Saturn on a VGA Monitor ? ? ?

The saturn can't output VGA, it can however output rgb at 15Khz. If you want to connect a saturn to a vga monitor your best bet is either an xrgb2+ ($$$) or a cheapo composite video -> vga converter (blech graphics). If you want to connect it to a monitor for the purpose of really good graphics then you want to get your hands on an rgb monitor (like the commodore 1084 monitors). If you are doing this cause you don't want to have a tv or something like that, then get the xrgb2+, it's really expensive, but it will let you connect pretty much any of your systems to a vga monitor with good enough graphics.

yo found this on lan kwei see this

http://www.lan-kwei.com/saturnE/

3RD PARTY

AV CONVERTOR DX

- connect basically any AV device (PAL/NTSC) to your PC VGA monitor

- 1x S -Video and 2x AV input

- extra speaker output

- brightness, contrast, hue and color will be digitally adjusted

- easy to use OSD screen with digital control

- extra high resolution, low radiation, energy saving

- input quality type Y:U:V 4:2:2

- output quality type R:G:B 8:8:8

you think it will be done ?

peace

younos

That will display it on a vga monitor yes, however the quality will be less than great. You are taking a composite video source which is a barely tolerable video signal... and converting it (every conversion of any type lowers quality of video signal) to vga. Using a box like that at best will give you graphics equivalent to that of your tv, more likely it'll give you slightly lower quality graphics than your tv. And I'm not even going to go into at worst ^_^;;

S-video in is going to be at best s-video quality. At worst it'll be a little less than s-video. Only way to get good vga graphics is for the unit to have vga out natively (like dcast) or to use a transcoder on 480p/720p component to make it into 480p/720p rgb. (the xrgb2+ upscans to vga, and is about the best you can do with something that doesn't output vga natively).

I really don't care too much about graphics quality, I mean my favorite system is a saturn :devil

Mostly for space reasons I want to have my saturn hook up to my lcd. I'm moving to a dorm in a week or so.

You can buy external TV tuner with s-video & av input (like Avermedia AverTV Box 3) - it works fine for me, picture quality is good. It also have upscan to 60Hz from any source for LCD monitors.

all know the Dreamcast VGABOX , is there any way to modifid the box to connect it with the saturn.Or is there any cable that I can build , i have some skillz in electric stuff.

thanx to all ya

ys

The DC VGA Box exploits the fact the the DC can output a VGA signal with no extra conversion required. The Saturn just can't do this, so there is no way to modify the DC VGA box to work with a Saturn.

well, according to the VDP2 docs the Saturn *can* output video at 31khz horz. and 60hz vert. refresh, that comes pretty close to VGA I think (but i'm no expert).

The games would have to be reprogrammed for this though... maybe antime can shed some more light on this?

The specs of that display mode do look lika a close match to VGA, but the strain on the video chips is so great you lose most features so it's not really usable for games. It seems this mode was designed mainly for displaying static bitmaps, for information displays or similar.

Wananana-na! This may be of some service. ;)

saturn1.gif

saturn2.gif

1. Composite Video

2. Luminance

3. Chrominance

4. 5 VDC

5. Red

6. Green

7. Blue

8. Sync

9. Stereo R

10. Stereo L

You may want to check out my little Saturn Collection Page which shows my trusty Saturn hooked up via RGB (wires soldered to the PCB) to a Commodore 1084S-D2 monitor! :D

Nice setup you've got there. I've thought about getting one of those old monitors myself. One question though, why did you mess around inside the system when you could have bought a saturn RGB cable(Jap or SCART) and modified the cable? I thought that was the way it was usually done. Or was it pretty simple inside there?

yeah I used a pinout like that from gamesx.com to do my Saturn Mod. In any case, the best solution is to get a sony gvm-2020 monitor ^_^. It does rgb at 15khz and does vga. That way you can plug your systems into it and run them on vga, and systems that support progressive will work on it too!

Edit: don't expect that link to my mod to work for atleast several more hours, doing some massive backups across the internet from that connection.

Originally posted by Stephen_Ri@Aug 27, 2003 @ 09:31 PM

Nice setup you've got there. I've thought about getting one of those old monitors myself. One question though, why did you mess around inside the system when you could have bought a saturn RGB cable(Jap or SCART) and modified the cable? I thought that was the way it was usually done. Or was it pretty simple inside there?

Finding an SCART connector was my problem. I know there were a couple sold on eBay at the time, but they were all 3rd-party and in unmarked boxes. Hell if I'm gonna take that chance. Anyhow, the bottom of the Saturn's PCB is really simple (the A/V part, anyway). I didn't have much trouble wiring it all up.

Though it's gonna be a pain in the neck once it comes time to change the Saturn's save battery. :x

LMAO, yeah that's why I opted to drill my saturn lol. I did install some stuff in that portion of the saturn for a friend, but I figure I might want to put a vcd card in there someday :D .

I hooked up my saturn to my friend's TV with S-video, everything looked mad pixealted. WTF.

My friend claims it's because the saturn is now capable of displaying more pixels, only the games don't have more pixels to display. Or some crap.

What a rip of $5.

Back