Saturn Console Reliability

Hi,

I'm new at this forum and I'm from Brazil. :cheers

I will start a collection of Saturn Games and I need to know some things.: Is the Saturn Console a reliable hardware? I know that the playstation is fragile as glass but I never heard such complaints about the saturn.

I wonder how many years it works without problems. Today almost all Saturns are second hand and there are none emulators 100% acurate so we must resort to the consoles themselves. (of course the real thing is always better :))

I'm thinking about burning my original games to CD-Rs in order to play them in modded consoles to preserve my collection. I need to know if modded consoles have a shorter life than original ones or if CD-Rs shorten the useful lifes of consoles.

Thanks for any feedback. And sorry, my english is not that good.

All of the saturns I've ever owed have been very solid. I've had one break on me, but it was my fault, as I was unloading it from a moving truck and dropped it on the pavement from about 8 feet.

Modding your saturn won't shorten it's life if you do it right. The swap trick will shorten the life of your saturn, however.

I see. Thanks.

I plan to buy a Japanese Saturn and a Brazilian one. So I guess that I will not have to resort to the swap trick. A modded one would be good to play the back-ups.

My main interest is japanese games after all. The only problem is that I will have to learn some Japanese to play RPGs. :lol:

Originally posted by SegaTecToy@Nov 6, 2003 @ 12:21 AM

I see. Thanks.

I plan to buy a Japanese Saturn and a Brazilian one. So I guess that I will not have to resort to the swap trick. A modded one would be good to play the back-ups.

My main interest is japanese games after all. The only problem is that I will have to learn some Japanese to play RPGs. :lol:

You'll need to patch the image, fit a region switch, or use a converter cart to use 'backups' of those Japanese RPG's on a native console mind =p

my saturn has taken a few good beatings, still works great.

And I use the swap trick, I have for over a year now. Donno how well the system was treated before but seeing as its quite old (I've got a model 1) its works just fine. From what I've seen, Saturns hold up much better over time than the original playstations...though I assume ps1's are a bit better.

---Ammut

Originally posted by mal@Nov 5, 2003 @ 11:04 PM

I do believe he was planning on buying a Japanese Saturn as well.

Yes. There is a guy selling one cheap. I think that I will make the deal now that I know the hardware is very good.

Sega and Nintendo consoles are great hardware ( the exception is the original NES with that wacky cartridge connector :lol: ). But I still think that sega ones are way better.

Maybe sony's lack of experience can explain the problems with the original playstation. Maybe... :unsure:

Originally posted by SegaTecToy+Nov 6, 2003 @ 07:22 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SegaTecToy @ Nov 6, 2003 @ 07:22 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-mal@Nov 5, 2003 @ 11:04 PM

I do believe he was planning on buying a Japanese Saturn as well.

Yes. There is a guy selling one cheap. I think that I will make the deal now that I know the hardware is very good.

Sega and Nintendo consoles are great hardware ( the exception is the original NES with that wacky cartridge connector :lol: ). But I still think that sega ones are way better.

Maybe sony's lack of experience can explain the problems with the original playstation. Maybe... :unsure: [/b][/quote]

Saturn seems like a very reliable console. I accidentally short circuited one of mine, and all I had to do to get it working again was replace the fuse.

On the other hand, I've had nothing but bad experiences with Sony consoles. I have two Playstations and both of them have severe problems to the point where I just don't use them. I had to adjust the laser on my brother's PS2; I think that's a fairly common problem.

I got my Saturn thru ebay, and knowing the kinds of stuff people do in the shipping process, I can vouch for the toughness.

Sony systems are indeed fragile -- many that i know of will stop either playing DVDs or CDs, or even both.

So yeah, a Saturn is well worth your money. Too bad it never took off like it did in Japan.

Back