Saturn Bootdisc Problem

I think I'm allowed to post about this, I couldn't find any rules telling me not to, but if this is against the rules, my apologies and lock this
smile.gif

Anyway I got gotten hold of the Saturn boot disc currently floating around the FTP's, (Yea, I know you still need a modchip etc) and I'm not quite sure what to do with it...

It came with 3 files -

boot.img

boot.ccd

boot.sub

How exactly do I use this? I tried just burning the ccd with Clone CD and it did not work (i.e the Saturn doesn't even read it as a Saturn backup). and what the hell do I ido with the .sub file.

Also, the boot.img seems to have 10 tracks, 2-9 being blank audio tracks... o_0

Originally posted by Shakey Jake33@June 28 2002,23:33

I think I'm allowed to post about this, I couldn't find any rules telling me not to, but if this is against the rules, my apologies and lock this
smile.gif

Anyway I got gotten hold of the Saturn boot disc currently floating around the FTP's, (Yea, I know you still need a modchip etc) and I'm not quite sure what to do with it...

It came with 3 files -

boot.img

boot.ccd

boot.sub

How exactly do I use this? I tried just burning the ccd with Clone CD and it did not work (i.e the Saturn doesn't even read it as a Saturn backup). and what the hell do I ido with the .sub file.

Also, the boot.img seems to have 10 tracks, 2-9 being blank audio tracks... o_0

Simple. You do nothing with it. A burned copy is useless if you ask me.
smile.gif

Yea I know but I'm still interested in seeing it running
smile.gif

And some copied games are strangly easier to discswap than others... o_0 My mod is fried right now...
sleep.gif
If I can't get a game running using the normal swap (happens all the time), I could just discswap to get this boot CD running, then boot the backup I can't get running using the boot CD
smile.gif

The .sub is used by clonecd to write the subchannel of the tracks. To make it work you have to play a little with the options, I would tell you what to change but I don't have clonecd installed right now, so play a little trial & error game
wink.gif
(don't use the same as psx or dc copies, try something like a normal pc cd copy)

Ok I've got this thing running now, thatnks for all the help
smile.gif

I's very wierd tho, I still have the same problem...it doesn't read it as a Saturn backup...but I found that instead of putting the backup in, turning it on, swaping with Original then swapping back., this disc only works if I instert the original *first*, ignore the first swap and leave it as it is, then swap in the CDR on the sceond swap...strange huh?

Sorry for the double posty, I have another question.

Whe I get the disc loaded, it says' Completed' in the top-left habd corner. How do I actually swap in the CDR from here?

After it comes up with 'completed' you just put in a backup and if it's one that's compatible with this Developer's Disc it will boot without you needing to swap. Keep in mind that nowhere near all games appear to be compatible with the CD. I think there was a WIP list somewhere in the Saturn forum. Search it out and see what you can find.

IIRC after the 'completed' comes up there's no obvious difference with your Saturn except that it will boot some backups without swapping.

it should boot 3rd party discs without swapping out

so any of segas own games are a waste of time to start with

youd be better off with a modchip though still, since you need to fiddle with the lid sensor to use the boot disc with a swap

I acquired an original bootdisc some time ago, and yep, it only boots 3rd party sofware, not Sega stuff. Still, lets me play Radiant Silvergun
smile.gif

From what I've heard from friends, there were 2 bootdiscs, the black one used to boot 3rd party sofware (which I have) and the red one used to boot Sega stuff (never seen one of these).

I was just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to use a hex editor to change the ID of a game, i.e. make a Sega game Behave like a 3rd party game, thus allowing it to load with the black bootdisc? I've had no luck with modchips, so it would be most useful if it could be done
smile.gif

I can't verify these, but this is what 3rdman came up with

Originally posted by 3rdman@Sep. 26 2001,15:33

For those who care, I've put together a list of games that are NOT compatible with this boot disk...

Sonic R

Sonic Jam

House Of the Dead

Grandia (both disks)

Bulk Slash

Dark Savior

Sega Ages Vol.2

Die Hard Arcade

Cotton Boomerang

Shining the Holy Ark

Shining Force (All Scenarios and Premium Disk)

Psychic Killer

Gaurdian Heroes

Burning Rangers

Quake

Thunder Force 5

Radiant Silvergun

Legend of Oasis

Panzer Dragoon

Panzer Dragoon Zwei

Panzer Dragoon Saga

Magic Knight Rayearth

Sega Rally Championship

Resident Evil

Deep Fear (both disks)

Phantasy Star Collection

Street Fighter Alpha

Steep slope Sliders

WSB '98

Fighters Megamix

Sega Worldwide Soccer

Elan Doree

Sihlouette Mirage

Virtua Cop

Virtua Cop 2

Virtua Fighter Remix

Bomberman Wars

Blazing Heroes

DonDonPachi

Bomberman Fight

I hope thats helpful...

The rest of that thread is here. Ah, the memories.
wink.gif

As for hacking/patching games to make them work with the third party disc, it could be that it looks at the product code of each game. They are GS-xxxx is for Sega japan MK-xxxxx for Sega US/Euro and T-xxxx for third party. Quickly looking at the list above there seem to be some third party ones that don't work though. Wrong country code at the time of testing? Bad theory on my part? Who knows?

It is interesting that you can play Radiant Silvergun segasonic and 3rdman couldn't.

Yeah, that's a bit odd... Mine's an original grey Japanese Saturn, dunno if that would make a difference.

From the stuff I've got the following boot with the black keydisc:

Radiant Silvergun

Wonder 3

Silhouette Mirage

Final Fight Revenge

Capcom Generation 1-5

Gal's Panic SS

Shienryu

Konami Antiques MSX Collection

Thunder Force V

Pocket Fighter

Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus

And the following don't:

Power Drift

Galaxy Force II

Sega Ages vol 2

Guardian Heroes (USA)

There are several others for both lists, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

The games that don't work for you aren't suprising. AFAIK they are all Sega releases.

What is interesting is that you've got Radiant Silvergun and Thunder Force V to work whereas 3rdman didn't. It could be as simple as the product code yet.
smile.gif

Back