saturn emulator for dc

I have had AMD processors for a while...started with my K6-2 450 and now I have a 1.2 GHz Athlon TBird...My dad just bought a Pentium4 1.5 GHz computer and it crashes a lot (mine never crashes), plus it is slower. He is kinda pissed hehe I told him he should have got an AMD

My computer cant hold a candle to most these days, but back about two years when I bought it, it was considerd an ungodly powerhouse. I have upgraded a bit science then, this is what I got: Pentium 3 700mhz, 512 mb ram, DVD player, CD burner, Sound Blaster Live! Platinum, Geforce 3 64mb, 23 inch monitor, Quickcam 3000 (just bought it, best one on the maket, cost almost $600), Cable Modem, Scanner, Lazer Mouse, and a hewlet packard printer.

The comps not bad, but the mhz are a bit low these days.

Arakon is right - focusing solely on CPU is going to increase the likelihood that you'll end up with an unstable or slow system. It's been my experience that most CPUs (even the relatively crappy ones like Cyrix 6x86) are stable. However, a bad power supply (probably the single most undersuspected component as far as stability is concerned; there's a reason AMD tests power supplies...), crappy motherboard, or crappy memory could easily result in a screwed up system no matter how good the CPU is. The system also tends to rely on these components in such a way that it can look like something else is causing the problem. There's also bad software, but that's usually a bit less expensive to fix...

When I get a new comp every couple of years I don't just look at the CPU, I look at the video card, sound card, mother board, and manufacturer. Those are normaly the things I most look for in a computer. I always buy Dell comps these days though, and dell in most cases puts intel brand cpus in the ones they make, so thats what I get. An athlon or an intel can look good or bad depending on the different factors you test it under. Also, even though I dont use AMD chips, I don't hate them, but I do hate one of the companys that almost always puts them in the comps they produce: Compaq. I dont trust them in even the slightest, I wouldn't buy a computer off of them if they were the last computer manufacturers in the world.

Quote: from Fabrizo on 9:43 pm on Oct. 25, 2001

My computer cant hold a candle to most these days, but back about two years when I bought it, it was considerd an ungodly powerhouse. I have upgraded a bit science then, this is what I got: Pentium 3 700mhz, 512 mb ram, DVD player, CD burner, Sound Blaster Live! Platinum, Geforce 3 64mb, 23 inch monitor, Quickcam 3000 (just bought it, best one on the maket, cost almost $600), Cable Modem, Scanner, Lazer Mouse, and a hewlet packard printer.

The comps not bad, but the mhz are a bit low these days.

Hey! Mine is worse than that, and mine is a year old! It was out of date when I got it though.

I have never tried to put together a PC myself before, but I probly could. I have a lot of experience in hardware, but I prefer to have companys like dell build my computers for me. Besides, if I made one myself, and I had some problem I couldn't fix without a reformat, how would I get tech support?

pre-made comps generally advertise some good components, but don't tell a thing about the dirt cheap crap they put around them. most of them use mainboards that are simply shit, or use onboard soundcards/onboard video cards, etc.

you usually end up quite a bit cheaper building your own system, and that way you know exactly what's inside.

Yeah, my brother's computer came with a Celeron 600 and has an i810 (I think; it's one of the 81x series) chipset, which has integrated video. It has a big 1MB of video RAM; everything else is leeched from system RAM. Trying to play any whiz-bang 3D glow-fest newer than Quake II on it is futile (and Quake II was crap until we got a decent amount of memory in it; IIRC it came with 32MB). Most stuff from the big manufacturers is halfway decent as far as stability goes, but it's been my experience that they cut costs wherever they can get away with it - I suspect that the AMR slot (AKA "that stupid useless slot that you got instead of an additional PCI slot") was invented for this very reason - to make using cheap sound/modem hardware easier (oh, and cheaper :)).

Back