Roll up, roll up! Witness the amazing..

mozilla is nothing but aol spawn
biggrin.gif
hehehehe. so anyways i have to agree with antime. nothing in this world is perfect and when any hacker looks at anything he can find a hole and if its big enough goodie for him if it isn't he will just make it bigger. so anyways yea i never trusted paypal and i guess the fed's in the states are trying to shut em down.

I agree with the last two responses regarding RSA encryption.... but gamefoo, you're misinformed... Mozilla is entirely an open-source project. It's Netscape that's AOL spawn, since it's just a not-quite-up-to-date Mozilla redressed as Netscape and decorated with AIM, custom bookmarks/sidebars etc.

Mozilla itself is an awesome browser, and comes with its own chat client which you don't even have to install. :)

Originally posted by Taelon@Sep. 25 2002, 2:28 am

I agree with the last two responses regarding RSA encryption.... but gamefoo, you're misinformed... Mozilla is entirely an open-source project. It's Netscape that's AOL spawn, since it's just a not-quite-up-to-date Mozilla redressed as Netscape and decorated with AIM, custom bookmarks/sidebars etc.

Mozilla itself is an awesome browser, and comes with its own chat client which you don't even have to install. :)

Yeah Mozilla is totally "out-there" -- nobody owns it -- just lots of people working on it.

Actually Netscape isn't even an AOL "spawn" -- more like a piece absorbed by the blob. Much like Winamp (Nullsoft) and ICQ (Miribilis). They just got bought out. I still love Winamp even though I don't like AOL.

Define "real browser". There were several other browsers available (both graphical and text-mode) when Andreessen started Mosaic while at NCSA. As an interesting footnote, NCSA assigned the commercial rights of Mosaic to a company named Spyglass who in turn licensed the technology to a number of companies including Microsoft who turned it into Internet Explorer.

You actually mean to say Internet Explorer evolved from the old, old Mosaic code, which was even pre-Netscape Communicator 2.0? Haha! HAHAHA!!! :)

And to think Mozilla was made from the ground up to comply with the latest standards and benefit from the latest technologies. Haha. Ha. :) I love this.

(And for whoever doesn't know it yet, Netscape 6.x, which is basically the same as Mozilla, is completely different from Netscape Communicator 4.x and earlier. Sorta like Win9x and WinNT/XP. If XP were open source, that is. ;-)

Originally posted by Taelon@Sep. 25 2002, 7:41 pm

You actually mean to say Internet Explorer evolved from the old, old Mosaic code, which was even pre-Netscape Communicator 2.0? Haha! HAHAHA!!! :)

NCSA continued to develop Mosaic until 1997 but the code must have been forked somewhere around 1994-1995. AFAIK IE1.0 was pretty much the Spyglass code under a different name, but it evolved pretty quickly.

Spyglass' Mosaic wasn't a bad browser, I used it for a while as it was included as a navigation tool on some old Intel Architecture Labs CDs I have.

Well, whaddya know. Distributed.net completed RSA Security's RC5-64 bit challenge. Next up, the 72-bit challenge. It took distributed.net 250 days to crack the 54-bit key and 1757 days for the 64-bit key, when do you think they'll crack this one? (Keep in mind that their computing power has been increasing constantly, both due to faster computers being available and due to more participants in the effort.)

Originally posted by antime@Sep. 26 2002, 7:25 pm

Well, whaddya know. Distributed.net completed RSA Security's RC5-64 bit challenge. Next up, the 72-bit challenge. It took distributed.net 250 days to crack the 54-bit key and 1757 days for the 64-bit key, when do you think they'll crack this one? (Keep in mind that their computing power has been increasing constantly, both due to faster computers being available and due to more participants in the effort.)

so by the time they have craked it the information gained would most likely be useless (not many people keep the same card for nearly 5 years after all) by the time they got it

also probabbly not worth that amount of waiting to actually get the information really

I don't know if the RC5 crypto algorithm is used for browser encryption, but generally a brute force attack is the most resouce-consuming attack and if anyone were after your credit card number they would stand a better chance to succeed by cracking the remote server. AFAIK all major credit card thefts have been made by raiding some company's database of CC numbers. (There are also many simpler way of getting those numbers, but that's beside the point.)

There are many people who have important information that must be kept secret for much longer than five years. This challenge has irrefutably proved to them that for the RC5 crypto, a 64-bit key won't keep their secrets for more than a couple of years. But then again, these people should know all there is to know about cryptos and keylengths.

It's also worth mentioning that information can always be re-encrypted using a different key (on the same algorithm), or a newer algorithm when feasible.

If you stay on top of protecting your data, nobody will ever get at it.

plus you should make the access to your data as difficult as possible for anyone that shouldnt get to it, with the encryption there as a secondary measure anyway if its that sensitive

and if you just want cc numbers the easiest way to get them is to raid the bins of the places that use the old finger trapper carbon copies machines to process cc transactions

those things i would recommend you steer well clear of anywhere still using those things for your personal use 9or use cash in those places) , since they leave a nice clear imprint of the card details youd need (sheets that wont always be destroyed like they are supposed to be)

luckly they are being phased out for a variety of reasons, aminly the insecurity and the fact youd have to manually authorise any large transactions over the phone (the newer system is automatic and doesnt require a person at the other end to speak to the operator either)

Back