Sega feature in Edge

Myname

Established Member
This month Edge has run a feature with some interviews from over in Japan as well as Sega Europe, with some pretty interesting stuff. Here's some bits and pieces..

Hisao Oguchi:

When I became CEO I wanted to change the logo to mark a difference in Sega's future. However, I was told it was too much trouble. I don't like the font and wanted something much more stylish. To give you a simple image, Sega was associated with cool and blue, like the logo. I would now like Sega to come between orange and red.

I think there is a lot of room for this type of game [Rez]. Normally we wouldn't make a game again it failed to sell, but since I now decide what appears in Sega's line-up I will evaluate how much originality and new entertainment the game would bring to the industry.

Toshihiro Nagoshi:

Sega was split into too many entitities, which was OK at the time because it allowed each division to complete it's own series and IP.But when it came to creating new content we didn't have the means to accomplish out vision. The reshuffle was about reaching a defined level of quality.

In the past Sega's philosophy was 'technology first'. Second it was about passion, creativity. And third was marketing. It is the other way around for EA. Now for Sega there is no emphasis on what comes first, second or third. We need a defined objective in bringing content for users. It's all about content now.

I know that the series [Super Monkey Ball] has room for three games, but not for the moment.

The problem I face is not what kind of games to make, but how to push people into buying these games.

Yuji Naka:

I would like to keep at least half of the projects original, but I would like to use licences. Before when we made a truly original game it would sell, but as games went to licences it became more difficult. I remember when I made Sonic and Miyamoto-san made Mario we were directly challenging the power of the film industry. Right now games are more like advertisements for movies.

[When asked if a game featuring both Mario and Sonic could happen] Yes, why not? I think from now on there will be more opportunity to talk with Miyamoto-san and think of new ways to collaborate. The entire industry is moving like this, so perhaps there will be very interesting projects in the future.

I see Nights as a licence. When dealing with such a licence from the past it is a lot of work, but I would like to use Nights to reinforce Sega's identity, yes.

Yu Suzuki:

AM2 was too big and I wanted a structure more adapted to my will and ideas.

[When asked if Shenmue III will ever be made, he shrugs his shoulders and looks down at the table and eventually says:] Not yet.

Sega Europe COO Naoya Tsurumi and marketing director Matthew Woodley:

And post Warhammer launch you will see other titles from Sega of a different genre but similar in terms of being on PCs and MMORPGS. There's stuff in Japan being developed for that purpose at the moment.

There's potential with the brands Sega already has to move them into sok many different areas beyond home consoles. There's a world of opportunity in Flash, mobile, online, GBA, whatever. There's big potential there.

[On Eyetoy]We've had consumers suggesting that to us, which is very positive and exciting. You could try that technology with say, Virtua Tennis, something like that. So that's an area we're very keen to look at for future products.

All developers and publishers have had five or six years of devolping for the PS2. We only started two years ago, and that means we're quite disadvantaged. And when we move to the next platform, we'll all be at the same stage and then, we'll HAVE to be big.

In terms of commenting on the state of the industry and where it's going, on pricing or whatever, we'll slowly become more vociferous in that area. We need to get our own house in order first.

Whenn we launches Sonic it was over ten years ago, everyone was excited. Now, unfortunately, it's not like that. So maybe we have to look for new characters, maybe Super Monkey Ball..

Some interesting stuff, no? It's got to be said that nearly all the people talking contradicted each other over the ten pages, so there's obviously a lot of sorting out to do yet..

I was thinking before about Sega doing some Eyetoy games, it's sold like wildfire here so there's obviously a lot of people around who are soon gonna get bored of washing windows and want another game to play with it. Could be a big money spinner.

Any thoughts?

I see Nights as a licence. When dealing with such a licence from the past it is a lot of work, but I would like to use Nights to reinforce Sega's identity, yes.
Ooh! NiGHTS! Yeah, they all have different ideas but they don't really contradict each other (most stuff which they talk about that is similar they tend to agree with each other - eg, Super Monkey Ball, suggested as a good focaliser and also room for more games)

Toshihiro Nagoshi:

The problem I face is not what kind of games to make, but how to push people into buying these games.
It must be so depressing to spend years making killer games but no one buys them...

