Rpg's, i just don't get them....

This is your problem, you begin with the wrong foot in the rpg's territory, "Shining Force III" c'mon it's a great game but just a litle strong or slow for a "fighter or action player" you know what i mean.

I sugest "Panzer Dragoon Saga" this its the game for you, its very short and have a great cinematics sequences and with a wonderfull stroy, and the best of all the style of fight sequences are very dynamics because you are like in a action or shooter videogame.

If you are amateur in the Rpg's camp Panzer Dragoon Saga its your best choice for the Saturn.
wink.gif

Nah, he won't dig the SAGA.

He said, he needs mindless beatfests where you only need to think strategy 0.05 secs ahead, and things moves on-screen non-stop, no more than that.

While SAGA kicks ass, he'd kickly get bored in some of the game's "dungeons". And because he woudn't have full control over the dragon at battle.

I'd suggest Panzer Dragoon Zwei.

And Radiant Silvergun. Ah, Radiant Silvergun. Blink too long, and you're dead :p

Dude, if you got Guardian Heroes, boot that thing and get into the MaD AcTiOn!

Saga is highly recommended but I don't think you'd really like it that much. Try the first two in the series first, they fit your tastes much better. Guardian Heroes is an excellent choice as well, it sorta has a few RPG/adventure elements (stats,exp, leveling up stuff like that) but so do some other games. The AD&D collection would be good too. Saturn has tons of shooting games as well. Anyway, enjoy, and hopefully someday you'll be able to enjoy the stories presented in some of the better RPGs
wink.gif

Now we just need to convince Brinda-whatever to try Resident Evil. To me, that's not even close to an RPG....it's a strategy/action game.
tongue.gif

Originally posted by Taelon@May 22 2002,16:51

Now we just need to convince Brinda-whatever to try Resident Evil. To me, that's not even close to an RPG....it's a strategy/action game.
tongue.gif

lol, that is the first game to completely turn me OFF from Strategy or RPG. You have to backtrack constantly to accomplish one little step that just leads to more annoying obstacles. My friends tried to get me into it, but i just didn't work.

BTW, what exactly is the difference between RPG and Strategy? Isn't it basically the same thing? If I say RPG or Strategy, I am basically refering to any type of game that requires a good amount of strategy. If I refer to a game wrong, my bad. But I don't see much of a difference.

By saying I'd like to get into a "RPG", that includes any type of strategy game too. Because RPG's contain strategy, I guess I will just use the word "Strategy" from now on to avoid any confusion. I just hope you guys know what I mean.

Anyway, I loved Guardian Heros! Me and my brother beat the game last night(on easy mode i admit). If i make it more difficult, will the game last longer? I know the decisions you make decide the game, but if i made the same exact decisions on a harder level, would it last longer or just give me more difficult opponents?

I downloaded Burning Rangers(not sure if suggested) and just played it for a little bit, but I enjoyed that too. I tried Legend Of Oasis and like that too. So far so good with your suggestions. So out of those three, which are considered "Strategy"? I know Guardian Heros has some decisions to make, so would that be considered strategy, no matter how little of it there is?

Any other games like the three I mentioned, let me know and I'll them out(I am in the middle of getting Magic Knight Rayearth, which was reccommended). Thanks!

Landstalker (Genesis) - Isometric view Zelda-style with heavier RPG elements

River City Ransom (NES) - Action-heavy but has RPG elements.

Soul Blazer (SNES) - Zelda-style with heavier RPG/strategy elements

Illusion of Gaia (SNES) - successor to Soul Blazer

Terranigma (SNES) - successor to Illusion of Gaia

Earthbound (SNES) - not an action-RPG at all, but it strays quite a bit from typical RPGs in some ways, so you might want to consider trying it...

Yeah, play River City Ransom! Best game ever IMO. Anyways, you in the US think you got it bad, in Europe we never got Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Brave Fencer Mushashi etc etc etc. Best we can get on Saturn is a knackered old copy of Die Hard Arcade..

There's three major types of games in this area, Strategy games, RPGs, and S-RPGs (Strategic RPG).

Basically strategy games tend to have some kind of war-type plot and you act something like a commander or planner. The focus is more on the command and management aspects of the game than developing any kind of intense story. Good examples of this are Dragon Force, Romance of the Three Kingdoms 1-8, Gemfire (I love it
tongue.gif
), Nobunaga's Ambition 1-8, and so on. This is generally the kind of thing people refer to when they say strategy.

