Sega CD picky with CD-Rs

Does anyone of you have an old Sega CD 1 like I do? Do you get any problems with it? Mine dates from 1992 and has big problems with CD-Rs (copied games) - games freeze after 1 to 5 minutes through the game. I'm thinking about having my Sega CD's laser changed anew - have any of you done that already? Did it get better afterwards?

Is it the Sega CD, or the games? If the burns are a little old, that can have a bearing in how well they work, or if they were burnt at a speed too high (greater than 4x can sometimes cause problems) that might also affect how well they work.

Try the same games in another system first if possible, before doing something drastic like changing lasers.

(Edited by Curtis at 6:28 am on Nov. 25, 2001)

Mine did something similar [but very erratically - and not on all discs]. I hooked it up to another one of my Gennys, and it was fine. I'm not saying this will solve your problem, but... it's worth a try. Getting another laser wouldn't be worth it - you'd be better off buying another unit.

My model1 is picky about everything - CDRS, which Genesis I use, which controllers I have plugged, whether or not I'm using my ProCDX cart, time of day, color of my hair [it prefers dark blue], and it especially loves to fuck with me when I'm already in a bad mood. ;)

total lockups could only be caused by the laser if they happen while something is loaded. if it simply freezes, it could be bad contact to the genny, a dying PSU, etc.

Quote: from Mo Threat on 9:56 pm on Nov. 25, 2001

...color of my hair [it prefers dark blue]...

Very cool.

I used to have bright red, bright green and purple hair, but I never tried dark blue.

Quote: from mal on 11:55 pm on Nov. 25, 2001

Quote: from Mo Threat on 9:56 pm on Nov. 25, 2001

...color of my hair [it prefers dark blue]...

Very cool.

I used to have bright red, bright green and purple hair, but I never tried dark blue.

Heh heh. I've gone bright blue [Punky Colour Alantic Blue], bright red [Manic Panic Vampire Red], dark blue [Manic Panic Midnight Blue], a few nasty faded colors in between, just plain powder bleached, and of course good ol' fashioned [Clairol] blue/black. I have waaaaaay too much time on my hands.
smile.gif

Back