Saturn / Genesis AV hookups

Basically I want to make my own RCA hookups for either of these systems, where can I get the parts needed?

I have plenty of wires, I just need to know if the part that hooks into the system is a standard thing you can buy?

You can pull the RCA plugins off an old VCR or what not, or I'm sure you can buy them at Radio Shack. However, I think finding a diagram showing how to solder that together, would be harder to find that those female RCA plugs.

The Genesis 1 uses a standard DIN connector for AV if I recall correctly. I think the Genesis 2 may be a mini-DIN.... can't remember what the Saturn uses, but I think it's similar to the Gen 2.

The Saturn uses a non-standard 10 pin mini-din. I've never seen one like it for sale, but good luck if you can find one. It's probably less hassle doing a little modding on your saturn case and installing your own connector.

The Genesis 2/MD2 uses something similar, but not quite the same IIRC.

Originally posted by mountaindud@Apr 28, 2004 @ 06:50 AM

I think finding a diagram showing how to solder that together, would be harder to find that those female RCA plugs.

Actually it was quite easy to find the pinouts of the current connectors so thats not the problem.

It seems the plug on the saturn is the same size as an Svide input, just accepting less pins than the typical Svideo cable has.

Perhaps I could mod one of these, but then that might end up being more expensive and more work than just buying a set of av hookups. :p

Originally posted by RitualOfTheTrout@Apr 28, 2004 @ 09:21 AM

It seems the plug on the saturn is the same size as an Svide input, just accepting less pins than the typical Svideo cable has.

Less pins?

satpin.jpg

The Saturn AV lead that I've got has only Audio L+R and Composite video, so only three pins and the shield ring.

A standard S-Video plug has four pins and shield.

[edited for clarity]

Yeah, I know, I was just trying to clear up IBarracudaI's confusion regarding the numbers of pins in an AV lead. :)

If you're just trying to build a hookup because you think it'd be cheaper, I'd just buy them. You can get RCA or S-Video hookups for cheap enough. I bought stereo A/V cables for my Genesis 2 and S-video for my Saturn off ebay a while back.

Edit: Err, and Mal, my Saturn S-video hookup has 10 pins. My stereo RCA for my genny 2 has 9. I just checked both of them.

lol, the confusion is that some of us (mal..) are talking about the cable's connector and others (me..) are refering to Saturn's connector.

The number of pins in the cable connector depends on its type (svideo + audio, rf, rgb...).

But as Curtis said, the connector (saturn's one) is a little bigger than the standard svideo one...

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Apr 29, 2004 @ 03:06 AM

Edit: Err, and Mal, my Saturn S-video hookup has 10 pins. My stereo RCA for my genny 2 has 9. I just checked both of them.

Yeah, I meant a standard S-Video cable, not a Saturn one, which I thought RitualOfTheTrout was referring to.

Back