Saturn 20/21 pins modchip

I found a place selling this babies, but it's damn expensive.

The guy wants US$60.00 on the 20 pins chip, and 50.00 in the 21 pins.

It's a lot, but maybe someone wants them. He just has 3 pieces of each one.

I can send them for anywhere in the world, just paypal me the value + shipping (US$4.00).

Again, I'm just wanna help you guys, It's far easier just buy 2 or even 3 Saturn on a store with that money.

PD

i have to wonder about those 20 pins, haven't ppl bought so called 20 pin mods before to find out they are only for 21 pin saturns.

Originally posted by PrOfUnD Darkness@Mar 5, 2003 @ 08:53 PM

I found a place selling this babies, but it's damn expensive.

The guy wants US$60.00 on the 20 pins chip, and 50.00 in the 21 pins.

It's a lot, but maybe someone wants them. He just has 3 pieces of each one.

I can send them for anywhere in the world, just paypal me the value + shipping (US$4.00).

Again, I'm just wanna help you guys, It's far easier just buy 2 or even 3 Saturn on a store with that money.

PD

Why would anyone pay you $50+ for this?? I mean.. talk about gouging for profits. Any educated person here can buy a mod chip for less than $20 dollars.

$60
blink.gif

I was really interested until I got to that part.
sad.gif

I knew they wouldn't be cheap, but...
ohmy.gif

$20 for 20 pins chip? Where?

Anyway, like I said, it's a lot of money.

I'm not making any profit from this, just wanna to help you guys, I really don't care to use the swap trick like I do since always.

PD

Originally posted by PrOfUnD Darkness@Mar 6, 2003 @ 04:47 PM

$20 for 20 pins chip? Where?

Anyway, like I said, it's a lot of money.

I'm not making any profit from this, just wanna to help you guys, I really don't care to use the swap trick like I do since always.

PD

Gamegizmo.com, and lik-sang.com sell them for under $20.

As for 20 pins? Why bother? At what you're asking, any intelligent person could just buy the 21 pin saturn, and the mod chip for less than that.

I've bought some 20/21 pin modchips from a shop in HK, for 4 USD each.

Are they really that rare?

If some SegaXtreme readers are interested I could try and get some more.

They are a bit fiddly as they come wired for 21-pin and you have to solder off the wire connectors, and put them in the opposite side for 20-pin saturns, you also have to cut one of the tracks in the 21-pin ribbon cable you get with it to get it to fit in the 20-pin sockets. But they work fine.

Later

Alex

how does one tell if they have a 20 or 21 pin saturn? i can't find a faq or something so i'm just asking.

Count the number of wires in the ribbon cable that goes from the CD board to the main board.

You'll need to open the case up to do this.

Originally posted by AntiPasta@Mar 7, 2003 @ 09:03 PM

I would be *mucho* interested! I'm desperate to get my 20 pin Saturn modded (but not that desperate to spend $60
tongue.gif
)

What would be a good price?? Could you handle the de-soldering, and re-soldering of the connector?

Alex

well, name your price :)

If you paid just 4$, I thought about 10$-15$ perhaps?

I think I can handle the soldering bussiness with the proper instructions, or I'll get a friend of mine to help me with it.

Alexh, I'm really interested in these 20 pin mods also.

Have you tried them on a 20 pin US Saturn?

If they work, I'll take one too if you're going to buy one for AntiPasta.

I'll pay whatever he pays you also.

Hi, I'm really interested in the 20 pin mod chip, there are instructions on the net on how to install them also, just use google to find them, they are there with pictures of how to cut and install them.

I'm just tired of the old swap trick for the past 4 years (Nope never burned a motor out, I think it's also impossible unless you keep your saturn on for like 4 hours without letting it spin, yeah then maybe), but hey for 15 to 20 bucks I can give it a shot!

sa2@hotmail.com

If you're taking orders for 20/21 pin mods Alexh, I'd be interested in a few as well.

Originally posted by SegaFreak@Mar 10, 2003 @ 05:46 AM

Alexh, I'm really interested in these 20 pin mods also.

Have you tried them on a 20 pin US Saturn?

If they work, I'll take one too if you're going to buy one for AntiPasta.

I'll pay whatever he pays you also.

I bought several last week. Yes they work with 20-pin saturns BUT: they only have one set of connectors wired for 21-pin.

They look nothing like the Lik-Sang / Lan-Kwai modchips, they have two ribbon cable connectors, one takes the cable from the CD unit, the other is for a small section of ribbon cable that goes from the modboard to the Saturn mainboard.

To make them 20-pin compatible you have to de-solder the ribbon cable connectors, swap them onto the other side of the board, and snip off one of the pins on the 21-pin ribbon cable that comes with the modchip, so that it fits into the 20-pin slot on the Saturn mainboard.

Take a lookhere

I have verified they are definately "V9" modchips pictured here.

I've spoken the the guy who owns the shop, he's got about 10 left. If there is enough interest, I'll pick all of them them up next time.

I'm not prepared to modify them for 20-pin, you'll have to do that for yourself.

Still interested?

Oh, they are solderless too, just one cable that goes to the PSU connector (doesnt need soldering).

Alex

Originally posted by aaron@Mar 7, 2003 @ 09:46 PM

how does one tell if they have a 20 or 21 pin saturn? i can't find a faq or something so i'm just asking.

Definately count the strands in the cable, DO NOT COMPARE YOUR SATURN TO A PHOTOGRAPH !

A lot of the photos are mis-labeled, plus there are hybrid versions (look like a 21-pin, really are 20-pin etc.)

I did this at first and almost bought a 21-pin only modchip.

Later

Alex

Still interested, thats the same site I found also, from google. I think with some patients, and carefully viewing the instructions and pictures, I can pull that mod off. Sa2

I'm definately still interested also.

I can handle all of the soldering and snipping myself.

Only 10 chips left?
ohmy.gif
I can send you money as soon as possible because I don't want to miss this.

Thanks for offering to buy for us guys, Alexh!
smile.gif

Back