Repairing a GG

schi0249

Mid Boss
I am looking at picking up a GG. All the ones I've looked at have good bodies and work, but the screens are hacked. And I see you can buy those on ebay. Also, other than an AC adaptor, any other recommended accessories?

As far as I know it's like changing screens on a GBA. Pull the old one off, stick the new one on.

Will any AC adaptor work (eg MD/Genesis one?) because I'm thinking of getting a GG soon and really need to know this

Originally posted by APE992+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(APE992)</div><div class='quotemain'> What about getting dust between the plastic and lcd? Or is there something on top of the lcd preventing dust. [/b]

Unfortunately there isn't. You have to be careful, and put the new one on fast.

<!--QuoteBegin-mattyph

Will any AC adaptor work (eg MD/Genesis one?) because I'm thinking of getting a GG soon and really need to know this[/quote]

Game Gear uses AC Adapter MK-2103, which is also used by Genesis Model-2 and 32x.

Originally posted by APE992@Jun 22, 2004 @ 09:50 PM

What about getting dust between the plastic and lcd? Or is there something on top of the lcd preventing dust.

try using a very thin layer of hotmelt silicone on the body of the gg before sticking the new screen cover in its place. it works good :cool:

I have replaced dozens of Game Gear and Nomad screens.

Pretty easy as long as you pull the old screen off slowly.

And use a Vacume(sp) cleaner (do not touch the film screen) and with both hands suck any dust out before you put the new screen on.

!) no fans or AC on in the room.

Dust free area like a tray.

ect..

:cheers

You can clean the actual LCD easily, it's not like they're all that fragile. Just don't press hard. I cleaned my GBA's screen with a cotton swab and alcohol. The screen GUARD for either system can be purchased on ebay for a pittance. I use rubber cement to hold the covers down, so they won't come off accidentally, but when I want to replace them again later, I don't have to fuck around with hard or super-strong adhesiveness.

Originally posted by Segabob+Sun, 2005-05-01 @ 09:32 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Segabob @ Sun, 2005-05-01 @ 09:32 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have replaced dozens of Game Gear and Nomad screens.

Pretty easy as long as you pull the old screen off slowly.

[post=133463]Quoted post[/post]​

[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-Dud
@Fri, 2004-06-11 @ 03:23 PM

As far as I know it's like changing screens on a GBA. Pull the old one off, stick the new one on.[/quote]

Changing gamegear LCDs is not as easy as eating peanuts you don't just pull the old one off and stick the new one on. GG's LCD has a ribbon wire soldered to the gamegear ICboard you need hot air soldering to do this because the ribbon wire is highly fragile meaning it can rip off easily

I think the official Mega Wide Gear magnifier is great. It makes the GameGear look like one of those old high-quality cameras. And since it's fully boxed in around the sides, it prevents extra light and glare from entering, so you get a clearer, crisper display.

The game genie is also a must (for any system).

The TV-Tuner is the Beamer of the game-gear periphenalia. I can't say I've really needed to use it ever, but it's just fun to whip it out in public and start surfing for receptive channels (at least until the networks go all-digital).

A Car and AC-adapter are also required, so you don't have to run through batteries like mad. A battery pack would also be nice, but make sure you buy one that's new. I tried some used ones, and they're all worn out and won't hold a charge anymore. Remember that reduced capacity on rechargable batteries is not a result of not letting it drain completely before recharging. It's a result of over-charging. So make sure you time it and unplug the charger when it should be done.

Oh yes, and a pair of headphones.

I also enjoy the Sega game-gear briefcase. It holds the GameGear, all the accessories, and 12+ games.

Check out Tails Adventure. It's a really good old-school adventure game. I don't usually get into adventure games too easily, but I played this one for days until I beat it.

All the normal-sonic games are also fun. Sonic The Hedgehod 1 and 2 are different from the Genesis versions (I think they're the same as the Master System versions though?). Chaos and Triple Trouble are great. Blast is really slow and has awful collision detection, and Labyrinth is isometric and not too fun.

Back