RPGs are usually quest style games with random enemy encounters and a leveling system. The focus tends ot be ont he game's plot line. They also tend to have some kind of advanced equipment and special attack/magic system. A good example of RPGs are Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, Earthbound, Magna Carta, Rhapsody of Zephyr, Eiyuu Densetsu 4, etc.

S-RPGs are considered th ebest of the bunch by quite a few people. THey end to combine the intense storyline development of an RPG with strategic gameplay. Great examples of this genre are the Shining Force series, Langrisser, Fire Emblem, Fengshen Yingjiechuan, etc. You often either command commander units alone or you can hire troops for them prescenario and command them with their troops.

Edit: I figured I should mention Action RPGs too. Action RPGs often have a leveling system but don't really require one. You also collect items and powerups to advance through the quest and expand the area you can play in. They have a focus on story like regular RPGs but they also have an active gameplay system where the player is actually battling and jumping themselves rather than issuing commands in a menu. Some good examples of action RPGs are Alundra, Zelda, Landstalker, Secret of Mana, Soul Blazer series (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma), Legend of Oasis, and so on.

As you can see, Resident Evil doesn't really make it into ANY of those categories
tongue.gif
If anything I'd call it an intelligent Action game with minor RPG elements. Similarly even through the baboons running RPGamer list Dracula X on their site, the game is not an RPG at any stretch. It's a platform game that incorporates SOME RPG elements.

Hope this clears it up a bit

Originally posted by BrindA17@May 21 2002,15:11

CHE:

Isn't the Panzer Dragoon Saga 4 Discs long? I found an FTP with all four. I'd rather buy it, but this may be the only way. I will try to obtain Magic Knight Rayearth too.

Buy it? The original goes anywhere from $100 to $200 on eBay -- Good luck.

That's why you buy it from someone who has it. Get you know your funcoland employees
tongue.gif
They tend to grab everything that comes into the store and dump it when they're done. That's how I got a load of my games including Albert Odyssey. He sold them to me at $5 over what Funcoland owuld have paid him used which was still $35 cheaper than what Funcoland wanted used
tongue.gif

Originally posted by Gear@May 22 2002,00:23

Sure, have you tried Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo ?
biggrin.gif

Of course I have. It's disc 2 of Street Fighter Collection after all.
wink.gif
However, I prefer Alpha 2 Gold (i.e., disc 1) over SSF2T (i.e., disc 2).

Akuma: No shit, that's why I said get ot know the employees
tongue.gif
The employees buy a lot of the used stuff that comes into the store but when they want to dump it, the store won't give them any $$ back for it (no more than any other customer which is jack shit). So if you ask nicely sometimes one of the employees might have one of th egames you're after and he'll sell it to you for a little over what funcoland would give him for it used. Which is still pretty cheap. I got Panzer Dragoon Saga $15 like that a few years ago (sold it after I beat it though) and Albert Odyssey Gaiden for $8.

So how much did you make when you sold PD Saga after beating it? $100? $150?
smile.gif

Rpgs are more game for your $ .

I like rpgs because I beat action games in an hour or 2 , then after you beet it 2 more times its no longer any fun . Rpgs can last a summer .

Taelon: I only got like $70 for it. It was a few years ago back when there was a lot less interest in the saturn. SOmehow over the past few years despite being dead it's gotten a lot of interest from people and become a collectors system hence why some games (even though they aren't rare) sell for ridiculous prices.

Legend of oasis is more like Beyondf Oasis for the Genesis as it a sequle , well actually a prequel to be exact.

Well it's a little late to get to know your Funcoland employees as tey no longer carry Saturn games.

Yea and i mostly agree with with the comments about import RPGS. Fro every Emerald Dragon and Star breaker their a bunch of sup far titles out.

I use to be the same way, in fact I was going to get a 64 back in '97 because of zelda. Then I played Final Fantasy 7. you WILL not ever see a game that good ever. I great combination of story, and game play. However if that doesn't work try Dues Ex, this is the only FPS/RPG in the world, so if you don't like the RPG aspect of it you can always run around and shoot stuff.

i know some people that would BEAT ALL OF YOU for not putting Resident Evil in the right genre, Resident Evil is a Survival/Horror gamem just ask the people at the www.gamefaqs.com message board (the resident evil one's, duh!)

Master Akumamata(spelling?) what fighting games do you suggest i get for the saturn, and include a re-cap of what you've already said as i have a bad... i forgot what i was gonna say
sarcasm.gif

Back