saturn lens

hello,

it's known the saturn has different cd-rom controller, but is the lens in all those model the same?

i mean are they exchangeable?(for the lens only of course).

I want to add another question...

one of my saturn's lens dead...so I am looking for replacement.. is there any compatible CDROM Drive with Saturn? it is easy to find CDROM Drive..May be I can find and replace my saturn lens..

please help...

Retro69, have you tried a re-cab on the laser 80% of the time that will fix any problems it has reading the disc.

Just turn the yellow potentimeter on the side of the laser clockwise by about 1/8 a rotation.

Originally posted by NHJ@Sat, 2005-11-26 @ 09:21 PM

hello,

it's known the saturn has different cd-rom controller, but is the lens in all those model the same?

i mean are they exchangeable?(for the lens only of course).

[post=141949]Quoted post[/post]​

I've tried exchanging the lens of my defective sega saturn just for experiment but sadly it didin't work because it is not the same model but if you try to swap a lens of thesame model sega saturn it will work 100%

to Mr.retro69:

I don't think there is a compatible CD-ROM drive for the saturn but if you can decode the signals to and from the ribbon wire and succesfully connected it to the sega saturn mobo.... :blink: maybe it will work

Originally posted by orta@Sat, 2005-12-24 @ 05:07 AM

to Mr.retro69:

I don't think there is a compatible CD-ROM drive for the saturn but if you can decode the signals to and from the ribbon wire and succesfully connected it to the sega saturn mobo.... :blink: maybe it will work.

Retro69, through trial and error try some CD player/CD-ROM drives lasers, if they have the same type of FFC (no. of pins/width) connecting the laser to the assembly then the laser will most likely be compatible with the Saturn (obviously you need to use the saturn CD board not the CD player one), you may need to re-cab it aswell, i did this to my DC using an old CD-ROM drive and with a bit of tweaking it worked great.

Good luck if you try to do this.

Originally posted by ptr.exe@Sat, 2005-12-24 @ 08:13 AM

Retro69, through trial and error try some CD player/CD-ROM drives lasers, if they have the same type of FFC (no. of pins/width) connecting the laser to the assembly then the laser will most likely be compatible with the Saturn (obviously you need to use the saturn CD board not the CD player one), you may need to re-cab it aswell, i did this to my DC using an old CD-ROM drive and with a bit of tweaking it worked great.

[post=142778]Quoted post[/post]​

No offense Mr.ptr.exe but if retro69 will ask me, I don't recommend that kind of trial and error replacement because it "might" damage the main cdboard of the sega saturn and some laser lens requires higher milli voltage to operate, but if your desperate enough go ahead and do it there's no harm in trying. DC and sega saturn are different

Originally posted by orta@Sun, 2005-12-25 @ 06:10 AM

No offense Mr.ptr.exe but if retro69 will ask me, I don't recommend that kind of trial and error replacement because it "might" damage the main cdboard of the sega saturn and some laser lens requires higher milli voltage to operate, but if your desperate enough go ahead and do it there's no harm in trying. DC and sega saturn are different

[post=142808]Quoted post[/post]​

No offense taken :)

Its really only an option if you're desperate, as there is a possibilty of shorting out the CD board. As for some lasers needing more voltage, that is why you may need to recab as the laser will not be strong enough.

I know ss and dc are differant, but they both use a standard CD lens, not anything special. That's why its possible to stumble accross a compatible laser - as these are mass produced alot of hardware will use the same type of laser pinout, you just need a bit of luck.

Back