the games. I tried the tootpaste and some other technique, but I have never fixed the problem.

Oh well, at least it was a cheap game.

Originally posted by SegaSaturnDDR@July 29 2002, 3:16 pm

why would you put all that effort into trying to play gauntlet legends?
tongue.gif

One plain and simple word: nostalgia

I've been a sucker for this game ever since I found Gauntlet II for the C64 in 1987. I loved the Genesis version, spent hundreds of Dollars in the Coin-Op and finally found the game in Germany.

Back