Ripping a DVD.....

Pearl Jammzz

Established Member
K, I am not sure if this is allowed....but it's not game copying so I think I am cool. My mom just got The Last Saurai and I wanna rip it into SVCD.

There is a huge problem...no DVD drive on my PC. My XBox however, does have one. I went and they it into the xbox and loaded up DVD2XBox. Well ripping the files would set my XBox hdd back a lil over 7 gigs. This is where I encounter another problem, I have the stock HDD in there.

SO, I wanna know if there is a way to rip it w/ the xbox while sending the data over to my PC through sum cat5 (network cable to sum ppl)? I have both DVD2SBox and XBCopy and can get any other proggie if needed.

Can anyoen help me out? I really wanna figure this out as I dont have $$ to spend on a DVD drive. Thanks guys :)...and Gals :) (almost forgot the 3-4 of ya.

Well I'm not all that familiar with xbox tools as I don't have a mod in mine, but I don't think there are any dvd2vcd programs for the xbox. The only way I can think of would be to copy the dvd to your xbox hdd, then transfer it to your pc, then rip everything out and convert it. But IMO it would be much, much simpler just to find and download a Last Samurai SVCD. That way you'd only be downloading 700MB rather than copying 7GB, Transfering 7GB, and changing format.

---Ammut

well I have seen torrents but my modem is dumb and blocks a bunch of ports and there is no way to change it (stupid MSN modem!). This causes insanely slow downloads...and P2P networks are dumb cuz it's all a bunch of leechers and noone shares :(.

I think u read it a lil wrong, either that or I wrote it a lil wrong (was like 2-3am). I want to rip all the dvd files (7gig worth) and transfer them to the computer. I gotta do it on the fly though, because my xbox hdd doesn't have enough space. SO if it could rip and transfer it to the PC via network at the same time that'd rock.

I would download movies from torrents -- eps newer ones. Movie companies just waiting to hunt you down...

Well, if whatever tool you're using lets you rip the .vobs like one at a time, that would help. If it doesn't give you an option to only rip a part of a DVD movie, well you're kind of boned.

You can't just get an El Cheapo DVD drive, like $22 after shipping?

I am w/o a job.....I have one in the old HP that worked for a lil while but started being dumb. Maybe I can fix that up...might need a clening or sumthing.

I knew this was a long shot...but it looks like it's too long of a shot. I have no job so money is hard to come by....i'll see what I cna do. That cheapo one might just work :). Thanks guys.

I don't know if you are able to do it; but a direct (several hours lasting...) xbox dvd->PC rip may kill the dvd drive at long term. At least that's why I use cheap dvd drives for backup purposes.

I think dvd2xbox has the option to copy the dvd to a samba share. Share a folder in Windows and edit the dvd2xbox.xml and type in your PC's network settings. Look for a tutorial on xbox-scene.com for more info about samba. I've never done it myself so good luck.

use dvd2xbox version 0.5.4 or higher

Originally posted by Gear@May 18, 2004 @ 05:36 PM

I don't know if you are able to do it; but a direct (several hours lasting...) xbox dvd->PC rip may kill the dvd drive at long term. At least that's why I use cheap dvd drives for backup purposes.

dnguyen posted info that may help him do this, but I still think he'd be better off with a cheap DVD drive.

What? He is not trying to rip an xbox game disc. He's trying to rip a DVD movie by using his xbox, because he doesn't have access to a PC with a DVD drive.

Back