sega CD rip

sizone

New Member
use raw (dao) for burning, but not for ripping.

though i think it'd be fine for a segacd image it messes up the country code, manufacturer and the rest of the bibliographic info on saturn rips
 

King M

New Member
For Sega CD games, either way will -work-, but that doesn't imply it's perfect copy.

Up until recently I have been pushing for mode1/2048 images made with CDRWin, but I have come to the conclusion CDRWin doesn't bother to copy everything from the disc exactly as it is, so I now hate CDRWin and would like kick the fuckers from Goldenhawk in the nuts for creating a program that acts in such a manner.

Sega CD discs have 150 bad (or unreadable, or something) sectors at the end of the data track, which cause issues with applications trying to extract the data in mode1/2048 format. I've known this for a while, but it never really caused me any concern, because CDRWin would happily make a full mode1/2048 disc image without any sort of resistance.

After a (heated) discussion with someone (sorry derfunk)who told me that Nero would not burn the image of Earthworm Jim I had made in this fashion, I did some testing and realized CDRWin would see these sectors on the disc, be thoroughly confused, and decide they were not worth the trouble, thus moving on without a second thought. The problem is that the TOC of the disc is now not accurate due to the difference in length of the data track in the image compared to the data track on the original disc. This causes problems with Nero and Blindwrite, but CDRWin will burn the image and it seems to work fine in an actual machine.

After some testing, I discovered Blindread (of the Blindwrite suite) and CloneCD will both read all the data from the disc and put it in an image, although both of these programs create only mode1/2352 (raw) images. This is due to the original purpose of these programs, reading everything from a discs whether it was supposed to be an error or not. Just to be complete, I tried making a mode1/2352 image with CDRWin, and it continued to skip the bad sectors.

So to answer the question, I guess, you can rip in either mode1/2048 or mode1/2352 with the program of your choosing, and burn the image with whatever program will accept it, and it will probably work. In my professional opinion (I am hereby declaring myself a professional), it would be best to use Blindread to rip the image to a bin/cue.

PS. I haven't yet burned a Blindread image of a Sega CD game, but I will sometime this week and will report if it works or not.
 

Taelon

Member
That's interesting. I, too, have made the experience that CDRWin (and CDRWin only) complains about the 150-sector gap between tracks 1 and 2 being bad sectors, with *certain* game discs (not others, though).

It is true that CDRWin - when it does rip a disc without aborting - skips whatever is in those gaps and instead just notes a PREGAP or POSTGAP in the cuesheet it creates for the .bin image.

Maybe this is after all the reason why Nero sometimes produces bad discs when burning bin/cues created with CDRWin.

I've turned my back on bin/cues entirely and now create iso/wav images only, whenever possible (that, or I use CloneCD). I've figured out that if you use ISObuster to extract track 1 right up to 150 sectors *short of* its indicated end, you get an ISO of the correct length with the actual data only, and no useless gap included. Then I rip the rest to .wav and make a cuesheet with Sega Cue Maker. Such an image always replicates PERFECTLY when you burn it back - no audio-sync or other issues.
 

King M

New Member
well fuck. I did some testing and could not get blindwrite to work really at all. I tried a blindwrite and clonecd image of the same game with blindwrite, and neither worked. I burned a blindwrite image with Alcohol 120%, and it worked, but I don't think the disc is identical to the original. I made and burned an image with Alcohol, and it worked. The data track seemed perfect up until the last 150 unreadable sectors, but when looking at the 1 audio track for my test game, the data was off by 272 bytes. I can't say for sure that the audio on the burned disc is any different that the original disc, but I will be doing further tests. Ultimately I'm going to try and create a discs where all the data and audio is exaclty where it should be. I've decided the 150 sectors of unreadable data are not important, so as long as everything else is in place, I will be happy.
 
Top