Sega 3D AGES games...

Okay, I figured I was gonna pre-order them first, but my wallet said something like "fuck you!"

Then I figured I was gonna order them on the release date, but then my wallet said "hey, did you know your girlfriend´s birthday is just a couple of weeks up ahead?"

And now...

I´m sitting here...

Broke, without the info I´d hoped to get...

Anyway, if someone got them, here´s "some" of the info I want to know:

game ID nr. (you know, the sles, sces, whatever)

Media type (CD/DVD)

Disc name (You know, either it´s the game ID nr. or it´s something else that might match the game name)

Disc TOC size (The size the disc "claims" it has)

The total filesize (the "real" size of the disc, just mark all files on disc, right click -> Properties)

The total amount of files and stuff (a file list for each game would realy be great, especialy with size info and everything)

And that´s about it... in the first round...

Someone wanna give me the originals (or the money to buy them :lol: )

Oh, thanks ^_^

Why do you need to know whether they are on DVD or CD and their respective sizes?

Just a little private research, that´s all...

I´ve been watching games that are put on DVDs while they´re only like 200mb (Capcom vs SNK 2)

There are also "bigger" games on DVD, which are on DVD without reason...

The DVD/CD thing can easily be figured out if someone could just supply me with backcover scans...

Also, if someone cares to do a filelist + size for each file...

The disclayout (LBA order) would be great!

(I´ve got a huge collection of games for many systems, and let´s put it this way, for some reason, stuff like this interest me, especialy in remakes, re-releases (Original release -> Platinum, etc...) also, if there are changes between versions (either language versions or platinum and original versions and stuff...) and if there is a similiar lay-out or similiar files on other games by the same company/group/team, modifying the data is in most cases easier to modify, or atleast, chances of "finding" stuff is greater ^_^ NO, I´m NOT saying I will attempt to translate any of them, but atleast, it would be tempting to do it... But I guess I´ll just stick with toying around with those damn games... Also, my research on games are freely available, just to ask what I´ve discovered and I´ll spread the words :lol: )

(edit) for some reason, I prefer to use the same topic for multiple things... anyway, still no tool that can rip the speech from Snatcher (SegaCD)... do I REALY have to manualy record every little bit of speech...?(/edit)

Originally posted by Carnivol@Sep 1, 2003 @ 05:23 AM

Okay, I figured I was gonna pre-order them first, but my wallet said something like "fuck you!"

:lol: That was good

No, I don't think any of the new Sega Ages games have been released yet..

3 of them are out (PSG1, Fantazy Zone and Monaco GP) also, I think Fantazy Zone is the only one that´s getting a "real" English release...

The release date for the 3 first was 28/08/03...

Dunno when 4-5 are out (GoldenAxe and Space Harrier)

Also, have no idea for the rest of the 3D AGES 2500 releases...

Guess they´re all set for a couple of releases each month from now -> sometime next year...

(edit)

Found a list:

Sega Ages: Alex Kidd in Miracle World ( JP)

Sega Ages: Bare Knuckle ( JP)

Sega Ages: Bonanza Bros. ( JP)

Sega Ages: Fantasy Zone ( JP)

Sega Ages: Gain Ground ( JP)

Sega Ages: Golden Axe ( JP)

Sega Ages: Last Bronx ( JP)

Sega Ages: Monaco GP ( JP)

Sega Ages: Phantasy Star Generation 1 ( JP)

Sega Ages: Phantasy Star Generation 1 (Limited Edition) ( JP)

Sega Ages: Phantasy Star II ( JP)

Sega Ages: Phantasy Star IV ( JP)

Sega Ages: Space Harrier ( JP)

Sega Ages: Tant-R ( JP)

I guess there are more (like altered beast)... But I don´t think 3D AGES are working on those, I think Sega put some other company on those remakes... (as they are more like sequals when it comes to gameplay than remakes...)

(/edit)

CHRIST! This is remake heaven!! - I had no idea that Sega was remaking all those :drool: Remake of Alex Kidd in Miracle World? I'm there dude :smokin: I love remakes (as long as the gameplay stays the same of course). Hmmm, *scratches chin* maybe it's time for me to buy one of the systems that are currently on the market atm. Though I wouldn't like to think about what my wallet would say to me.. I gotta start saving :) This is definately a good move by Sega :bow

The "best" part about these remakes are the 2500yen part ^_^

All the games are low-price games from the beginning!

Now, back to the topic...

Anyone got those 3 that currently have been released?

(and can fullfill my "request")

Okay, I'm getting vol.1-3 now.

Anyway, I'll post the updates on my research somewhere around this place + some other place(s)

Guess the future for these in the English world seems "VERY" small...

I mean...

I don't get it...

How the HELL could the guy at IGN compare it with the Ys1-2 remakes (Eternal Story) for PS2...

And actualy, pick PSG1 as the game of choice...

Anyway, disc lay-out for Phantasy Star Generation 1 is very simple...

One file for Graphics, one for Music, one for Sound effects, one for text, etc...

+a folder with all the modules/drivers for additional hardware support (Memory cards, joypads etc...)

Anyway, a save takes freaking 221kb on the memory card o_O

FFX takes 96kb (if my memory isn't completely jinxed up)

What's all this about!?

