Sammy acquire Sega shares

Eurogamer's take on the same Bloomberg release.

I seriously doubt you'll see more DC conversions as Sammy seem very much against the home console market and the Dreamcast is not exactly the most profitable machine.

No, there will not be many more Dreamcast releases, but the Dreamcast releases they are putting out I would not be surprised if they are ported to all active systems

Sammy is currently planning a more expensive, and therefore more powerful, arcade board in the near future and, as powerful as the past Sega boards have been, I would not be surprised if they ask or request "help" on their next one, and Sega could in turn develop for more powerful hardware. It would be a bad buisness decision for Sammy to force Sega out of Triforce or Chihiro development though, as they have not made back their efforts yet.

Originally posted by Segavagabond@Dec 16, 2003 @ 04:17 PM

Sammy is currently planning a more expensive, and therefore more powerful, arcade board in the near future and, as powerful as the past Sega boards have been, I would not be surprised if they ask or request "help" on their next one, and Sega could in turn develop for more powerful hardware. It would be a bad buisness decision for Sammy to force Sega out of Triforce or Chihiro development though, as they have not made back their efforts yet.

He, more expensive does not necessarily mean more powerful. ;)

Back to the real topic...

Why bother?

They've got Chihiro and Triforce with which they can already be producing readily home-ported games.

Hell, they could licence one of the arcade PS2 boards if they really wanted to.

They could still pump out very graphically impressive games using multiple NAOMI or NAOMI 2 boards.

Frankly it makes very little sense to invest so much time and effort in a brand new arcade system that can't easily flow games on to the home market (which is where the money is these days).

It wouldn't cost that much to build a new board though, based on existing hardware. I don't mean existing console hardware, I just mean it wouldn't be hard to make a Naomi 3 with off-the-shelf parts... so they don't really need to put a whole ton of money into it. As for the ports, yeah, its better if it has home hardware with the same parts.

Back