SEGA Genesis model 2 S-Video mod

Hi folks, I had several CXA2075M chips laying around, and I finally decided to give it a try with regular model 2 Genesis, that comes with Samsung chip with no chroma/lumina. I replaced KA2195D with CXA2075M, soldering all the pins except for all marked NC in CXA2075M datasheet and the Y/C pins (15 and 16). After this I just glued an S-Video female connector to the motherboard right next to existing A/V connector using some epoxy. I connected pins 15 and 16 to S-Video via 75 Ohm resistors and 220uF capacitors, and voila! Nothig worked. So I switched pins, and this time everything worked great.

The S-Video output quality is amazing. Even composite video out with CXA2075M appears to be better then with Sammy KA2195D. However there is a downside. For unknown reason, sound is now a bit "overloaded". Or may be it's just me. It sounds almost normal, but like it went through an overloaded amplifier. Bizzare.

Anyway. If you have a spare CXA1645 or CXA2075M chip, some time and fair soldering skills, you can easily add S-Video to any model 2 Genesis console.

Hi folks, I had several CXA2075M chips laying around, and I finally decided to give it a try with regular model 2 Genesis, that comes with Samsung chip with no chroma/lumina.

So that's why they say you can't do a S-Video mod on a Genesis 2 without extra stuff. I've always been confused because my Gen 2 has a CXA family chip with the Y and C outputs.

Originally posted by Mask of Destiny@Mon, 2005-11-07 @ 10:19 AM

So that's why they say you can't do a S-Video mod on a Genesis 2 without extra stuff. I've always been confused because my Gen 2 has a CXA family chip with the Y and C outputs.

[post=141456]Quoted post[/post]​

You're lucky, I think SEGA switched from Samsung to Sony in 1996, and all you need to do is lift pins 15/16 then solder a 75 Ohm resistance and 220uF capacitor to each, and you have your S-Video.

Originally posted by dhau@Sun, 2005-11-06 @ 10:56 PM

The S-Video output quality is amazing.

If you think S-Video looks good, you should get an RGB cable and hook it to a monitor. Now THAT looks awesome! I had an RGB + stereo audio cable custom made by Monster Cable years ago. It was worth every penny.

:banana

Originally posted by computolio@Mon, 2006-01-23 @ 03:19 AM

How did you get your hands on a CXA2075 chip? Did you have to scavenge something?

[post=143703]Quoted post[/post]​

I ordered them for 2$ a piece from my friend in Moscow: www.nedopc.com (WARNING! Russian)

Originally posted by Chilly Willy@Wed, 2006-01-25 @ 09:13 PM

If you think S-Video looks good, you should get an RGB cable and hook it to a monitor. Now THAT looks awesome! I had an RGB + stereo audio cable custom made by Monster Cable years ago. It was worth every penny.

In US and Canada, we don't have RGB inputs in our tellies. So S-Video is the only way to go. I have XRGB2+ and cable for Genesis Mk1 and Mk2, as well as SEGA Teradrive PC, that plays Genesis games on VGA monitor natively. But I would'n say it's any better then S-Video on my 27" CRT Sony.

Originally posted by "dhau"

In US and Canada, we don't have RGB inputs in our tellies. So S-Video is the only way to go.

What? Two of the three TVs in my house have RGB input. They were made in the past three years though.

Originally posted by Raijin Z@Sun, 2006-04-23 @ 11:30 AM

What? Two of the three TVs in my house have RGB input. They were made in the past three years though.

[post=145862]Quoted post[/post]​

Good point. You probably reffering to VGA-in, that was avalable on many "HDTV-ready" TVs (pre-HDMI). I still use a 27" Sony CRT SDTV from 2001, so I know little about this. I am not sure how well those inputs perform with classic non-progressive scan RGB devices, such as SEGA Genesis, SNES etc.

Do you use your TV VGA input with SEGA Genesis? If yes, how does it work?

Back