Saturn backups tend to crash, for me

Dragon Force always crashes when i try to attack a Gold Castle, around where orange begins the game. It goes to the battle screen, displays the texts, and then when it should load up the "attack, talk, or run" screen, it crashes to the cd player. any ideas what particular files are causing the crash (i can give more specifics if needed).

also, Guardian Heroes loads up fine, but the sound skips a bit (on the saturn, but not on the comp. or cdplayers), and the game freezes to a black screen immediatly after picking a charecter.

lastly, the sound on my sat blows. i use an rf-switch, and i think getting av-plugs will solve this problem. but the static sound (like hearing blown speakers playing television snow) seems related to the cd spinning.

have i just had a run of poor luck getting scratched rips, or is something wrong, or liable to soon be wrong w/ my sat?

Oh well, in the next few days it is off to buy av-plugs and a real game.

Thanks in advance,

John Kean

Considering the munber of problems that you're having, I'd say that it's probably the Saturn that's giving you problems.

When you buy one :rolleyes: let us know it copes with an original.

If it plays originals just fine, then it could be that there's some sort of underlying problem with the way you've been burning CDs. Media and/or burning speed may be an issue.

It could also be that the lens needs a clean.

Lastly it could be that the laser isn't running as well as it used to, but playing with that should probably be the last thing you try.

Whether it affects any problems you're having or not, AV leads should be considered a bare minimum. RF sucks for gaming.

Given the alternatives it does.

Personally I'm happy with composite, but that's considered ghetto by many. *shrug*

rf *shudder* I can't use anything for games lower than composite. I can't really tell teh difference between composite and s-video, but I can tell the difference between s-video and component... and component is yummers.

thanks Mal.

my saturn plays real games just fine, except for the sound (which i again think is due to rf).

i burn w/ nero 5.5. something. w/ an ancient acer 4/4/32.

i think the lens could use a cleaning.

maybe i'll just buy one of those Jap white sats's, for what they cost, the owners ought to have taken good care of them.

once i get avplugs and try a few other burns, i'll ask again if the problems are not solved.

btw, about cleaning cd lenses, q-tips seem like a good idea, but what liquid should i put on the tip, alchol? that just sounds bad.

any ways, thanks again all.

RF really sucks on the Saturn.

With two different cables, my Saturn's RF output is really horrendous.. always fuzzy... and the other day when I played Puyo Pop against a friend, there were random loud buzzing noises.

What the heck is wrong with Sega's old RF cables? o.o; None of that happens with S-Video...

Originally posted by Capt Trips@Feb 28, 2004 @ 02:01 PM

my saturn plays real games just fine, except for the sound (which i again think is due to rf).

I assume by sound you mean CDDA music (played from the disc while the game's running)... that does seem to indicate a drive that's just about barely able to read CDs, such that the game itself makes it OK but the music is being played with hiccups and stutters and such, if not lenghty dropouts. Cleaning the laser lens is a good start, but I would recommend that you not use any liquid at all, rather just exhale onto the lens to make it fog up (like you do with glasses), then wipe it very gently with a Q-tip. That failing, the next step may be either to check and correct the lens calibration (I've only had to do this on a Dreamcast, so I'm not sure about the procedure on the Saturn), and maybe increasing the laser's energy just a tiny little bit. Not to where you're suddenly reading CDRW discs ;) just to stabilize the laser's ability to pick up the CD tracks. :)

Hope this helps!

Back