Sega DONE with Sports!!!!

I kinda have mixed feelings about this.

But overall, I think I'm happy that they are getting out of sports.

Now they can focus on "real" games and work on marketing them.

I would have to agree as much as it sadens me to see them out of the sports biz, hopefully now they can focus on bigger and better things, like Shenmue 3!!!!!! Lol.

Well, it's good that they made the move now, because otherwise Visual Concepts was just gouing to founder.

I' am saddened, but Take Two probably has more cash and clout on the game scene these days. Look at the quasi-exclusive MLB deal. I don't know if Sega could get that done on there own. Theough I am opposed to exclusive deals, looks like EA wants to play that kind of game. Next year we only get ESPN 2005 (if they are truly dropping the Madden name).

As for Sega, it is kind of the proverbial "doble edged sword". Sports games as a genre generate the most revenue. But they also cost more. I'm curious what kind of profit EA will see off the NFL deal.

yeah I too am curious to see how EA fares with the NFL deal, and I wonder also what will take two and visual concepts do for NFL.. or football in general. I would like to see them release a college football game, that wouldn't be ultra expensive.

'cept doesn't EA already have the NCAA, who governs all college sports? I know NCAA Football uses the same game engine as Madden.

Hmmm... Maybe a return to the days of player-centric game titles. Joe Montana Football 2K6 anyone? Troy Aikman Football 2K6? And how come Dan Marino never got a game title? (Sorry, don't like football enough to know the names of any current big-name players these days.)

EA doesn't not curently have a deal with the NCAA. And as for player centric, it would be difficult. They would have to devise all new teams/names. They would have a better time making a CFL game (who knows how long it'll take EA to pick that up). Personally, I hope they just focus on making the best NCAA football game out there.

No it would be easy to make a college game, the players don't get paid and therfore their is no licensing for them all they need to do is the teams, and thats it. and it would sell more than the CFL.

Originally posted by stack99@Tue, 2005-01-25 @ 04:28 AM

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/01/24/news_6117016.html

well its official, sega sold visual concepts to Take-two... oh well,, at least visual concepts will still be making its quality sports titles for someone.

But in related news:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/01/24/news_6116946.html

Take Two gets exclusive 3rd party rights to MLB

this is a great start, and I hope it leads to no more EA MVP crap for at least 5 years... bastards....

[post=128344]Quoted post[/post]​

EA bought all the sports liceces i think sega had no choice. So much for Sega taking on EA.

Oh well, hopefully the money will go to good use. I own the complete, latest ESPN lineup so I will be happy. Just play w/ old teams and such or download the new updated ones every yr. Either way...

*edit* Typed a lil too fast :p

First off, Visual Concepts is critically acclaimed and makes excellent games. Anyone remember Floigan Brothers?

Second, I thought they were making money off their sports franchises.

Third it states that they're still gonna distribute some VC games in Asia.

And anyway, what games HAS Sega been making lately? I haven't seen much.

The sports games were selling well. But the price point hurt the profits. Thats why they were originally planning on bumpimg the prices to $30-35 next year. Sports games have auwfull costs. In addition to the normal costs, they also have to pay both the NFL and the players union. Also, any licensed individuals, Madden, coverboy, etc. gets payed. I have read some rumored amounts to what Madden gets payed every year, and its ridiculous. Thats why EA is looking at ditch Madden next year.

My guess, Sega will distribute the sports games for the Asian markets.

Just a note, the Take-two deal is with the MLBPA, not MLB itself. What that means is that they may have (semi, if you read the article) exclusive rights to the players' names and likenesses, but not the team names and stadiums.

Back