SCU: controlling M68EC000

hi folks,

maybe this is something documented but i really am annoyed by browsing those weird named PDF files...
blush.gif

anyway, what i want to do is to port some code (MOD/S3M player) which i had done on an Amiga600 a long time ago and simply upload it to the program area (44K of size if i am right) and execute it. i've seen that functions for sound initialization in SGL do something like that. is it as simple as that?

another question, i used an example for "Partitioned File Loading" from the docs and created a buffer in memory which i play until no bytes are left and then load the next "partition" for playing. as Satourne does not support SCU debugging a. s.o. and i can't get an iso working my question is: is it is possible to let "slPCMOn(...);" play a buffer that is most certanly located in the main work-RAM and then play until slPCMStat returns 0? does it load data to the SCU's ram?

thx folks!
biggrin.gif

Sorry, I can't help you but as you're talking about M68EC000, why this 68k couldn't be called to make a Megadrive emulator ? I was wondering that for awhile.

Because provably we had to map all instructions to the target memory, and we don't know how to make this or even if it's possible. We can't also debug the code we put in it. When Saturn emu's advance to perfect emulation of the sound, we can talk about this, and even then we'd find out it's pretty mutch impossible.

Sorry, I can't help you but as you're talking about M68EC000, why this 68k couldn't be called to make a Megadrive emulator ? I was wondering that for awhile.

The 68K has no MMU, so I don't think there's really a way to construct a usable memory map.

Originally posted by TakaIsSilly@Mar 15, 2003 @ 10:17 PM

Because provably we had to map all instructions to the target memory, and we don't know how to make this or even if it's possible. We can't also debug the code we put in it. When Saturn emu's advance to perfect emulation of the sound, we can talk about this, and even then we'd find out it's pretty mutch impossible.

well, one could do that easily. just leave the sound-driver provided by SEGA alone and program your own "sound driver". it's just a matter of fact that SEGA never said something about that the 68K+DSP only can play sound even w/o the driver. what is possible, is to control the 68K via flags from the outside and send data to its memory area or not indicated by those status messages.

anyhow, i agree that no (at least no fast) Mega Drive emulation is possible since the 68K can't plot directly to the VPDs nor the Hostsystem so one must process the resulting data twice so it wouldn't be much more effort to write another 68K emu that run's on the SH2.
tongue.gif

this is off topic btw...
huh.gif

Originally posted by AntiPasta@Mar 17, 2003 @ 11:38 AM

speaking of emulators, Wonder_K, how about we write one for the contest?

hmm... yeah, but i guess i'm not that far with saturn development to start an emu-project on saturn.

remark: i never even made an emu by now.
blush.gif

let's just see how we get along with the current project. it's not necessary to win the contest but to produce something which is usable and can be finished in the specified timeframe, ok?
wink.gif

Originally posted by AntiPasta@Mar 17, 2003 @ 06:39 PM

right. Too bad it's only 1 entry per person as I also have a chip8 emulator in the pipeline...

what's chip8? can someone be kind and clear this up to me? YES I KNOW, i'm stupid!
biggrin.gif

well, CHIP8 is some REALLY old asm language which never existed natively, it was made to be emulated somewhere in the 70s and it's got all these pacman'ish, tetris etc. games on it... try google there are some good sites about it

have you ever hear that you have to apply for being allowed to be a costumer of those friggin isps? if they think you aren't worthy...
angry.gif

BTW, ALL THIS IS OFF TOPIC!!!! :bs

Back