And it only features ONE save pr.memory card!

(and ofcourse, it has the usual lack of support for memory cards in port2)

Also, the graphics aren't bad, but for some reason, they figured out they didn't want to spend time on GOOD animations...

The disc is only 70mb...

So why is the animations crappy?

The animation used for walking sideways/down at the same time, is the same animation used for walking sideways and sideways/up...

Shame...

+The dude at IGN said the music was in CD-DA quality and stuff..

Yeah, right...

It's unfortunatly a crappy midi set, only 2 of the tunes I've heard so far are "good" (battle + intro)

Everything else besides those two are like 20 seconds (max) repetitive stuff...

I like the originals best...

Anyway, as the discs has a VERY simple lay-out, I guess translating these games into English wouldn't be such a big task, only thing that's needed is someone with Japanese skills (as the game is supposed to have had some game/event changes and added stuff)

I'll post some stuff about the others too (later)

Just need to get'em first (was supposed to have'em now, but something stood in my way)

Okay, some besides me has to have atleast ONE of these games now... right?

Someone that´ve played Phantasy Star Generation 1, or have seen a lot of pictures of it...

Find me some text strings to work with...

I need non-japanese letters and evt. numbers (not the little thing in the intro, it´s too short)

preferably atleast 5-6 numbers in a row if there´s numbers (but then I´d like to know what Hiraganas, Katakanas and Kanjis they´re surrounded by)

Or words of ATLEAST 4 letters. (Can be random gibberish too ofcourse, just as long as it´s in-game and correct)

By the way, Monaco GP disc is 200mb, I got the feeling that this game got some great music.

(remember some cool tunes playing during a trailer for it)

Gonna check it out when I get home (not gonna check it out when I get home if my DC has arrived)

Okay, current date 21.09.03...

4 days 'til Space Harrier and GoldenAxe...

If anyone gets'em before me, let me know whatever info you can share with me on them ^_^

Here's a quick review before people go out and spend their money:

Graphics are on early PSX level.

Textures are bad, models so-so.. the tail-swinging riding animals are a joke. ridiculous bad modeling. also, they run off the first time you get knocked off them.

sound is great. orchestrated versions of the original music.

controls.. suck.

they respond badly, there's very little control over combos.. half the time when the enemy is dead halfways through a combo, it'll just keep going, including the motion to grab and throw the enemy (which is no longer there) after the combo.. looks stupid.

jump attacks are hard to control. the enemy will ALWAYS win a running kick duel.

Magics look ok, but again on PSX level.

the AI is plain stupid.. sometimes an enemy will stay on the side of the screen and do nothing at all. the attack patterns are almost always 2 guys on one, 1 on the other side.. you attack one side, other side runs towards you and kicks you in the back. avoiding the kick is very hard due to the sloppy controls.

New stuff:

The green dwarves giving food for energy are in this game (they used to be in GA II for the first time). The "backwards" hit from GA 2 is included. Killing enemy fills up your magic bar. a second running attack was added (ground slide).

honestly, I'm disappointed and will stick to the original Genny game.

Bah.. poor controls or not, I've been a Golden Axe fanboy my entire life (still play Golden Axe II daily. It's soundtrack is more than enough to keep playing), so I MUST own this game. And Phantasy Star, Space Harrier, Fantasy Zone, Virtua Racing, Phantasy Star II, Phantasy Star IV, etc. :) ;) :cool: :lol: :D :p :cheers :hehehe: :smokin: :drool: :thumbs-up: :bow

I thought those green dwarfes were in Golden Axe 1 on the Genesis (along with the Blue ones, just that the Green were "rare")

oh well...

Anyway, finaly there´ll be something like a "new" golden axe...

oh well...

I also remember the green dwarfs, they were at least in the Master System version of the game. But they never showed up in the middle of levels, just at night camping.

I've never played GAII, didn't even know about it! I've played the Action-Rpg on Master System though. ;)

It really seems that the "new" GA sucks, I hope this won't continue with all the other Sega Ages 3D-releases.

Well, Golden Axe and Space Harrier bumped through that strange crack in my door today... (actualy, I don't get my mail delivered that way, it's actualy delivered in a mailbox 300meters away from my place...)

Anyway,

Golden Axe was a disgrace...

It looks like something homemade...

Without any effort into it...

Only thing that realy "works" is the music...

And well... those new "cut-scenes" are a cool add...

(not just keeping the old/normal camera, but moving it to new views and stuff)

But anyway...

No map between stages (shame, that's propably one of the "best" things in the original :p)

There's no "beginning" on the stages...

Only stage you actualy start at the beginning of is the first stage (every other stage starts a screen or two further down the alley than in the original)

So no edges to jump down anywhere...

"Hey, there's edges in the middle of stage 2" you might say...

Yes indeed, but the stages in this remake is split in 2 parts.

So the split was obviously (uhm...) put in at that split, so it cuts there and starts loading, and bang, you're not on-top, but on the bottom... wow!

Also, I'll take a closer look at Fantasy Zone and Space Harrier on Monday...

(Can't on Sunday, too busy schedule, just got SOS - Final Escape/Disaster Report + some other junk in my inbox too ^_^)

Back