I get the feeling that the merger of their divisions will cause too much unecessary conflict, for instance the creator of Rez leaving Sega because he was unhappy with the situation. To tell Smilebit to concentrate on sports games for now seems crazy to me too, I know they can do it but it seems a waste of their talents.

Originally posted by cypher-s@Oct 8, 2003 @ 11:15 PM

I get the feeling that the merger of their divisions will cause too much unecessary conflict, for instance the creator of Rez leaving Sega because he was unhappy with the situation. To tell Smilebit to concentrate on sports games for now seems crazy to me too, I know they can do it but it seems a waste of their talents.

Maybe it's me, but whenever I see Smilebit's name, I think Jet Set Radio.

Not sports...

I would now like Sega to come between orange and red.

Say what? Nah, I like the blue. Keep it.

In the past Sega's philosophy was 'technology first'. Second it was about passion, creativity. And third was marketing. It is the other way around for EA.

Quite possibly a summary as to why Sega kicks so much ass. They made good games, marketing be damned. Of course, this is also why they're in so much trouble. If only good games sold themselves. When will people learn that only shitty games need advertising? They've got so little, so they have to pump up what they have to the extreme.

I would like to keep at least half of the projects original, but I would like to use licences. Before when we made a truly original game it would sell, but as games went to licences it became more difficult. I remember when I made Sonic and Miyamoto-san made Mario we were directly challenging the power of the film industry. Right now games are more like advertisements for movies.

Arrgh! :damn: This has to be extremely frustrating for them. I appologize on behalf of all my fellow, retarted, gamers. Though, honestly, I didn't care for the new Sonic games. I wanted so very badly to love them as much as the originals, but I can't. Hell, I find them barely playable at all. But maybe that's just me.

What?! Please, please, PLEASE be true. Wasn't there some article/quote awhile back that said NiGHTS was at an end? I couldn't believe it. Hopefully this is more accurate.

[When asked if Shenmue III will ever be made, he shrugs his shoulders and looks down at the table and eventually says:] Not yet.

Unfortunately, yes... :( Though the "not yet" does imply that they haven't totally forgotten about Shenmue. Just from the reaction it would seem that Yu is eager to make this game, but that Sega won't give him the go ahead because of the cost/time. So it's obviously a sensitive issue. I know they won't let us down. They can't leave Ryo in a cave somewhere for all time. It may be a while, but I'm confident Shenmue III will be out at some point.

And everyone keeps talking about Super Monkey Ball. Is it that good? I've not played either one, but they look like a blast. I'm thinking of getting a GC, and these would be two of the games I'd get first. Hopefully they're as good as the hype.

Originally posted by Quadriflax@Oct 11, 2003 @ 12:45 AM

And everyone keeps talking about Super Monkey Ball. Is it that good? I've not played either one, but they look like a blast. I'm thinking of getting a GC, and these would be two of the games I'd get first. Hopefully they're as good as the hype.

The single-player's great for a while, but wears off eventually.. Multiplayer's a different story if you've got a few game playing mates. It'll last forever.

As for the whole marketing thing.. It's a shame no-one buys decent games, but then most people aren't gonna spend the time sifting through websites looking for good stuff like most of us do. They just want a quick fix and to enjoy themselves for a bit and who can blame them really..

There's got to be a way for them to adapt to the industry now. Look at music, most people don't go out of their way to find interesting stuff to listen to but still there are thriving independant labels for those who do. There has to be a happy medium for companies like Sega, it just might take a while to find it.. This is essentially a very young industry.

I also yhink of Jet Set Radio whenever Smilebit's name is mentioned, I was really sad that the sequel was never released on DC.

I hope Sega are very successful in the future but I can't help but think of Musicians who (having previously been innovators with low sales) attempt to adapt their material to the commercial market and end up selling themselves short. Sega should carry on making original high quality product, since they have only been multi format for a year or two, attempting to imitate companies such as EA will only piss away their legacy and good name in the industry.

The feature on the Mega Drive is also really cool..

..Sega should not change, just sort their damn marketting out!

Yeah I liked the Megadrive feature but it seemed a lot less in depth (at least in the games covered) then all their other retro features, I am not just saying this either.

Also, maybe because I was such a Megadrive head all those years ago, the article didn't really have anything I didn't already know (which Edge features tend to do - find well researched background info). I am not trying to be a smart arse, I just wanted a bit more for my fave childhood console.

Back